Two last names for parents baptism records - anyone know the convention?

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
      While making my way through the Plavec RC baptism records, around 1830 through a few years I suddenly see a new convention, that appears to be two last names for EACH of the parents. For example, pre-1830 records for children showing parents Joseph Hetes and Eva Mislivek after 1830 show up as Joseph Hetes Tasrticik and Eva Mislivek Bisz.

      A later entry switches the two last names for each, Joseph Tasrticik Hetes and Eva Bisz Mislivek.

      Separate entries for Joseph Hetes, Maria Hetes, Andreus Hetes and Stephanus Hetes all show the same additional last name: Tasrticik.

      Would this potentially be their mother's maiden name?

      I did not see this in the Orlov Greek Catholic ledgers I looked at, and it appears to be only during a distinct section of the Pavlec Roman Catholic Records. If you want to see examples, you can start looking around slide 232 in the Pavlec RC baptism records, the oldest baptism records, first in the list. See something new and different everyday!!
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2010
        Mark,
        Since my ancestral villages of Hromos and Plavnica are so close to Plavec I thought you should be made aware of "Do Names" that a discovered a few years back. Each branch of the larger families were given names, Do names. The purpose was to make it possible for members of the family with same given name be able to be told apart. So if there were two Michael Mojhers in the village they would in conversation be referred to by their Do name. In my case, I would be Michael Adama since I belong to the Adama branch of the family.
        I found these Do names in official records. Now when I see the surname Adama, Palody and Zid in the Hromos records I know the persons real surname is Mojcher. On my grandmothers side in Plavnica our Rindos family had 5 Do names.
        What is great for genealogy is these names are based on bloodline branches of the family. So when I ask a person for their Do name I know what branch of the family they belong to.