Re: [S-R] SLOVAKIA FOLK CULTURE

  • Elaine
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
      Thanks, Michael. Actually it seems to me that the chapter on Community
      of Village and Family could have some very pertinent info, since in
      general our Slovak genealogy searches are so town/village-based. When
      you get to that one, see what you think.

      Thanks,

      Elaine

      Sent from my iPhone

      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
        Go for it!

        Bill

        On Aug 6, 2010, at 6:56 PM, Elaine <epowell@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, Michael. Actually it seems to me that the chapter on Community
        > of Village and Family could have some very pertinent info, since in
        > general our Slovak genealogy searches are so town/village-based. When
        > you get to that one, see what you think.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Elaine
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On Aug 6, 2010, at 4:08 PM, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        >> Dear Members,
        >> I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture
        >> which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
        >> Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not
        >> genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots
        >> I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
        >> Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
        >> Here are the chapters:
        >> Traditional Agrarian Culture
        >> Handicrafts and Home-Produce
        >> Folk Trade
        >> Food and Eating
        >> Clothes and Footwear
        >> Settlements and Dwelling Place
        >> Community of Village and Family
        >> Calendar Customs
        >> Family Customs
        >> Folk Theatre
        >> Folk Art
        >> Folk Narrative
        >> Folk Songs
        >> Folk Dance
        >> Folk Music

        > ! Groups Links

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
          Thanks Bill. With your permission I will answer questions on Slovak-Roots.
          I have just read the Introduction and it was a real "eye-opener" on several subjects.
          The influence of the Germans to fill the need of serfs in the 12th century and the arrival of the Walachia in the 14th century had profound changes on village life in Slovakia. Along with the Walachia came Ruthenians and Poles. Under "German village law" the entire population received hereditary part of the soil. A major change from the serf laws of the Hungarians. This only held for "German villages".
          What the Germans did for property rights the Walachia did for agriculture. Then introduced new farming methods and breeds that resulted in a huge production of sheep that made Slovakia a major exporter of sheep's milk products and wool.
          Another fact was the Hungarians allowed their counties totally autonomy to be ruled as the local royalty wished. And the Hungarians and Slovaks lived rather homogeneously. The Hungarians at times even selected Slovak ways over their own.

          > Thanks, Michael. Actually it seems to me that the chapter on Community
          > of Village and Family could have some very pertinent info, since in
          > general our Slovak genealogy searches are so town/village-based. When
          > you get to that one, see what you think.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Elaine
          >
          > Sent from my iPhone
          >
          > On Aug 6, 2010, at 4:08 PM, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          >> Dear Members,
          >> I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture
          >> which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
          >> Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not
          >> genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots
          >> I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
          >> Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
          >> Here are the chapters:
          >> Traditional Agrarian Culture
          >> Handicrafts and Home-Produce
          >> Folk Trade
          >> Food and Eating
          >> Clothes and Footwear
          >> Settlements and Dwelling Place
          >> Community of Village and Family
          >> Calendar Customs
          >> Family Customs
          >> Folk Theatre
          >> Folk Art
          >> Folk Narrative
          >> Folk Songs
          >> Folk Dance
          >> Folk Music

          > ! Groups Links

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 6, 2010
            Elaine,
            I can see where Family Customs, Calendar Customs and Food and Eating would be of great interest. Since we may all have been exposed to those.

            wrote:

            > Dear Members,
            > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture
            > which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
            > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not
            > genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots
            > I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
            > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
            > Here are the chapters:
            > Traditional Agrarian Culture
            > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
            > Folk Trade
            > Food and Eating
            > Clothes and Footwear
            > Settlements and Dwelling Place
            > Community of Village and Family
            > Calendar Customs
            > Family Customs
            > Folk Theatre
            > Folk Art
            > Folk Narrative
            > Folk Songs
            > Folk Dance
            > Folk Music

          • jenna-m
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
              It's been a while since this group read/ discussed a book. When you start to get
              into it, maybe you want to think whether you'd recommend it as a read?
              Jenna

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                Extremely interesting, William!
                I look forward to reading more of your insights.
                Barbara

                > I have just read the Introduction and it was a real "eye-opener" on several subjects.
                > The influence of the Germans to fill the need of serfs in the 12th century and the arrival of the Walachia in the 14th century had profound changes on village life in Slovakia. Along with the Walachia came Ruthenians and Poles. Under "German village law" the entire population received hereditary part of the soil. A major change from the serf laws of the Hungarians. This only held for "German villages".
                > What the Germans did for property rights the Walachia did for agriculture. Then introduced new farming methods and breeds that resulted in a huge production of sheep that made Slovakia a major exporter of sheep's milk products and wool.
                > Another fact was the Hungarians allowed their counties totally autonomy to be ruled as the local royalty wished. And the Hungarians and Slovaks lived rather homogeneously. The Hungarians at times even selected Slovak ways over their own.

              • tomfgurka
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                  I will state regarding the"AUTONOMY" part to be questionable?
                  Perhaps this was true sometimes. I understand that there were also
                  periods of extreme MAGYARIZATION, when the Hungarians wouldn't even permit
                  the Slovaks to speak Slovak to one another. And, of course, this is what
                  eventually led to the formation of Czechoslovakia. To be free of the yoke
                  of "Magyarization".

                  There were some violent things that happened sometimes.

                  I am still trying to explore exactly what happened to my grandmother's
                  family, and exactly WHY, "Their farm was taken away from them. All who
                  stayed behind were killed".?

                  Only too often history is "sanitized"?? Of course all of history, I
                  am learning , is SIMPLY, SOMEONES VIEWPOINT??

                  Tom

                  _____

                  I look forward to reading more of your insights.
                  Barbara

                  > I have just read the Introduction and it was a real "eye-opener" on
                  several subjects.
                  > The influence of the Germans to fill the need of serfs in the 12th century
                  and the arrival of the Walachia in the 14th century had profound changes on
                  village life in Slovakia. Along with the Walachia came Ruthenians and Poles.
                  Under "German village law" the entire population received hereditary part of
                  the soil. A major change from the serf laws of the Hungarians. This only
                  held for "German villages".
                  > What the Germans did for property rights the Walachia did for agriculture.
                  Then introduced new farming methods and breeds that resulted in a huge
                  production of sheep that made Slovakia a major exporter of sheep's milk
                  products and wool.
                  > Another fact was the Hungarians allowed their counties totally autonomy to
                  be ruled as the local royalty wished. And the Hungarians and Slovaks lived
                  rather homogeneously. The Hungarians at times even selected Slovak ways over
                  their own.

                • Nick Holcz
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                    At , you wrote:

                    >I will state regarding the"AUTONOMY" part to be questionable?
                    >Perhaps this was true sometimes. I understand that there were also
                    >periods of extreme MAGYARIZATION, when the Hungarians wouldn't even permit
                    >the Slovaks to speak Slovak to one another. And, of course, this is what
                    >eventually led to the formation of Czechoslovakia. To be free of the yoke
                    >of "Magyarization".

                    Maybe losing WW1 may have been the major reason the Czechs and
                    Slovaks were freed from the Austro Hungarian empire.
                    Nck

                    No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.
                    William Blake
                  • Ben Sorensen
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                      Hi Tom,
                      I don't think they mean that the peasants had any "autonomy," but rather the
                      Dukes and lower nobility could rule thier plots as they saw fit, without much
                      interference from the crown.  That does NOT mean that the hoi polloi were living
                      in democratic bliss.  Forced Madarization gets alot of airplay, and it was a
                      bad, bad policy- but you have to wonder about its real effectiveness with the
                      fact that you do find alot of documents from that period in Slovak, as well as
                      the poetry of Hviezdoslav, and the strength of the movement towards the creation
                      of Czechoslovakia afterwards.  It was bad enough, in any case, to be a spark
                      that lit the fires of independence.

                      History is always someone's point of view- most often the victor's. :-)
                      Ben

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                        Jenna,
                        This book appears to be the only book in English that covers the subject so thoroughly. Anyone with an interest in the subjects of the listed chapters would want to read it.
                        The catch is the book is not to be found in the USA. I checked Amazon and Alibis for it. I had to order it from Slovakia. The shipping was almost the cost of the book, together $70.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                          Tom,
                          You must also take into account that the Hungarian control of Slovak territory had a 900 year history. During that period there were all sorts of changes in the political landscape. Magyarization was in the middle 1800's, at the end of their domination.
                          I am well of aware of the phrase, "The winners write the history."
                          Czechoslovakia was not created because of Magyarization. It was how the former territory of the Austro-Hungarian Empire was divided up after they lost WW I.
                          Tell more about your family. Where and when this took place. We have some knowledgeable people that might direct your search. Do it with a new e-mail so we can follow that thread instead of this one.
                          Michael

                          I look forward to reading more of your insights.
                          Barbara

                          > I have just read the Introduction and it was a real "eye-opener" on
                          several subjects.
                          > The influence of the Germans to fill the need of serfs in the 12th century
                          and the arrival of the Walachia in the 14th century had profound changes on
                          village life in Slovakia. Along with the Walachia came Ruthenians and Poles.
                          Under "German village law" the entire population received hereditary part of
                          the soil. A major change from the serf laws of the Hungarians. This only
                          held for "German villages".
                          > What the Germans did for property rights the Walachia did for agriculture.
                          Then introduced new farming methods and breeds that resulted in a huge
                          production of sheep that made Slovakia a major exporter of sheep's milk
                          products and wool.
                          > Another fact was the Hungarians allowed their counties totally autonomy to
                          be ruled as the local royalty wished. And the Hungarians and Slovaks lived
                          rather homogeneously. The Hungarians at times even selected Slovak ways over
                          their own.

                        • CurtB
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                            Michael,
                            Just a word of warning. The book is sort of in English. It is a translation from the original Slovak scholars. The translation is generally poor and sometimes mistaken or misleading. Helen at the Lib. of Congress has been retranslating/re-editing the chapter on Traditional Agriculture and issuing it in periodic small postings in the Slovak World group. She is doing a fantastic job and you can see the difference. Just go there to the archive and search under Traditional Agriculture to see the postings.

                            I have clipped and saved each of her postings to keep the entire running text as a Word file. She has added some reference URLs to internet photographs of some of the machinery, tools, animal breeds, and plants mentioned.

                            Having seen both versions, I'd say she improved it by about 100 percent. I can send a continuous copy of what she has issued already as an attachment to anyone who wants a copy.

                            Curt B.

                            > Jenna,
                            > This book appears to be the only book in English that covers the subject so thoroughly. Anyone with an interest in the subjects of the listed chapters would want to read it.
                            > The catch is the book is not to be found in the USA. I checked Amazon and Alibis for it. I had to order it from Slovakia. The shipping was almost the cost of the book, together $70.

                          • Michael Mojher
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                              Curt,
                              I have not gotten into the chapters yet. The introduction was in very good English. I would like what you have on Helen to make a comparison.

                            • Elaine
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                                I would love to receive a copy, Curt. Thanks!

                                Elaine

                                Epowell@...

                                Sent from my iPhone

                              • Ron
                                Message 15 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                                  Michael & all,

                                  The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.

                                  Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.

                                  So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.

                                  Rn

                                  > Dear Members,
                                  > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
                                  > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
                                  > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
                                  > Here are the chapters:
                                  > Traditional Agrarian Culture
                                  > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
                                  > Folk Trade
                                  > Food and Eating
                                  > Clothes and Footwear
                                  > Settlements and Dwelling Place
                                  > Community of Village and Family
                                  > Calendar Customs
                                  > Family Customs
                                  > Folk Theatre
                                  > Folk Art
                                  > Folk Narrative
                                  > Folk Songs
                                  > Folk Dance
                                  > Folk Music

                                • Ron
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Aug 7, 2010
                                    The reference URL to the first installment was stripped from my first posting

                                    I did't get down far enough in the chain of postings to see that CurtB had already mentioned the serialization.

                                    Ron

                                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                                    > Michael & all,
                                    >
                                    > The book is a good one & for those interested, it has been serialized on Slovak World since May 7th, with about 52 parts having been posted under "Traditional agriculture--XX" with XX for the serialization number. Helen F. is doing the work and cleaning up the language (the translation is sometimes convoluted and in confusing English}.
                                    >
                                    > Is IS a fine book, one I have had for some years now. It seems to be related or derived from "An Ehtnographic Atlas of Slovakia", a large and heavy book that came out a year or two earlier. I have been in Slovakia 3 weeks now and regularly haunted book stores and haven't seen either book, but that is not to say they are not to be found.
                                    >
                                    > So if you want to read & follow parts of the book, go onto Slovak World and join the discussion there as well as here.
                                    >
                                    > Rn

                                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Dear Members,
                                    > > I ordered a book, Slovakia: European Contexts of the Folk Culture which was published by the Slovak Academie of Sciences.
                                    > > Per se this is an "off subject" for Slovak-Roots. Since it is not genealogy. Since so many of us do not know about our cultural roots I am willing to take "off-site" questions you may have.
                                    > > Each chapter has been researched and written by a person with a PhD.
                                    > > Here are the chapters:
                                    > > Traditional Agrarian Culture
                                    > > Handicrafts and Home-Produce
                                    > > Folk Trade
                                    > > Food and Eating
                                    > > Clothes and Footwear
                                    > > Settlements and Dwelling Place
                                    > > Community of Village and Family
                                    > > Calendar Customs
                                    > > Family Customs
                                    > > Folk Theatre
                                    > > Folk Art
                                    > > Folk Narrative
                                    > > Folk Songs
                                    > > Folk Dance
                                    > > Folk Music

                                  • helene cincebeaux
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Aug 8, 2010
                                      hi Ron and All -

                                      Thought i saw copies of this book at the super book store in Kosice on the side
                                      street leading from St. Elizabeth's.

                                      helene