Re: Zahorchak Court Case

  • John
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
      >>> Records Under the Freedom of information act can be obtained through the Mayors office......I spoke to them and they put me through to the Police Records Div.

      I spoke with the desk Sgt.?(Thick NY Accent)whom seemed very interested.
      He took all the information I was able to give him and said he would call back if they can find the information or where it can be located.

      Total time maybe 10 minutes....let's see what happens.

      Dennis <<<

      Dennis, did you ever get a response to the police query about the disposition of the Zahorchak court case? [. . . Grand Jury on a technical charge of homicide Robert Defeis, eighteen, of Franklin Avenue, Thornwood.]

      I have been away and may have missed the posting.
    • haluska
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
        No John I have not.I sent you an E-mail when I saw you had returned.
        I will call again today....

        Dennis

        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
          John,

          I spoke with the Medical Examiners Office,

          They did not cremate then and he was buried.....

          Office of Medical Examiner:
          10 Dana Road, Valhalla, NY 10595-1555
          (914) 231-1600 )

          An Autopsy was performed March 4, 1942 by Dr. Amos O'Squire.

          The woman there confirmed the information we have from her records and
          they match the news articles.

          They have John listed though as......note, John Zahorchok. with an "O"

          He lived in "Hawthorn" and died on the 3rd.

          The disposition of his remains will be listed on the Death Certificate
          that you may obtain from:

          http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/genealogy.htm
          <http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/genealogy.htm>

          You will have to fill out the application. You are a direct line
          descendant and the record has been on file for more than 50 years so
          there should be no problem.

          I believe the cost is $22.50 for an uncertified copy for Genealogy
          purposes.

          Once you get the DC,confirm it with the Cemetery.
          Other than that you can call around to the different area cemeteries
          since you have all the correct dates. I have called Kensico and Gates of
          Heaven. (Both the nearest and oldest near the coroners office) He is
          buried in neither one. I have also contacted the NY State Police
          looking into archived records of the case.
          New York State Police
          Public Information Office
          Bldg. 22, 1220 Washington Ave.
          Albany, New York 12226

          Oh yes. I also posted on the Westchester County board on Ancestry...

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
            Dennis, great work. Thanks for the help.

            John Adam

            >>> I spoke with the Medical Examiners Office,

            They did not cremate then and he was buried . . .

            An Autopsy was performed March 4, 1942 by Dr. Amos O'Squire.

            The woman there confirmed the information we have from her records and they match the news articles.

            They have John listed though as......note, John Zahorchok. with an "O"

            He lived in "Hawthorn" and died on the 3rd.
            . . .

            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 16, 2010
              Dear Mr. Halusker Sr.:

              Reference is made to your e-mail request for records, received at this
              office on August 9, 2010, pursuant to the requirements of Article 6 of
              the Public Officers Law (Freedom of Information).

              Please be advised that we are currently processing your request. You
              will receive a written response to your request upon completion of our
              review in approximately twenty (20) business days.

              Very truly yours,

              Captain Laurie M. Wagner
              Records Access Officer
              Central Records Bureau

              > To date, we have been able to make some wonderful inroads into the
              life and times of John Zahorchak.

              > We have established that John Zahorchak (Jan Zahorcak) was born 20 Sep
              1905 and died 3 Mar 1942. The places mentioned in two newspaper articles
              concerning his untimely death are Eastview, Thornwood and Pleasantville,
              Westchester County, NY.

              > Given those facts, can we establish where he is buried (without paying
              fees to agencies that make promises but may not deliver the goods)?

              > There is probably no headstone marking the grave site.

            • John
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 16, 2010
                Dennis, my ongoing thanks for your efforts.

                Cousin Milan Kicka, Sobrance, now has a birthplace for his grandfather as a result of research by George Dolnack; the story of his untimely death from your good work; and now the likely disposition of the court case against his alleged killer.

                As well, at your suggestion, I have requested docs that will likely tell us the disposition of the body in 1942.

                While the facts of Zahorchak's life are quite sad, it is only now that his direct family in Slovakia is learning them. This makes our genealogical research worthwhile.

                John Adam

                Message 7 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                  Dennis et al, after a few months we finally got the document from NY State and it tells us that John Zahorcak was buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

                  Cause of death was cerebral hemorrhage and fractured skull.

                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 10 7:22 PM
                    Recently, John Beach photographed a Sleepy Hollow cemetery site and the photos were forwarded to Slovakia. It has been a long and bumpy road but very worthwhile.

                    Thanks to everyone for their piece of the puzzle.

                    John Adam

                    ***************

                    Hi John

                    Thank you very much for your message. I am very pleased. I never thought to get to the bottom where my grandfather is buried. It's amazing and I am extremely grateful to all who contributed to this success. Once again, very, very nicely thank you.

                    Milan
                    Slovakia

                    *********************

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 11 5:30 AM
                      That is great John ! Was it the record we requested under the Freedom of Information act from the coroner?

                      Was there a headstone? I would love to see the document. Could you forward it please?

                      Glad to help!

                      Dennis

                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 12 8:57 AM
                        Just recieved the information John Q. So who could have possibly placed the Headstone? It does seem like a newer "Granite" Stone.

                        Stones around that time (1942) from my experience were mostly of a sandstone type that wore rather quickly.

                        I am sure that this is not true in every case but our John Zahorchak died alone in this country and lived in a boarding house.

                        Who could have bought him a stone?

                        I would invite everyone here at S-R to review John Zahorchak posts and follow this very interesting fellow.

                        The mystery continues.....

                        Dennis

                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 12 9:18 AM
                          John Beach has asked the Sleepy Hollow cemetery manager if they have any information on how the headstone came to be. No response yet.