Re: Films in POZSONY

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2010
      Dear Bill,

      Sorry for the delay in responding, but I have not been online since you responded to this message. I was actually in Slovakia for a week, but am returning today.
      I will address this when I get home.
      Curious as to why they would say that there were no new films, because the films are high in number, indicating that they are newer, and there is a disclaimer regarding accuracy so that they can get the film released quicker.

      These are not on the FHL pilot site.

      Barbara
      PS. Did find the grave for my gr.grandfather, Jozef Mrena, in a cemetery in Zavar. Very exciting for me and the little old lady in the cemetery who was able to help me find it, even with my very poor Slovak language skills! Zavar is one of the new films that I mentioned.

      Message 2 of 11 , May 31, 2010
        Barbara - Welcome back. They are making a distinction between films and
        releases. Most likely the film was completed some time ago, but not
        released to the catalog for distribution. We must treat our relationship
        with FHL carefully. After all they are doing us all a huge favor at no cost
        to us.

        What type of grave marker did you find? Did it appear to be from the time
        period of death? And what year would that be? The reason I ask is that my
        villages were the poorest of poor and grave markers were wooden, rotted away
        and eventually were not replaced. I have nothing but a field of weeds and
        hay to look at.

        Regards,

      • genmom4
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
          Dear Bill,
          Regarding the films. I am overjoyed that they are finally released, if that is the case. I can't wait to really dig into them now that I am home.

          Regarding the grave...we were so lucky regarding my gr. grandfather's marker. It is in excellent condition: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636953934/in/set-72157624131547596/

          One can actually read the inscription. The flowers on the grave indicate that someone is still caring for it.

          Now, believe me, this was the most fortunate find regarding cemeteries.
          I can relate to your situation regarding my Hancsak and Stofan relatives, buried in Kecerovce and Cervenica. In Cervenica, the cemetery is very old, on a hill, and it is obvious that most of the markers have rotten away. The town is very small, and I honestly believe that there is no one left of the surname to care for the grave.
          In Kecerovce, I managed to find only one Hancsak. There should have been several. Again, I am presuming that it was an old marker that rotted away as well.

          In Slanske Nove Mesto, we had this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4630199180/in/set-72157623990179243/

          Give me a name, but no information. Also found his wife, buried no where near him. I was fortunate enough to have a family member drive in to town and pick up an older woman who knew where every Takac in my family line was buried. Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any of the pertinent information that I was looking for.

          I was told that had I been able to visit the town municipal office, they would have helped me look through the records that I was seeking. But the office closed on Friday at noon, and our trip was not set up to accommodate that timing.

          The priest in Kecerovce let me look through the actual church registry from 1895 to 1908, although he was not happy with me for being there. He kept pointing to his watch and yelling "TIME!! TIME!" I tried to be patient with him, and even though I left empty handed, I gave him 5 Euro for his time. He softened up at that gesture. I truly was appreciative of his taking his time, and allowing me to actually scan the pages for information.

          All in all, the trip was wonderful. We searched for my husband's relatives in a small town in Austria, and there were no grave markers in that church cemetery for his family, or anyone prior to 1895, for that matter. I was told that if there was no family to upkeep the grave marker, because space in cemeteries was limited, that bodies were placed on top of those that were neglected, and a new marker was placed over the old one. Since my husband's gr. grandfather was the last of his line with no surviving siblings who married, we can only presume that was the case for him.

          One thing is for certain, I came home with a lot more knowledge of the area then before I went, and we'd go back in a minute if the opportunity arose again. And, we'd even drive again!

        • genmom4
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
            Dear Bill,

            Regarding the films. I am overjoyed that they are finally released, if that is
            the case. I can't wait to really dig into them now that I am home.

            Regarding your question: "What type of grave marker did you find? Did it appear to be from the time period of death? And what year would that be? "

            ..we were so lucky regarding my gr. grandfather's marker. He died in 1903. The marker is in surprisingly excellent condition:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636953934/in/set-72157624131547596/

            One can actually read the inscription. The flowers on the grave indicate that
            someone is still caring for it. Now, believe me, this was the most fortunate find regarding cemeteries.

            To respond to your comment:
            "The reason I ask is that my villages were the poorest of poor and grave markers were wooden, rotted away and eventually were not replaced. I have nothing but a field of weeds and hay to look at."

            I can relate to your situation regarding my Hancsak and Stofan relatives, buried
            in Kecerovce and Cervenica. In Cervenica, the cemetery is very old, on a hill,
            and it is obvious that most of the markers have rotten away. The town is very
            small, and I honestly believe that there is no one left of the surname to care
            for the grave.
            In Kecerovce, I managed to find only one Hancsak. There should have been
            several. Again, I am presuming that it was an old marker that rotted away as
            well.

            Both of these towns are very small, and I would venture to guess would be poorer villages as you have noted. The priests do live in very nice houses, however. I found that to be very interesting considering how small the villages are. Kecerovce is surrounded by Gypsy camps which were quite unpleasant to say the least.

            In Slanske Nove Mesto, we had this:
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4630199180/in/set-72157623990179243/

            Here I have a name, but no information. Also found his wife, buried no where near
            him. I was fortunate enough to have a family member drive in to town and pick
            up an older woman who knew where every Takac in my family line was buried.
            Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any of the pertinent information that I was
            looking for. There were several Takac families living in that town and I have not been able to discern which are mine. The records for that area are not the best, and no 1869 census has been released for that area.

            I was told that had I would have been able to visit the town municipal office, and that they would have helped me look through the records that I was seeking. But the office
            closed on Friday at noon, and our trip was not set up to accommodate that
            timing. However, these people do not speak English. I would have needed a translator as my Slovak skills are just in the primary stages. Enough to get me some necessary help, but not enough to get what I would need in this case.

[...]

            before I went, met some fascinating people, ate some out-of-this-world haluski made with sheep cheese, drank some wonderful Slovak wine and I can't speak more highly of my trip.
            We'd go back in a minute if the opportunity arose again.
            And, we'd even drive again!

            I might post some of my adventures on Slovak World if anyone might be interested.
            Barbara
          • haluska
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
              I sure am interested. I plan to visit my villages in the future...

              Dennis