Re: [S-R] Surnames for Illegitimate Children Migrating to America

  • JimD
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2010
      Bill – I have read your response and the referenced descriptions of "CONCUBINA."

      I doubt the "nobility" class for the male member since a generation earlier, the 1828 census for HAZLIN identifies two heads of family with his surname – neither owned property nor animals. In fact, two heads of family with the woman's surname in nearby BELOVEZA owned two cows, two sheep, and a swine between the two families.

      Instead, I believe this is an example of "permanent concubinage," as described in the New Advent Catholic Encyclopedia, where both parties intended to form a lifelong union. Probably, the unmarried couple was not welcomed in either the man's Roman Catholic Church or the woman's Greek Catholic Church, but the woman's Greek Catholic Priest could not refuse to baptize a newborn child. Why the couple did not marry in either church will remain a mystery, but I will review the records for HAZLIN in the late 1800s for any clues or similar examples.

      Thank you.

      Jim