RE: [S-R] Proczin, Saros, Austria-Hungary - 1800's

  • Janet Kozlay
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 2010
      Well, I couldn't see anything in Saros either, which is why I thought of
      checking elsewhere.

      Janet

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      ] On
      Behalf Of martha.andras
      Sent: Friday, July 23, 2010 7:16 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: [S-R] Proczin, Saros, Austria-Hungary - 1800's

      Hi! I was told recently by a relative that he thought one of our ancestral
      towns was Proczin. (of course there is no documentation!) I've been
      searching for a town by that name but cannot find one. Does anyone know if
      this was a legitimate town during the 1800's? If not - any suggestions?
      Thanks! Martha

    • martha.andras
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 24, 2010
        Hi Everyone,

        Thanks for your responses. This is the first time I'd heard of Proczin. The entire family was from Eastern Slovakia, Saros (towns of Duplin, Tisinec and Rakocz), which is documented. Some were Roman Catholic, some were Greek Catholic. So, I think the best guess for this new town would be Procs. I've been searching a long time for the names Pundcsak & Kundrat and have never seen a reference to Proczin I was just curious if it indeed was a town due to it being mentioned in my family. Does anyone know what town the church records for Procs would be under on the Pilot? I could check them. Maybe I'd find a nice surprise!

        Thanks!

        Martha

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

        > Well, I couldn't see anything in Saros either, which is why I thought of
        > checking elsewhere.
        >

        > Janet

      • Janet Kozlay
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 24, 2010
          I concur that Procs must be it.

          Roman Catholic records will be with Posfalu (HU), Pusovce (SK).

          Greek Catholic records will be with Fulyan (HU), Fulianka (SK).

          Hope you find your folks.

          Janet

          , "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

          > Well, I couldn't see anything in Saros either, which is why I thought of
          > checking elsewhere.
          >

          > Janet
          >

          > From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
          ] On
          > Behalf Of Michael Mojher
          > Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 8:48 AM
          > To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Subject: Re: [S-R] Proczin, Saros, Austria-Hungary - 1800's
          >

          > Searched in Saros for Proczin in the 1828 Hungarian Census Village Names
          > (Radix) and 1882 Gazetteer of Hungary (Radix), no listing.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 24, 2010
            Procs records appear to be with the village of Pusovce. I took a look and Procs was clearly written.
            Normally I would use the 1995 Census to see where your surname is located. But that website is down today.

            Thanks for your responses. This is the first time I'd heard of Proczin. The entire family was from Eastern Slovakia, Saros (towns of Duplin, Tisinec and Rakocz), which is documented. Some were Roman Catholic, some were Greek Catholic. So, I think the best guess for this new town would be Procs. I've been searching a long time for the names Pundcsak & Kundrat and have never seen a reference to Proczin I was just curious if it indeed was a town due to it being mentioned in my family. Does anyone know what town the church records for Procs would be under on the Pilot? I could check them. Maybe I'd find a nice surprise!

            Thanks!

            Martha

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Janet Kozlay" <kozlay@...> wrote:

            > Well, I couldn't see anything in Saros either, which is why I thought of
            > checking elsewhere.
            >

            > Janet

          • genmom4
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 26, 2010
              Dear Martha,

              You don't mention whether or not you think that your relatives all came from the same proximity.

              When I looked at the Dvorzsak gazetteer, in Saros on pg. 512, I found
              #54. Rakocz (Rakovec), Roman Catholic church in the town of Radoma; GK in the town of Hrabovcsik.
              # 68. Tisinyecz( Tisinec, Tissinyec), RK records in Duplin; GK records in Boksa.

              Entry #53, just above Rakocz, lists the town of Psztrina (Posztrina). RK records located in Duplin. Holds its own GK church.

              Now, I realize that there is a difference in pronunciation, but, personally, since this town is located in the same church district as the other three, I'd check it out, particularly if you have info that indicates that the family lived in close proximity. You can find GK records online at the Family Search page for the Slovakia records. Since you are able to look for free, it would be worth checking it out. All you have to lose is your time.
              Good luck.

              Barbara