Re: [S-R] Old Maps Czechoslovakia, Bohemia, Moravia, Silesia

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
      Milan,
      Simple answer is no. Throughout the period of the 1600's this was one of the few stable borders. There was no Austro-Hungarian Empire. But the Hapbsurgs were in power in vienna. The ajacent border territory of what is now Italy was the quite large Republic of Venice.

      Curt B

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Milan Olle <coolkeytool@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the info guys!!! Thanks for jogging my memory. It's been a while since I've been in school.
      >
      > The info didn't help with my problem though.
      >
      > This is the story I'm trying to debunk: At a time when the austro-hungarian empire was at war with what is now Northern Italy. The empire's army captured my italian ancestor who was a high ranking soldier of some notibility. He was brought before Count Druget. Because Count Druget was also of Italian ancestry Count Druget let the soldier live and placed him in the area of Pcoline.
      >
      > Facts:
      > 1. I have found evidence that my family has been in the Pcoline area since 1772.
      >
      > 2. The last time I was in Slovakia I met my cousin who studied anthropology in university. He claims he saw evidence that my family was in Pcoline in the early 1700's.
      >
      > Questions:
      > 1. Was the Austro-Hungarian empire at war with the region which is now Northern Italy in the 1600's?
      >
      > 2. If so, what part and when exactly?
      >
      > Milan

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 9, 2010
        The 16th - 17th Centuries was the era of The Ottoman Empires greatest expansion into Europe. Their European enemy was the Hapsburg Empire. During this period the area that is present day Hungary was referred to as Hungary and it was controlled by the Ottomans. The rest to the north, in modern Slovakia was referred to as Royal Hungary. Because the Hungarian royalty made Bratislava their home. By the Ottoman's maximum expansion north in 1683 their border was just north of Kosice and reached west almost to just south of Trnava. The Ottoman's eastern border was the Dnieper River in the Ukraine Their final assault in 1682 to capture Vienna failed and by 1700 they were driven out of much of the Kingdom of Hungary, to south of the Sava and Danube Rivers.
        The Hapsburg Empire and Italy during the late 17th Century were made up of smaller royal state and the Papal States. Venice controlled most of northern Italy. Habsburg Austria did move into the Italian peninsula, they acquired Naples between 1714 and 1735 and Sicily from 1720 and 1735. They controlled them for a few decades. The lasting acquisitions were of Mantua in 1714 and in the 1730's they captured Parma and eventually the rest of Tuscany.
        If you had an ancestor captured in battle with the Hapsburgs it would have been between 1714 and 1735.