Translate script from Hungarian Prayer Book

  • j_chesney@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 6 , May 31, 2010
      I have the following script from my grandmother's Prayer Book: "Plotyiju usznuv jako mertv Czarju I Hospodi, tridneven voszkreszl jeszi, Adama vozdvihl ot tli, I uprazdniv szmerty: Paszcha netlyinija, mira szpaszenjie."

      Can anyone help me translate this?

      David
    • Armata, Joseph R
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
        It's from the Orthodox/Byzantine Slavonic liturgy for Easter, using the local version of Old Church Slavic written in Hungarian spelling. The priest prays: "In the body you slept as though dead, Our Lord and King, on the third day you rose from the dead, you freed Adam from his defilement (sin?), and conquered death: O eternal Sacrifice, Savior of the world."

        Joe

      • haluska
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
          What was the response Joe?
          We switched to RC .....
          Dennis
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:

          > It's from the Orthodox/Byzantine Slavonic liturgy for Easter, using the local version of Old Church Slavic written in Hungarian spelling. The priest prays: "In the body you slept as though dead, Our Lord and King, on the third day you rose from the dead, you freed Adam from his defilement (sin?), and conquered death: O eternal Sacrifice, Savior of the world."
          >
          > Joe

        • John Chesney
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
            Joe: I can't thank you enough. A cousin of mine has this prayer book and she lives a long way from me.

            David

            ________________________________
            > It's from the Orthodox/Byzantine Slavonic liturgy for Easter, using the local version of Old Church Slavic written in Hungarian spelling. The priest prays: "In the body you slept as though dead, Our Lord and King, on the third day you rose from the dead, you freed Adam from his defilement (sin?), and conquered death: O eternal Sacrifice, Savior of the world."
            >
            > Joe

          • Joe Armata
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
              I found this site, with the liturgy in OCL (without the Hungarian
              spelling though!) and translated in italics into...Czech!

              The people repeated the same thing. The prayer is about 1/3 of the way
              down, just search for "uprazdniv" and you'll hit it. Knez=priest,
              Lid=people.

              http://tinyurl.com/2b3st69

              Joe

              > What was the response Joe?
              > We switched to RC .....
              > Dennis
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com<mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>, "Armata, Joseph R" <armata+@...> wrote:
              >> It's from the Orthodox/Byzantine Slavonic liturgy for Easter, using the local version of Old Church Slavic written in Hungarian spelling. The priest prays: "In the body you slept as though dead, Our Lord and King, on the third day you rose from the dead, you freed Adam from his defilement (sin?), and conquered death: O eternal Sacrifice, Savior of the world."
              >>
              >> Joe

            • Joe Armata
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 1, 2010
                Delighted to help solve one of life's little mysteries!

                Joe