Brno & Pilsen Archives have Online Digitized Images - Avotaynu

  • Alan Antoska
    Message 1 of 45 , May 29, 2010
      Avotaynu advises:-

      "Brno and Pilsen Archives Have Online Digitized Images
      The Moravian Provincial Archives in Brno and the State Regional Archives in Pilsen (Czech Republic) are in the process of placing online digitized records from their collections. This is located at http://www.actapublica.eu/registrace. The site can function in Czech, English or German.

      When keying in the town name, pause about ten seconds because a secondary screen may appear requesting clarification of the town name. When I keyed in “Brno” and immediately clicked the Search button, the result was a message stating “Registers for this community are not yet entered into the system.” When I went back and gave the system a few seconds to think, it displayed a secondary message that I believe inquired if I was referring to the district or the village of Brno. Selecting the village produced results. Ignore the Signature field on the search page.

      The resulting display shows whether birth, marriage (identified as “devoted”) or death indexes or records exist. The “No of Pages” field shows the number of records that have been digitized to date and are online. If images are present, click the magnifying glass icon at the extreme right of a given collection and the images are displayed.

      In an act of chutzpah, the archive requires that when you register to use the site, the mandatory fields you must enter are name, date of birth, ID card (Social Security number for Americans?) and e-mail address. I provided an inaccurate birth date and filled the ID card field with question marks (?). It satisfied the login requirements.

      Many thanks to Paul Valasek for helping me maneuver through this difficult site."

    • martha.andras
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Betsey,

        Today I spoke with two people at the Schuylkill County Courthouse. They will send me the appropriate forms to request copies of the marriage and naturalization records. There is a fee but it is nominal. I'm hopeful the documents will contain more clues for my research. I can't thank you enough for finding the "creative spelling" of my great-grandparents surnames!

        I'll keep you posted!

        Martha