RE: [S-R] Re: Help from Diane Tilley - Some brief thoughts on Spam and Scams

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
      Well, you could stop using the internet!

      All kidding aside, there are tons of web sites you can learn about fraud on
      the internet, I'm not going to get into it on a genealogy forum, other than
      to say the following:

      Everyone of us is at risk. Internet crime has eclipsed bank robberies in
      terms of dollars lost. If nothing else, change your passwords often and
      have the latest security software installed. Or just use an Apple Mac
      computer.

      You can learn more about the latest scams here:
      http://snopes.com/fraud/topscams.asp

      this is a site that not only serves to expose scams, but often tries to scam
      them back, with sometimes hilarious results. A good stress-buster:
      http://scamorama.com/

      I endorse both of the above site - they are safe sites, but they do have
      advertising.
      Moderators and long-time internet users are used to these sorts of ploys,
      sensing them becomes second-nature. I hope you somewhat understand why we
      moderate with a seeminingly heavy hand from time to time. If we let this
      sort of stuff go unbridled, we'd end up with a forum that was more noise
      than value.

      Bill