my roots

  • Betty
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
      Thank you for letting me join. I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909.
    • John
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
        >>> I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909. <<<

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village. It is also necessary to know the RELIGION. The Palko name is common in Stropov -- according to Cisarik. However, the online church records end in 1897, after which they are kept in civic archives.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich’s excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia
      • Caye Caswick
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
          I found 4 Anna Harvillas on the Ellis Island records -- will need more information -- where did your Anna marry this Jozef (too many Palkos to be able to pick which Jozef might be him) -- also where did they settle -- what religion -- did Anna come with a large group or alone?  When did she die -- and about how old was she at death?

          Caye

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
            Stropkov SP/PV zemplín. 1964 pricl. o. Boksa (1957 vycl. o. Bana).
            1773 Sztropko, Stropkow, 1786 Stropko, 1808 Sztropkó, Stropkow, 1863-1913 Sztropkó, 1920- Stropkov

            http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/stropkov/stropkov.html An information page on the city of Stropkov

            V obci STROPKOV (okr. SVIDNÍK) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: PALKOVÁ 23×

            The information above comes from the 1995 Slovak Census. First, the various names Stropkov has been known by during its history. Second, surnames found in Stropkov. Palkova is female form of the surname Palko, there were 23 of them. The list shown stopped at 16. Palko was not listed. Either a mistake or less than 16 of them. There were no listings for Patokrey or Patojryje.

            The following were found in the online telephone directory
            Palko Jozef Puskinova 46, Stropkov
            Palko Marián Hrnciarska 1597\26, Stropkov
            Palková Anna Hrnciarska 76, Stropkov
            Palková Jana Nábrezná 996/13, Stropkov
            Palková Lubica Hrnciarska 1597/26, Stropkov
            Palková Marta Ruzová 432/8, Stropkov

            I could not locate any village in the Czech Republic with the name Harvilla.

            Thank you for letting me join. I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909.

          • Betty Kleimann
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
              anna harvilla according to her us naturalization she emigrated to the us from Bremen. Germany on the ss Main and entered at baltimore on 15 Jan 1909. i have two things of information when she married Joseph Palko, on is they were married on 1 May 1909. my cousin has a wedding record from a church in barnesboro, Pa for the year 1910. but everything points to 1 may 1909 in Barnesboro, pa is when they got married. they did say she was a native of Patokrey, Czech. that is all the info i have on her.- On Sun, 6/20/10, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

              From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
              Subject: Re: [S-R] my roots
              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

              I found 4 Anna Harvillas on the Ellis Island records -- will need more information -- where did your Anna marry this Jozef (too many Palkos to be able to pick which Jozef might be him) -- also where did they settle -- what religion -- did Anna come with a large group or alone?  When did she die -- and about how old was she at death?

              Caye

              Thank you for letting me join. I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                Betty,
                Sorry about confusing the surname Harvilla with a place.
                One of the problems with your information it Czechoslovakia. It did not become a country until after WW I, 1918. So as such it would not be on any of your relatives records. In 1909 the Austro-Hungarian Empire controlled the land that became Czechoslovakia. Since the lands of Slovak were controlled by Hungary for so long it is often the "nationality" filled in on forms.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patokryje Here is the link to Wikipedia on Patokrey, CZ. That is the German spelling. Patokryje is the Czech.

                http://mapcarta.com/18482734 Map of Patokryje.

                http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/culture_events/cz_us_community/genealogy/index.html Czech embassy website on genealogy.

                Can we presume that your search is now for records in Slovakia and the Czech Republic for your Palko and Harvilla families?

                Cirkevná matrika, 1700-1897 Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Stropkov (Stropkov)
                Cirkevná matrika, 1760-1897 Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Stročín (Stropkov)

                Cirkevná matrika, 1819-1897 Grécko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Bokša (Stropkov)

                These records are online and viewable on your computer. As you can see one set is for Roman Catholic (Rimsko-katolicka) and two sets are for the Greek Catholic (Grecko-katolicka) records in Slovakia for Stropkov. Unfortunately I cannot give the same for Patokryje, CZ.

                From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                  >>> she was a native of Patokrey, Czech. <<<

                  Patokryje, CR, is a small suburb of Most, south of Litvinov. The area is in extreme northwestern CR, not too far from Germany.
                • John
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                    >>> anna harvilla . . . Patokrey, Czech. that is all the info i have on her <<<

                    There is a single phone listing for Harvilla in that part of CR.
                    Lubomír Harvilla
                    Trebusín 132
                    412 01 Trebusín
                    Czech Republic
                  • Betty Kleimann
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                      i am looking at the baptism records could michael be Mihaly and joseph be Janos. could their be differant spelling for the first name?
                      thanks very much

                      From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                        Mihaly is Michael. Jozef is Joseph. Janos is John.

                        From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                        To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                        Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                          I believe i found it. his name is Josef It was in Sept 1887 The father was Mihaly Palko and his mother was Anna Novalnyak.  the town was differant from what i can read it was N. _riesicre. i hope this is it, not sure?????  thanks for your help

                          From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                          I found 4 Anna Harvillas on the Ellis Island records -- will need more information -- where did your Anna marry this Jozef (too many Palkos to be able to pick which Jozef might be him) -- also where did they settle -- what religion -- did Anna come with a large group or alone? When did she die -- and about how old was she at death?

                          Caye

                          Thank you for letting me join. I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909.

                        • Tom Hritz
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                             I have found that Joseph is generally Jozsef on Slovak or Hungarian parish-records. Yes, the Mihaly is one version of our Michael.

                            From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                            From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                            From: Betty <dartlady1956@...>

                            To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com

                            Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 12:55 PM

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                              ANNA HARVILLA WAS BORN sEPT 15,1891 IN PATOKREY, I KNOW SHE CAME OVER SOMETIME AROUND 1909. DON'T KNOW IF SHE CAME WITH ANYONE I DON'T KNOW. I HOPE WE GET LUCKY , BUT NOT HAVING TOO MUCH LUCK WITH HER.- On Sun, 6/20/10, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

                              From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                                I KNOW HE HAS A SISTER NAMED HELEN SHE WAS BORN IN1891. I WILL LOOK TOMORROW TO SEE IF SHE IS ON THE BAPTISM LIST. I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND HER INFO OTHER THAN WHO SHE MARRIED AND HER KIDS. I EVEN HAVE CONTACT WITH THE ONLY CHILD LEFT, BUT SHE DOESN'T KNOW MUCH THANKS FOR THE HELP- On Sun, 6/20/10, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                                From: Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>
                                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 9:21 PM

                                From: Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...>
                                To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:47 PM

                                I found 4 Anna Harvillas on the Ellis Island records -- will need more information -- where did your Anna marry this Jozef (too many Palkos to be able to pick which Jozef might be him) -- also where did they settle -- what religion -- did Anna come with a large group or alone? When did she die -- and about how old was she at death?

                                Caye

                                Thank you for letting me join. I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909.

                              • Elaine
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jun 20, 2010
                                  Tom, I have noticed the surname Hritz (Hrics) in some early (1797)
                                  Kostolany records I've been reading. Is your family from this area? I
                                  don't know whether the name is widespread, but in this case the priest
                                  noted it with an alias Orosz.

                                  Elaine

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  On Jun 20, 2010, at 9:07 PM, Tom Hritz <luangtom@...> wrote:

                                  > I have found that Joseph is generally Jozsef on Slovak or Hungarian
                                  > parish-records. Yes, the Mihaly is one version of our Michael.

                                • Betty Kleimann
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 1, 2010
                                    i can't get on that site that you gave me to find my grandparents  christening info in stropkov , slovakia. can you help please?

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 1, 2010
                                      Betty,
                                      Here are the steps to get to the Stropkov online records:
                                      1) Click on this link - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start
                                      2) Click on "Search or browse our record collection"
                                      3) Click on "All Regions", then "Europe", then "Browse collection", then scroll down to Slovakia.
                                      4) Click on the second choice "(Slovakian Place Names)"
                                      5) Click on "Roman Catholic", scroll down to Stropkov. Click on Stropkov. Click on the choice of records to view.
                                      6) There are also Stropkov records under "Greek Catholic". If know their religion go to that one. If not you will have to look in both sets of records.

                                    • hmsbob@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
                                        i went to the family search site u recommend and followed ur
                                        instructions. when i all regions, europe and browse collection then u say scroll down
                                        to slovakia when i click on browse there is no SLOVAKIA to scroll down
                                        to. there is czech republic. tried doing this a few times with no
                                        slovakia help;

                                        _http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start_ (http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#start)

                                        From: John <_johnqadam@..._ (mailto:johnqadam@...) >
                                        To: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                                        Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:42 PM

                                        site at _http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/_ (http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/)

                                        FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to
                                        find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value.
                                        _https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia_
                                        (https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia)

                                      • haluska
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
                                          You simply overlooked Slovakia.....

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
                                            I got to the country list. Slovakia is between Scotland and Spain.

                                            From: John <_johnqadam@..._ (mailto:johnqadam@...) >
                                            To: _SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com)
                                            Date: Sunday, June 20, 2010, 2:42 PM

                                            >>> I am looking for info about Palko in either Stropkov,Slovakia or
                                            Patokrey or Patokryje, czech republic for Harvilla. joseph palko or anna
                                            harvilla. they came to America around 1905-1909. <<<

                                            When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is
                                            paramount because records are organized by village. It is also necessary to
                                            know the RELIGION. The Palko name is common in Stropov -- according to
                                            Cisarik. However, the online church records end in 1897, after which they are
                                            kept in civic archives.

                                            BASIC RESEARCH HELP
                                            For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich’s excellent
                                            site at _http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/_ (http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/)

                                            FamilySearch Wiki has a Slovakia Portal page where you can learn how to
                                            find, use, and analyze Slovak records of genealogical value.
                                            _https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia_
                                            (https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Portal:Slovakia)

                                          • Nick Holcz
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 4, 2010
                                              At , you wrote:

                                              >You simply overlooked Slovakia.....
                                              >
                                              >you didn't scroll down far enough

                                              Nick

                                              No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.
                                              William Blake