Re: Where was Zahorchak buried?

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
      The articles mentioned an investigation into John's Death.
      Possibly, you may obtain the results and gain further insight ie:coroners report,D.C.additional names etc. ?

      > To date, we have been able to make some wonderful inroads into the life and times of John Zahorchak.
      >
      > We have established that John Zahorchak (Jan Zahorcak) was born 20 Sep 1905 and died 3 Mar 1942. The places mentioned in two newspaper articles concerning his untimely death are Eastview, Thornwood and Pleasantville, Westchester County, NY.
      >
      > Given those facts, can we establish where he is buried (without paying fees to agencies that make promises but may not deliver the goods)?
      >
      > There is probably no headstone marking the grave site.

    • John
      Message 2 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
        >>> The articles mentioned an investigation into John's Death.
        Possibly, you may obtain the results and gain further insight ie:coroners report,D.C.additional names etc. ? <<<

        Sorry to say that the two newspaper articles, already uncovered, are the ONLY references to Zahorchak, Chincik or Defeis, the alleged murderer. I was unable to locate anything covering the disposition of the court case against Defeis.
      • haluska
        Message 3 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
          I was suggesting not searching the site further but to contact the municipalty/police dept. where his death occured......

          If the records are still around,they would be considered public records obtainable under the FOIA. If in fact an investigation occured.

          Dennis

          Message 4 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
            "There is probably no headstone marking the grave site."

            Medical Examiner Amos O. Squire/Grasslands Hospital

            The three nearest cemeteries are, Mt.Pleasant Cemetery,Gate of Heaven Cemetery,Kensico Cemetery.(These are located very near the hospital).

            Other area Cemeteries are:

            Cat Ridge Cemetery
            Dale Cemetery
            Ferncliff Cemetery
            Greenwood Union Cemetery
            Ivandale Cemetery
            Mount Hope Cemetery
            Oakwood Cemetery (Mount Kisco)
            Reynolds-Cross River Cemetery
            Sleepy Hollow Cemetery
            South Salem Cemetery
            Saint Mary Cemetery

            Message 5 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
              >>> I was suggesting not searching the site further but to contact the municipalty/police dept. where his death occured......

              If the records are still around,they would be considered public records obtainable under the FOIA. If in fact an investigation occured. <<<

              I asked a legal acquaintance about that possibility. He suggested that it might be very expensive.
            • haluska
              Message 6 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                Records Under the Freedom of information act can be obtained through the Mayors office......I spoke to them and they put me through to the Police Records Div.

                I spoke with the desk Sgt.?(Thick NY Accent)whom seemed very interested.
                He took all the information I was able to give him and said he would call back if they can find the information or where it can be located.

                Total time maybe 10 minutes....let's see what happens.

                Dennis

                Message 7 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                  >>> Records Under the Freedom of information act can be obtained through the Mayors office......I spoke to them and they put me through to the Police Records Div.

                  I spoke with the desk Sgt.?(Thick NY Accent)whom seemed very interested.
                  He took all the information I was able to give him and said he would call back if they can find the information or where it can be located.

                  Total time maybe 10 minutes....let's see what happens. <<<

                  That's phenomenal!!!!

                  If we manage to acquire that information, it will "close the book" on a family mystery that dates back into the past century. The folks in Slovakia will be very grateful. Just to repeat, here's the relevant story.

                  THE HERALD STATESMAN, YONKERS, N. Y., FRIDAY, MARCH 6, 1942
                  GRAND JURY GETS JANITOR DEATH CASE

                  WHITE PLAINS - Medical Examiner Amos O. Squire today held for the Grand Jury on a technical charge of homicide Robert Defeis, eighteen, of Franklin Avenue, Thornwood, in connection with the death of John Zahorchak, thirty-six-year-old janitor of Pleasantville Cottage School.
                  Dr. Squire said Defeis told authorities that Zahorchak was acting disorderly in the Defeis store in Thornwood Sunday night and that he had ejected him from the place. He pushed the man out of the door and closed it, he said.
                  Zahorchak died in Grasslands Hospital Tuesday of a fractured skull. He was found unconscious Monday in his room at the school by Michael Chincik, a fellow employee.
                  Defeis said Zahorchak was annoying a young woman who was in the store and was ejected.
                • haluska
                  Message 8 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                    Also I e-mailed http://www.kensico.org/ It is the oldest/largest cemetery and very near the hospital/medical examiner's office
                    where the article refers to.

                    I have recieved many records over the years just using this approach....

                    All you have to do at times is ask....
                    Time will tell.

                    Now, JohnQadams Hit the boards!

                    Message 9 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                      Can you tell me if John Zahorchak is burried in your Cemetery?

                      I have attached a news paper article with the information that I have taken from The Herald Statesman,Yonkers,NY Wednesday,March 4,1942.

                      John was alone in this Country at the time of his death and it is presumed that he may been burried by the county of Westchester following an investigation into his death.

                      Any help is appreciated!

                      Kindest Regards,

                      5 minutes ago......

                      Dear Dennis,

                      I have checked our records and sorry to say that John Zahorchak was not buried here in Kensico. You may want to check with Gate of Heaven cemetery located nearby us. Their phone number is 914-769-3672.

                      Kind regards,

                      Lillian Collado

                      Message 10 of 23 , Jul 1, 2010
                        Dennis, your approach is quite simple and amazing. Thank you.
                      • John
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 3, 2010
                          >>> Records Under the Freedom of information act can be obtained through the Mayors office......I spoke to them and they put me through to the Police Records Div.

                          I spoke with the desk Sgt.?(Thick NY Accent)whom seemed very interested.
                          He took all the information I was able to give him and said he would call back if they can find the information or where it can be located.

                          Total time maybe 10 minutes....let's see what happens.

                          Dennis <<<

                          Dennis, did you ever get a response to the police query about the disposition of the Zahorchak court case? [. . . Grand Jury on a technical charge of homicide Robert Defeis, eighteen, of Franklin Avenue, Thornwood.]

                          I have been away and may have missed the posting.
                        • haluska
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                            No John I have not.I sent you an E-mail when I saw you had returned.
                            I will call again today....

                            Dennis

                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                              John,

                              I spoke with the Medical Examiners Office,

                              They did not cremate then and he was buried.....

                              Office of Medical Examiner:
                              10 Dana Road, Valhalla, NY 10595-1555
                              (914) 231-1600 )

                              An Autopsy was performed March 4, 1942 by Dr. Amos O'Squire.

                              The woman there confirmed the information we have from her records and
                              they match the news articles.

                              They have John listed though as......note, John Zahorchok. with an "O"

                              He lived in "Hawthorn" and died on the 3rd.

                              The disposition of his remains will be listed on the Death Certificate
                              that you may obtain from:

                              http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/genealogy.htm
                              <http://www.health.state.ny.us/vital_records/genealogy.htm>

                              You will have to fill out the application. You are a direct line
                              descendant and the record has been on file for more than 50 years so
                              there should be no problem.

                              I believe the cost is $22.50 for an uncertified copy for Genealogy
                              purposes.

                              Once you get the DC,confirm it with the Cemetery.
                              Other than that you can call around to the different area cemeteries
                              since you have all the correct dates. I have called Kensico and Gates of
                              Heaven. (Both the nearest and oldest near the coroners office) He is
                              buried in neither one. I have also contacted the NY State Police
                              looking into archived records of the case.
                              New York State Police
                              Public Information Office
                              Bldg. 22, 1220 Washington Ave.
                              Albany, New York 12226

                              Oh yes. I also posted on the Westchester County board on Ancestry...

                              Dennis

                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 4, 2010
                                Dennis, great work. Thanks for the help.

                                John Adam

                                >>> I spoke with the Medical Examiners Office,

                                They did not cremate then and he was buried . . .

                                An Autopsy was performed March 4, 1942 by Dr. Amos O'Squire.

                                The woman there confirmed the information we have from her records and they match the news articles.

                                They have John listed though as......note, John Zahorchok. with an "O"

                                He lived in "Hawthorn" and died on the 3rd.
                                . . .

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 16, 2010
                                  Dear Mr. Halusker Sr.:

                                  Reference is made to your e-mail request for records, received at this
                                  office on August 9, 2010, pursuant to the requirements of Article 6 of
                                  the Public Officers Law (Freedom of Information).

                                  Please be advised that we are currently processing your request. You
                                  will receive a written response to your request upon completion of our
                                  review in approximately twenty (20) business days.

                                  Very truly yours,

                                  Captain Laurie M. Wagner
                                  Records Access Officer
                                  Central Records Bureau

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 16, 2010
                                    Dennis, my ongoing thanks for your efforts.

                                    Cousin Milan Kicka, Sobrance, now has a birthplace for his grandfather as a result of research by George Dolnack; the story of his untimely death from your good work; and now the likely disposition of the court case against his alleged killer.

                                    As well, at your suggestion, I have requested docs that will likely tell us the disposition of the body in 1942.

                                    While the facts of Zahorchak's life are quite sad, it is only now that his direct family in Slovakia is learning them. This makes our genealogical research worthwhile.

                                    John Adam

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Nov 15, 2010
                                      Dennis et al, after a few months we finally got the document from NY State and it tells us that John Zahorcak was buried in Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

                                      Cause of death was cerebral hemorrhage and fractured skull.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 10, 2011
                                        Recently, John Beach photographed a Sleepy Hollow cemetery site and the photos were forwarded to Slovakia. It has been a long and bumpy road but very worthwhile.

                                        Thanks to everyone for their piece of the puzzle.

                                        John Adam

                                        ***************

                                        Hi John

                                        Thank you very much for your message. I am very pleased. I never thought to get to the bottom where my grandfather is buried. It's amazing and I am extremely grateful to all who contributed to this success. Once again, very, very nicely thank you.

                                        Milan
                                        Slovakia

                                        *********************

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 11, 2011
                                          That is great John ! Was it the record we requested under the Freedom of Information act from the coroner?

                                          Was there a headstone? I would love to see the document. Could you forward it please?

                                          Glad to help!

                                          Dennis

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 12, 2011
                                            Just recieved the information John Q. So who could have possibly placed the Headstone? It does seem like a newer "Granite" Stone.

                                            Stones around that time (1942) from my experience were mostly of a sandstone type that wore rather quickly.

                                            I am sure that this is not true in every case but our John Zahorchak died alone in this country and lived in a boarding house.

                                            Who could have bought him a stone?

                                            I would invite everyone here at S-R to review John Zahorchak posts and follow this very interesting fellow.

                                            The mystery continues.....

                                            Dennis

                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 12, 2011
                                              John Beach has asked the Sleepy Hollow cemetery manager if they have any information on how the headstone came to be. No response yet.