Birth Record Translation

  • William
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
      I just uploaded two photos of a birth record for my grandfather, Andreas Czmorej. Underneath his name is a word that I have been trying to figure out for a long time. I have not seen it very often in the many microfilms I have viewed. It is also in the line above the record for my grandfather. I have looked backwards and forward to find a better rendition of the word but cannot find anything that helps. It looks like "t..tinius" or something like that. Has anyone seen this before? Ideas? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
      Bill
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
        Where did you put it? Under photos or files? What is are the names of the
        pictures? Ware they in a folder?

        Bill

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
          The photo name is " IMG_0666 " It is filed under "Photos"

          It is probably "inquilinus"
          See http://homepages.bmi.net/~latin/Latin_Terms_and_Phrases.html

          Bill

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 27, 2010
            It's in the photos Bill,under his name. Edit/Find on this page/Jun 27 2010.

            I need more examples of the writting on that page to take a stab at it.

            Dennis

            > Where did you put it? Under photos or files? What is are the names of the
            > pictures? Ware they in a folder?
            >

            > Bill

          • Armata, Joseph R
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
              Bill's right, it's an abbreviated form of inquilinus. That's a person who had no land or even house of his own, who lived with another. These could often be elderly parents who had handed on the house and farm to their children, probably not the case here.

              Joe

            • William
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
                Bill and Dennis,
                Thanks much for the suggestions. Sorry, I got ahead of myself when adding the photos. The folder is called Birth Record Translation. There are two photos, img 665 and 666.
                The same word appears in the line above. The first letter looks like a "T" to me and the fourth letter looks like a "y". Other than that - I am stumped. A similar letter "y" appears at the end of one of the names in the photo. I will take some more photos of the page and add them to the same folder.
                Bill

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 28, 2010
                  Are you familiar with old style cursive? It is different in subtle
                  ways. Not just poor penmanship.

                  Bill

                • William
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 29, 2010
                    Bill,
                    A little. I think I have a cheat sheet somewhere of old style cursive. I probably got it from your web site. I'll check it out.
                    Thanks again.
                    Bill