Re: [S-R] 1869 Census

    Message 1 of 42 , Jul 9 9:44 AM
      Carl,

      It's not a priority. Read about why the Mormons do this and you quickly
      realize that the birth/marriage/death records are vastly more important to
      them. Those records were filmed a long time ago when they were in the
      Hungary archives filming other stuff. They were also filmed before the
      Velvet Divorce (1993) if I remember correctly. Each country relationship
      has to be separately negotiated and are often in a state of flux.

      I do not know the current FHL-Hungary status, but there may not be a
      current agreement to film with Hungary. The 1920 Treaty of Trianon called
      for records to be transferred to the successor states. We all know that
      was never complete. There are many logistic reasons why books can't be
      broken apart, and data are sometimes commingled.

      I can tell you with some confidence that our little campaign a few years
      ago to encourage the FHL to complete filming Slovakia was influential.

      Bill

      On Fri, July 9, 2010 12:27 pm, Carl wrote:
      > I did not realize that the 1869 Census for the counties that are now in
      > Slovakia is in the Hungarian Archives and not in the Slovakian archives.
      > I have asked the Slovak archives several times if they had the census for
      > Gomor and they always say no that it was lost. But maybe that is not
      > true. The LDS has filmed the census records for only six of the twelve
      > counties now in Slovakia. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have filmed
      > any more census records for many years now. Does anyone know why that is?

      Bill
    • kolarikj
      Message 42 of 42 , Mar 5, 2016

        I hope that someone who knows more can give a more positive answer.

        This is the information that I've found:

        According to JewishGen (http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/Hungary/Census1869SzepesGaz.htm), "no data was available for the 13 cities with their own magistrates: Bela, Gnezda, Iglo, Leibicz, Lublo, Podolin, Poprad, Szepes-Olaszi, Szepes-Szombat, Szepes-Varalja, Golnicz, Kesmark, and Locse."

        Are you sure that your ancestor was from Iglo?  Our family stories said that my great-grandmother and her family were from Iglo, but it turns out that she was really from a nearby village and that village does appear in the 1869 census:
        Istvánfalu (Malá Štefanova)
        Slovakia Census, 1869; pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1961-28478-4082-8 — FamilySearch.org

         Joan Kolárik