Re: Locating Austro-Hungary Military Records

  • Carl
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2010
      Sandra,
      Oops, I meant to say that I'm NOT sure that the words mean retired soldier. I see that in my earlier message that I
      left out the "not".
      CK
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Carl" <kotlarchik@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > The Seven Weeks War in 1866 was the last major conflict that Austria had until WWI. But the army was used by the empire to put down internal uprisings especially in the Balkans. And like everyone else, soldiers died of diseases too.
      >
      > You have quite a challenge ahead of you because of the birth years of both your GGGFs. As you mentioned, the one from Saros could be in IR46 or IR67. But he could also have been in IR20 which recruited in Saros with IR46 in the late 1850s. I wish I could help you narrow it down but there is just no way of knowing. Do any of the church records indicate a possible regimental number?
      >
      > If you do find the records for either of these ancestors, I can provide you with several additional references which will tell you a lot about what their regiments did during the wars with Denmark in 1864 and the one with Prussia in 1866. This is a time period that I am personally very interested in.
      >
      > Carl
      >
      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra/John Panzitta" <pman40@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Carl,
      > >
      > > Thanks so much for your expert advice locating military records. I am very
      > > much looking forward to ordering the LDS films from Zemplen. Now I move
      > > onto Saros...
      > >
      > > My great-great-great grandfather JANOS VIDUMSZKY alias DEMJACKZI was born
      > > in Nemcovce, Saros County, circa 1838 or 1839 (there are no birth records
      > > from that time frame from his village). On his marriage record from
      > > Kapusany, Saros County, his occupation is "szabadsagols" katona - a retired
      > > or ex-service soldier, according to my researcher. Janos was 33 years old
      > > and it was his first marriage. I think it is interesting his first marriage
      > > was at age 33.
      > >
      > > I am wondering if there was any significance of his noted occupation,
      > > retired soldier. I mean, was there a military pension that he was supported
      > > by? Did it mean he was recently discharged from the military?
      > >
      > > I am looking for guidance in locating his military record from LDS. With a
      > > possible birth date of 1838 or 1839, I am thinking I should check late
      > > 1850's to early 1860's. (Grundbuchblatter 046 and 067)
      > >
      > > Another mystery to solve, Janos married in 1872 and had children in 1874,
      > > 1878 and 1879. In 1883, his wife remarried and was noted as his widow.
      > > There is no record in the village of his death. I am wondering was there a
      > > military conflict that would have taken him away from his family circa
      > > 1879-1883? Could he have been killed in service?
      > >
      > > I'm really excited to explore the military records and see what I find.

    • Sandra/John Panzitta
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2010
        Hi Carl,

        I am looking over the LDS catalog and found Grundbuchblatter, 1820-1869 for
        Regiment 020. As a reminder, I am looking for my GGGF JANOS VIDUMSZKY, born
        circa 1838. No, there are no church records indicating what regiment he
        might have served in - I have seen records with that information, just not
        my line of ancestor.

        About the Grundbuchblatter for 020, film #1217215 is an index of some sort.
        T-Z Index Abgang Klasse 1850-1860 4. Battalion 1857-1860 1.3. Battalion
        1857-1860 Effektiv 1860-1869 A-M. Since there is a roll labeled A-T, I am
        guessing it is alphabetical, but other than that, I have no idea what else
        the title indicates. Do you know?

        As a side note, I looked over the 1869 census and while JANOS' occupation
        was farmer helper, in the notes column, there is szabadsagos (hoz or hor)
        katona. I have to say I find it odd. As my grandmother's sister married a
        man with the last name Katona, I notice the word when I look at records.
        Katona was not an overused word. If all able young men were drafted, I would
        think I would see katona all over the records.

        Thanks for clearing up the meaning of szabadsagon. About finding military
        church books, I looked for them in the LDS library and did not readily find
        anything for Saros 1879 - 1883. Did you see any? I'd like to order them
        tomorrow. I don't know if this is related, but on Janos' daughter baptism
        record, in the notes column is the following "arva ugy (or igy) 1/7, ki 86".
        It is indicating the child was orphaned. After her birth, two additional
        children were born and her mother remarried in 1883 and came to the US. I
        assume this has something to do with her father, Janos Vidumszky's death.
        Just thought I'd throw that out there and see if you had thoughts.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
          Hi Sandra,
          I agree with you that the film looks like an index (probably of names). I have not seen that for Hungarian regiments. Austrian and Czech regiments do have indexes of soldiers which makes it much easier to find their records. But the Hungarian regiments and the ones from Galatia are organized only by regimental number.

          While IR 20 did recruit in Saros (and Szepes) for a short time in the late 1850s, this regiment recruited primarily in Galatia and not Hungary. So, I would recommend starting with IR46 and IR67 first.

          Army church records were also kept by regimental number. So, for example, if you enter the following into the LDS catalog key word search: Osterreich. Armee. Infanterie Regiment 046
          The grundbuchblatter and Kirchenbuch (church book)for IR46 will come up.

          By the way, Army regiments were made up of several battalions. The regimental records are consequently subdivided by battalion. So, as you review the grundbuchblatter records, you will find sequential records for each battalion separately. The officers of each battalion will be listed first followed by the enlisted men. You will also find that the officer's birth years are different from those of the enlisted men so don't get confused. The most senior officers were obviously much older than the troops. Make sure you review each battalion for the birth year of your ancestor and record the battalion number when you find him. That will help you when you review the military history of the regiment.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2010
            Carl,

            Thanks so much for educating yourself about Austro-Hungarian military
            records, I am so grateful you share your expertise. I will order these
            films today and hopefully, in a month or so, I will be reporting back my
            successes!