Re: [S-R] SLOVAKIA FOLK CULTURE

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
      Michael,
      Just a word of warning. The book is sort of in English. It is a translation from the original Slovak scholars. The translation is generally poor and sometimes mistaken or misleading. Helen at the Lib. of Congress has been retranslating/re-editing the chapter on Traditional Agriculture and issuing it in periodic small postings in the Slovak World group. She is doing a fantastic job and you can see the difference. Just go there to the archive and search under Traditional Agriculture to see the postings.

      I have clipped and saved each of her postings to keep the entire running text as a Word file. She has added some reference URLs to internet photographs of some of the machinery, tools, animal breeds, and plants mentioned.

      Having seen both versions, I'd say she improved it by about 100 percent. I can send a continuous copy of what she has issued already as an attachment to anyone who wants a copy.

      Curt B.

      > Jenna,
      > This book appears to be the only book in English that covers the subject so thoroughly. Anyone with an interest in the subjects of the listed chapters would want to read it.
      > The catch is the book is not to be found in the USA. I checked Amazon and Alibis for it. I had to order it from Slovakia. The shipping was almost the cost of the book, together $70.

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
        Curt,
        I have not gotten into the chapters yet. The introduction was in very good English. I would like what you have on Helen to make a comparison.

      • Elaine
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
          I would love to receive a copy, Curt. Thanks!

          Elaine

          Epowell@...

          Sent from my iPhone

        • Ron
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
            Michael & all,

            The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.

            Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.

            So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.

            Rn

            > Dear Members,
            > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
            > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
            > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
            > Here are the chapters:
            > Traditional Agrarian Culture
            > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
            > Folk Trade
            > Food and Eating
            > Clothes and Footwear
            > Settlements and Dwelling Place
            > Community of Village and Family
            > Calendar Customs
            > Family Customs
            > Folk Theatre
            > Folk Art
            > Folk Narrative
            > Folk Songs
            > Folk Dance
            > Folk Music

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
              The reference URL to the first installment was stripped from my first posting

              I did't get down far enough in the chain of postings to see that CurtB had already mentioned the serialization.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

              > Michael & all,
              >
              > The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.
              >
              > Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.
              >
              > So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.
              >
              > Rn

              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Dear Members,
              > > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
              > > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
              > > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
              > > Here are the chapters:
              > > Traditional Agrarian Culture
              > > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
              > > Folk Trade
              > > Food and Eating
              > > Clothes and Footwear
              > > Settlements and Dwelling Place
              > > Community of Village and Family
              > > Calendar Customs
              > > Family Customs
              > > Folk Theatre
              > > Folk Art
              > > Folk Narrative
              > > Folk Songs
              > > Folk Dance
              > > Folk Music

            • helene cincebeaux
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
                hi Ron and All -

                Thought i saw copies of this book at the super book store in Kosice on the side
                street leading from St. Elizabeth's.

                helene