Re: [S-R] Two last names for parents baptism records - anyone know the conven...

  • david1law@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
      Yes, it could potentially be a mother's maiden name or a grandmother's
      maiden name. I have seen this in my own family where a double surname traced
      back to a marriage in the early 1800's and the double surname was used to
      be able to distinguish between families in the same greater family clan.
      Further research will probably be needed to confirm.
      I hope that this helps.

      Best regards,

      David

    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
        I ran into a similar situation in some RC 1790s records for
        Kostolany. All of a sudden, there was a different priest, and he
        provided the names of the parents of both the child's parents and
        those of the godparents! At first I thought the people all just had
        multiple names--he also provided alias names for lots of people--but
        finally I just started reading them the way you do some of the death
        records that contain multiple relations and relationships. (For
        instance, the first male name is the baby's father's name; the second
        is that man's father's first name, and the next name is the surname
        for all of them. Then the next name is the elder father's wife's first
        name, followed by her father's full name, then her morher's full name.
        Then you get the name of the new mother and use the same process to
        get her father's name and her mother's.)

        That priest was there for only about a year, and when the new priest
        began doing records, it was back to the old way where the wife's
        maiden name was not even listed. (All of a sudden, in the 18-teens,
        the priest started adding maiden names.)

        I was fortunate to have both some direct and indirect relatives born
        during the 1790s, and that provided invaluable info on earlier
        generations.

        Elaine

        Sent from my iPhone