Re: Help from Diane Tilley

  • hotrodkitty2000
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 25, 2010
      Diane is NOT sending this message. Her yahoo account has been compromised. I've received this in my Hungarian genealogy group and 5 times privately. She is a friend of mine and I know she is not in England.Whoever is sending this out to everyone in her address book.

      Thanks,

      Paula Knebler
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 25, 2010
        Thanks Paula. I've put her account into moderated mode even before I read
        your note. No more will get through, so please don't respond. I've seen
        this before.
        Bill Tarkulich
        Moderator

        On Fri, June 25, 2010 9:17 am, hotrodkitty2000 wrote:
        > Diane is NOT sending this message. Her yahoo account has been
        > compromised. I've received this in my Hungarian genealogy group and 5
        > times privately. She is a friend of mine and I know she is not in
        > England.Whoever is sending this out to everyone in her address book.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Paula Knebler

        Bill
      • maxine
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 25, 2010
          Bill, how can we avoid this happening? And how do we know when it is happening? thanks maxine

          Thanks Paula. I've put her account into moderated mode even before I read
          your note. No more will get through, so please don't respond. I've seen
          this before.
          Bill Tarkulich
          Moderator

          On Fri, June 25, 2010 9:17 am, hotrodkitty2000 wrote:
          > Diane is NOT sending this message. Her yahoo account has been
          > compromised. I've received this in my Hungarian genealogy group and 5
          > times privately. She is a friend of mine and I know she is not in
          > England.Whoever is sending this out to everyone in her address book.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Paula Knebler

          Bill

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 26, 2010
            Well, you could stop using the internet!

            All kidding aside, there are tons of web sites you can learn about fraud on
            the internet, I'm not going to get into it on a genealogy forum, other than
            to say the following:

            Everyone of us is at risk. Internet crime has eclipsed bank robberies in
            terms of dollars lost. If nothing else, change your passwords often and
            have the latest security software installed. Or just use an Apple Mac
            computer.

            You can learn more about the latest scams here:
            http://snopes.com/fraud/topscams.asp

            this is a site that not only serves to expose scams, but often tries to scam
            them back, with sometimes hilarious results. A good stress-buster:
            http://scamorama.com/

            I endorse both of the above site - they are safe sites, but they do have
            advertising.
            Moderators and long-time internet users are used to these sorts of ploys,
            sensing them becomes second-nature. I hope you somewhat understand why we
            moderate with a seeminingly heavy hand from time to time. If we let this
            sort of stuff go unbridled, we'd end up with a forum that was more noise
            than value.

            Bill

            Bill, how can we avoid this happening? And how do we know when it is
            happening? thanks maxine

            Thanks Paula. I've put her account into moderated mode even before I read
            your note. No more will get through, so please don't respond. I've seen
            this before.
            Bill Tarkulich
            Moderator

            On Fri, June 25, 2010 9:17 am, hotrodkitty2000 wrote:
            > Diane is NOT sending this message. Her yahoo account has been
            > compromised. I've received this in my Hungarian genealogy group and 5
            > times privately. She is a friend of mine and I know she is not in
            > England.Whoever is sending this out to everyone in her address book.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Paula Knebler

            Bill