[S-R] Re:KUNDRAT Alien registration records from the US Citizenship &

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 45 , May 29, 2010
      Just a word of warning here. Before the 1920's when women got the right to vote and other change of status, it was extraordinary or rare that a woman got a separate naturalization document. They carried the status of their husband or they were ignored if single. American women who married immigrant non-citizens, lost their citizenship!!

      Though she married my grandfather in Pennsylvania, my grandmother has no separate citizenship documentation, she is simply included as wife Mary, with no mention of her maiden name, in my grandfather's papers which were completed in 1913.

      All this changed in the 1920's when women could get separate documentation.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

      > Hi JB - What a kind & generous offer! I do have several things I need from there if you have the time.
      >
      > 1. The marriage documentation of Stephen BUNSCHOCK and Annie COUNTRAT, Docket #7-10828 in the 1885-1910 year range but the actual marriage date was 22 Sept 1894.
      >
      > 2. Naturalization documentation for Stephen PUNDZAK. 23 Jan 1904 document #3770. (Believe it or not this is the same person I need the marriage information for but with a more correct spelling!!)
      >
      > 3. Naturalization documentation for Anna (Annie) KUNDRAT. This might be tough because I only know it was between 1900 - 1910. Also, it could be spelled wrong like her marriage is - COUNTRAT or it could be under Anna PUNDZAK since she would have been married then.
      >
      > As far as the family from St. Clair - KUNDRAK - I don't know if its the same family since its spelled a but different. Have a safe trip and a wonderful time at the reunion!
      >
      > Martha
      >

      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "J.B. Bulharowski" <j.bulharowski@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Betsy, Martha, et. al:
      > >
      > > DH and I will be in good old Schuylkill County, Pottsville, PA the 2nd week in June. We are heading to the courthouse for lots of research. Anyone have a need we might assist with?
      > >
      > > Martha, we had Kundrak family in St. Clair when I was a kid. The 3-4 of June St. Clair High School (which was closed in 1989) is having an all class reunion which we are planning to attend. Afterwards we will be doing our research in Pottsville for a few days. Let me know quickly if we can look for something. We are driving from AZ to PA leaving this week-end.
      > >
      > > Maybe a Kundrak relative might show up at the reunion...? We have at least one class-member from 1949 who has committed to attending. Possibilities abound!
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > > JB

    • martha.andras
      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 4, 2010
        Hi Betsey,

        Today I spoke with two people at the Schuylkill County Courthouse. They will send me the appropriate forms to request copies of the marriage and naturalization records. There is a fee but it is nominal. I'm hopeful the documents will contain more clues for my research. I can't thank you enough for finding the "creative spelling" of my great-grandparents surnames!

        I'll keep you posted!

        Martha