Re: [S-R] 1869 Census

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 9 11:27 AM
      Thanks Bill. I can believe that the census records would be low priority for the LDS but it sure would be nice to have it. The one for Zemplen county has provided me with a lot of information about my various families and has straightened out some confusing things. Likewise, there is a lot of missing parts to my Gomor families and I'm sure the census would help me fill in those blanks as well. But I'll also be happy when the LDS puts the Gomor Church records on-line.
      Carl

      > Carl,
      >
      > It's not a priority. Read about why the Mormons do this and you quickly
      > realize that the birth/marriage/death records are vastly more important to
      > them. Those records were filmed a long time ago when they were in the
      > Hungary archives filming other stuff. They were also filmed before the
      > Velvet Divorce (1993) if I remember correctly. Each country relationship
      > has to be separately negotiated and are often in a state of flux.
      >
      > I do not know the current FHL-Hungary status, but there may not be a
      > current agreement to film with Hungary. The 1920 Treaty of Trianon called
      > for records to be transferred to the successor states. We all know that
      > was never complete. There are many logistic reasons why books can't be
      > broken apart, and data are sometimes commingled.
      >
      > I can tell you with some confidence that our little campaign a few years
      > ago to encourage the FHL to complete filming Slovakia was influential.
      >
      > Bill
      >
      > On Fri, July 9, 2010 12:27 pm, Carl wrote:
      > > I did not realize that the 1869 Census for the counties that are now in
      > > Slovakia is in the Hungarian Archives and not in the Slovakian archives.
      > > I have asked the Slovak archives several times if they had the census for
      > > Gomor and they always say no that it was lost. But maybe that is not
      > > true. The LDS has filmed the census records for only six of the twelve
      > > counties now in Slovakia. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have filmed
      > > any more census records for many years now. Does anyone know why that is?

      > --
      > Bill

    • kolarikj
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 5, 2016

        I hope that someone who knows more can give a more positive answer.

        This is the information that I've found:

        According to JewishGen (http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Hungary/Census1869SzepesGaz.htm), "no data was available for the 13 cities with their own magistrates: Bela, Gnezda, Iglo, Leibicz, Lublo, Podolin, Poprad, Szepes-Olaszi, Szepes-Szombat, Szepes-Varalja, Golnicz, Kesmark, and Locse."

        Are you sure that your ancestor was from Iglo?  Our family stories said that my great-grandmother and her family were from Iglo, but it turns out that she was really from a nearby village and that village does appear in the 1869 census:
        Istvánfalu (Malá Štefanova)
        Slovakia Census, 1869; pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28478-4082-8 — FamilySearch.org

         Joan Kolárik