Re: Surname Hetes: Help! Anyone REALLY good at decipering old handwriting records?

  • pstagen
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 20, 2010
      The 1869 Hungarian census for Orlo (Orlov)covers 100 dwellings but does not reflect all the families that should have been there at the time. My GGF is missing even though his Orlo-born son was born in March 1870. It is not difficult to review this film and the handwriting is generally better.

      Orlo's church records between 1825 and 1845 are not always in sequence, generally difficult to read and have ink blots on several sections.

      I would approach your task by looking through the census records first to verify the parents' religions and spelling of their surnames, if they are present, then the indicated birth year of the eldest living child. Next, look for a marriage record in the church records beginning with the eldest child's birth. That year may be wrong and can ignore an earlier childhood death but is a good starting point.

      The presence of an unidentified word or place name is not unusual for Orlo. There is an unidentified "place" shown in birth, marriage and death records between 1839 and 1847 for my family. Before and after that period "Orlo" is the default place.