RE: [S-R] New Member Introduction Attn: Bill re: BCIS

    Message 1 of 14 , May 28, 2010
      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ins_foia_petitions.htm

      Bill

      -----Original Message-----
      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com] On
      Behalf Of Bardsapp
      Sent: Friday, May 28, 2010 4:02 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [S-R] New Member Introduction Attn: Bill re: BCIS

      I've never heard of writing to Homeland Security/BCIS. What is BCIS?

      Welcome,
      It may be the same village, with different names. Villages sometimes had
      as many as eight different names. For Slovakia, the most dramatic changes
      were between Magyar and Slovak in 1920.

      It does not surprise me that the name was changed after arrival. It was
      often done by the immigrant himself to aid in pronunciation, assimilation
      or other reasons. Changing names at ellis island is a myth, simple as
      that.

      I strongly encourage you to write to the Homeland Security/BCIS to get a
      copy of his immigration file.

      Bill

      On Mon, May 24, 2010 4:17 pm, Bardsapp wrote:
      > I have just signed on and am beginning research for Pribula, although I'm
      > seeing spellings of Tusbula and Pudbuda. I remember my father pronouncing
      > something very close to the latter once and saying it translated along the
      > lines as "one with many children" so I'm buying that and I'm wondering if
      > the former is a difficulty of accents. What intrigues me, however, is that
      > this was reverted to in the 1930s in Pennsylvania, not on the shipping
      > records.
      >

      > Right now I'm concentrating on Janos Pribula from Modor, Hungary born who
      > came to Chicago, Illinois at the age of 19, born March 9, 1889 as he
      > indicates at various times in either Austria-Hungary or Czech. I'm having
      > trouble reading his ship's papers to read his father's village of birth
      > but
      > it appears to be different than the village he left. I'm having trouble
      > reading his father, Janos' birth place on the Ellis Island sheet. If
      > anyone
      > can help me, it would help me find out where to search. I can give you
      > either the Ancestry.com link or the Ellis Island link.
      >

      > When Janos arrived in New York, he was met by a sister who went by the
      > name
      > of Suzanna. Can anyone suggest what this was an Americanization of in
      > Hungarian?
      >

      > I was always told I was Czech but I see by the census that the census
      > taker
      > in the early days put down Austria, then Hungary and then West Slovian or
      > Czechoslovakian. I'm assuming this is the changing political times. My
      > gfather was a minister in Slovak churches in Illinois and Pennsylvania.
      > However, my father was careful to say that he considered himself Czech and
      > of scholarly stock. I say this not to create separation but because I'm
      > very
      > confused on where to look for the European ties. Or, does it matter?
      >

      > I've read through some of the recently-posted messages and plan to start a
      > tree on www.rodokmen.com.
      >

      > How do I find out where my local LDS history center is? What do I enter
      > into
      > the Google search field?
      >

      > Nice to meet you all.

      Bill Tarkulich