RE: [S-R] Re: Help with a town name

  • Paul M. Paulochik
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 5, 2010
      Close but no banana. It was about 700 years after Cyril & Methodius that the
      term "Byzantine Catholic Church" started being used. As mentioned in a
      previous e-mail (sorry, don't know by who), it was a political decision by
      certain Orthodox churches in the Austrian Empire (run by the Hapsburgs) to
      transfer their loyalty from the Patriarchs of the Orthodox rites to the
      Pope. Besides the pressure from the Austrian emperor, there was the matter
      of the Patriarch in Moscow being used by the Tsars as an excuse for
      meddling, and it was becoming difficult for the local bishops to keep
      international politics out of the local churches. Lots of politics involved,
      and it took decades or centuries to reach the point, but for a quick
      overview, do a search on the Union of Brest (1595-96) - Wikipedia has a
      short-and-to-the point version, and there are many other articles out there
      that give all sorts of details. Problem is, most of them assume you already
      know what they're talking about - a style historians use that frustrates the
      hell out of me.