searching for ancestors

  • Stephen Dulin, Jr.
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
      Hello,

      I am new to the list. My name is Stephen Dulin, Jr. I am of Slovak
      descent (father's side). I am interested in finding out what part of
      Slovakia my ancestors came from. They came to the U.S.A. around 1910
      A.D. They settled in Youngstown, Ohio. They were Byzantine Catholic. I
      think that Byzantine Catholics come from the Eastern part of Slovakia
      (not sure). My Grandfather's name was Stephen (Stefan) and my
      grandmother's name was Anna (her maiden name was Bodnar). My father died
      in 1979, so I don't have alot of information about my Slovak ancestry.
      I would appreciate any information that could be provided.

      Thanks, and God Bless, Stephen Dulin, Jr.
    • Bernardine Weigand
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
        Hello Stephen and welcome to the list.

        Yes, there were/are many Byzantine Catholics in eastern Slovakia.

        Do you have any village names? That would be helpful in trying to locate any possible living relatives as well as tracking down some vital statistical records. If you send me your e-mail address, I shall send you any info. I might have.

        Good luck,
        Bernardine bweigand@...

        Stephen Dulin, Jr. wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I am new to the list. My name is Stephen Dulin, Jr. I am of Slovak
        > descent (father's side). I am interested in finding out what part of
        > Slovakia my ancestors came from. They came to the U.S.A. around 1910
        > A.D. They settled in Youngstown, Ohio. They were Byzantine Catholic. I
        > think that Byzantine Catholics come from the Eastern part of Slovakia
        > (not sure). My Grandfather's name was Stephen (Stefan) and my
        > grandmother's name was Anna (her maiden name was Bodnar). My father died
        > in 1979, so I don't have alot of information about my Slovak ancestry.
        > I would appreciate any information that could be provided.
        >
        > Thanks, and God Bless, Stephen Dulin, Jr.

      • John
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
          At 11:41 AM 11/6/00 -0500, you wrote:
          >Hello,
          >
          > I am new to the list. My name is Stephen Dulin, Jr. I am of Slovak

          The online Slovak phone book shows one in Stara Lubovna and several Dulin,
          Dulinova (feminine), and Dulina in the eastern Slovakia towns of Bardejov,
          Preshov, and Kosice. The same is true for Bodnar I'm sure.

          Štefan Dulin
          Tatranská 14, Stará Lubovna
          Phone - 0963/4324839

          MVDr. Miloš Bodnár
          Mierová 48/1, Stará Lubovna
          Phone - 0963/4323217

          You might start with local (Youngstown) church records to see if you could
          find their village. Another good bet are citizenship papers, death
          certificates, military records, etc.. I was able to determine the date and
          ship my father arrived on in 1909 from the Declaration of Intent that is
          associated with Citizenship Certificates. Once you have the village, you
          should be able to get microfilms of the church records for the village at
          the LDS Family History Center and you're on your way to an interesting
          experience. They have microfilmed church records in Eastern Slovakia and
          many other locations.

          John
        • sabinov@webtv.net
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
            Hello Stephen,

            What searching have you done in the US census and in US records? To find
            a place of origin, you need to look at death records, marriage records,
            wills, naturalization, census and much more.

            See the sections on my Helpful Hints page, url below, for some ways to
            get started.

            Maura

            Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          • Stephen Dulin, Jr.
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
              Maura,

              Thank you and God Bless, Stephen

              sabinov@... wrote:

              > Hello Stephen,
              >
              > What searching have you done in the US census and in US records? To find
              > a place of origin, you need to look at death records, marriage records,
              > wills, naturalization, census and much more.
              >
              > See the sections on my Helpful Hints page, url below, for some ways to
              > get started.
              >
              > Maura

              > http://community.webtv.net/mpetzolt2/helpfulhints
              > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            • Stephen Dulin, Jr.
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
                John,

                I will contact the Catholic church that my grandparents attended in
                Youngstown, they may have some information.
                Thanks for you help and God Bless, Stephen

              • AlfHarley883@cs.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
                  I know of a George Bodnar born 5/4/1896 from Gercel Czechoslovakia. He died
                  June of 1956 is buried in Liberty Cemetary in Minersville, Pa. He was my
                  dad's godfather. We think he may have been a relative on my dad's mom's side.
                  Her name was Anna Dominick (maiden name). Married name was Zambo aka Zembo we
                  have it spelled both ways & then she married a Peter Homolo. She was from
                  Prague. I too am trying to find family ties on that side of my family. Her
                  last name could've also been Domonich or Domanich, names were changed alot in
                  this country. Hope this is a help to you. If anything sounds familiar please
                  email me back.

                  Thanks,
                  Ann Fisher
                • AlfHarley883@cs.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
                    I also forgot to mention in other email they were also Byzantine Catholic.

                    Ann
                  • qt41059@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2000
                      We had some Bodnar's in Portage,IN 46368. That was my friend's maiden name.
                      Kate
                    • Madrobnak@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 7, 2000
                        There is a family of Bodnar's in Barberton, OHIO. Older family members are
                        Byzantine Catholic; younger are Roman Catholic. Mary Anne
                      • qt41059@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 7, 2000
                          Hi Stephen
                          My name is Kate Sudik. I too am looking for my slovak ancestry on my dad's
                          side. I think my granfather too went to Youngstown but then moved to Gary,
                          IN to United states Steel. I don't have much on my grandfather either. My
                          dad is still living (83) but doesnt really know much. We think they were
                          from a town in Slovakia called Oresany. He married a woman named Elizabeth
                          Bartko. If you know how to begin the search, I would be most grateful for
                          any tips. We think my grandfather came over when he was a teenager, or a
                          little older. If you could help, that would be great
                          Kate
                        • qt41059@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 7, 2000
                            stephen
                            I forgot to tell you that my friend who lives in Arizona, her maiden name is
                            Bodnar. Some lived in Gary, IN , some in Portage IN. Her first name is
                            Debbie (Rupp) They have a BIG family.
                          • cac4@lehigh.edu
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 8, 2000
                              Ann

                              Ann,
                              Maybe we may have some connections. I am also researching my
                              relatives from the minersville area. My great grandmother's name was
                              Mary Klocsak who came from Trebisov. She married George Kalochick or
                              Kalochock but I believe the correct spelling was Kalovcsak. It is
                              spelled that way on her gravestone. When her daughter, my grandmother
                              Bertha, was in school, they spelled it Kalochie. I have two great
                              uncle's George and Michael Kalochie and a Great Aunt Mary who are
                              still alive.

                              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, AlfHarley883@c... wrote

                            • AlfHarley883@cs.com
                              Message 14 of 14 , Nov 8, 2000
                                Sorry, as of yet I haven't come up with any of these names. You might want to
                                try the Schuylkill County PaGenWeb page. That is where I have been able to
                                get some of my information. Good luck.