Birth/Baptisim Record

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 3 3:57 AM
      Why would two women be listed for one child?
      I have Anna? being the 15th.birth Oct.27th.1897.Illegitimate.
      Listing two women,Janosne Lesko and Helena Pilat as Parents?

      Any thoughts on this? I posted the record in the files....
      Thanks,

      Dennis
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 3 4:54 AM
        I think remembering that these are actually church sacramental records helps
        speculate.
        Nobody knows for sure, and local priest customs varied a bit. I will
        speculate that perhaps one was the birth mother and one was an adoptive
        mother. How old was the mother? Who were the sponsors?

        Bill

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 3 8:26 AM
          Interesting, I ran into the same situation with two mothers listed on the baptismal records. In my situation the explanation was obvious. The birth mother died in childbirth and the second woman listed was the adoptive mother.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 3 10:15 AM
            Now that is a thought. Adoptive Mother thet is. I will check that
            out....

            My Family is rough going.....

            Thanks
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

            > Interesting, I ran into the same situation with two mothers listed on
            the baptismal records. In my situation the explanation was obvious. The
            birth mother died in childbirth and the second woman listed was the
            adoptive mother.

            > ________________________________

          • haluska
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 3 12:11 PM
              Here is my cousin Vlastimil's take on the subject. I have not had time
              to think about it yet. But I thought I would post it so nobody's Brain
              explodes!

              I have records from houses #8,10,11,12 and 13 in Remeniny with folks
              going back and forth from ech house from early 1800's through 1903 when
              the records stop.

              Dennis

              Anna (27.10.1897) was born as illegitimate (see last column on the left
              side)

              Her mother was Helena Pilat. Her husband was Jan Lesko (that's why
              mother's name is Janosne Lesko – Hungarian style of
              name-surname)

              I cannot translate Hungarian remark in the last column, but I guess it
              says that her husband was already 5 years in the USA ?

              And Remeniny 10? Interesting. Probably because Helena Lesko (nee Pilat)
              lived with her (sister/relative) Maria Corej (nee Pilat) and Peter
              Corej.

              Looks like another interesting story extracted from parish books.

              Vlasto

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, MILAN HUBA <illy@...> wrote:

              > Interesting, I ran into the same situation with two mothers listed on
              the baptismal records. In my situation the explanation was obvious. The
              birth mother died in childbirth and the second woman listed was the
              adoptive mother.

              > ________________________________

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 3 1:35 PM
                Denis,
                This is not really two different women. It is the same woman. It says she is the wife of Janos Lesko, but that the child is not his.

                Curt B.
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                > Why would two women be listed for one child?
                > I have Anna? being the 15th.birth Oct.27th.1897.Illegitimate.
                > Listing two women,Janosne Lesko and Helena Pilat as Parents?
                >
                > Any thoughts on this? I posted the record in the files....
                > Thanks,
                >
                > Dennis

              • haluska
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 3 2:16 PM
                  Curt, I thank you....

                  Cousin Vlasto sent this....

                  Her mother was Helena Pilat. Her husband was Jan Lesko (that's why
                  mother's name is Janosne Lesko – Hungarian style of
                  name-surname)
                  I cannot translate Hungarian remark in the last column, but I guess it says that her husband was already 5 years in the USA ?

                  Cousin Bozena just sent this....

                  V poznamke sa uvadza, ze jej manžel (Lesko Janos) odiasiel do Ameriky pred 5 rokmi (doslova: odisiel 5 rokov pred narodenim dietata).

                  The note stated that her husband (Janos Lesko) went to America 5 years ago (literally: he left five years before the birth of a child).

                  I would not wait 5 years either! The plot gets thicker.....

                  Dennis