Films in POZSONY + Gravestones

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
      Dear Bill,

      Regarding the films. I am overjoyed that they are finally released, if that is
      the case. I can't wait to really dig into them now that I am home.

      Regarding your question: "What type of grave marker did you find? Did it appear to be from the time period of death? And what year would that be? "

      ..we were so lucky regarding my gr. grandfather's marker. He died in 1903. The marker is in surprisingly excellent condition:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636953934/in/set-72157624131547596/

      One can actually read the inscription. The flowers on the grave indicate that
      someone is still caring for it. Now, believe me, this was the most fortunate find regarding cemeteries.

      To respond to your comment:
      "The reason I ask is that my villages were the poorest of poor and grave markers were wooden, rotted away and eventually were not replaced. I have nothing but a field of weeds and hay to look at."

      I can relate to your situation regarding my Hancsak and Stofan relatives, buried
      in Kecerovce and Cervenica. In Cervenica, the cemetery is very old, on a hill,
      and it is obvious that most of the markers have rotten away. The town is very
      small, and I honestly believe that there is no one left of the surname to care
      for the grave.
      In Kecerovce, I managed to find only one Hancsak. There should have been
      several. Again, I am presuming that it was an old marker that rotted away as
      well.

      Both of these towns are very small, and I would venture to guess would be poorer villages as you have noted. The priests do live in very nice houses, however. I found that to be very interesting considering how small the villages are. Kecerovce is surrounded by Gypsy camps which were quite unpleasant to say the least.

      In Slanske Nove Mesto, we had this:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4630199180/in/set-72157623990179243/

      Here I have a name, but no information. Also found his wife, buried no where near
      him. I was fortunate enough to have a family member drive in to town and pick
      up an older woman who knew where every Takac in my family line was buried.
      Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any of the pertinent information that I was
      looking for. There were several Takac families living in that town and I have not been able to discern which are mine. The records for that area are not the best, and no 1869 census has been released for that area.

      I was told that had I would have been able to visit the town municipal office, and that they would have helped me look through the records that I was seeking. But the office
      closed on Friday at noon, and our trip was not set up to accommodate that
      timing. However, these people do not speak English. I would have needed a translator as my Slovak skills are just in the primary stages. Enough to get me some necessary help, but not enough to get what I would need in this case.

      The priest in Kecerovce let me look through the actual church registry from
      1895 to 1908, although he was not happy with me for being there. He kept
      pointing to his watch and yelling "TIME!! TIME!" I tried to be patient with
      him, and even though I left empty handed, I gave him 5 Euro for his time. He
      softened up at that gesture. I truly was appreciative of his taking his time,
      and allowing me to actually scan the pages for information.

      All in all, the trip was wonderful. We searched for my husband's relatives in
      a small town in Austria, and there were no grave markers in that church cemetery
      for his family, or anyone prior to 1895, for that matter. I was told that if
      there was no family to upkeep the grave marker, because space in cemeteries was
      limited, that bodies were placed on top of those that were neglected, and a new
      marker was placed over the old one. Since my husband's gr. grandfather was the
      last of his line with no surviving siblings who married, we can only presume
      that was the case for him.

      One thing is for certain, I came home with a lot more knowledge of the area then
      before I went, met some fascinating people, ate some out-of-this-world haluski made with sheep cheese, drank some wonderful Slovak wine and I can't speak more highly of my trip.
      We'd go back in a minute if the opportunity arose again.
      And, we'd even drive again!

      I might post some of my adventures on Slovak World if anyone might be interested.
      Barbara
    • haluska
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
        I sure am interested. I plan to visit my villages in the future...

        Dennis