Akron , Ohio

  • haluska
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26, 2010
      I am wondering if any of the group is from Akron,Ohio? Or possibly can
      direct me to locating a news article or death notice from August 22-23
      1946.

      I have a relation (Joseph Chorey) who was killed driving his Milk Truck
      on the morning of August 22,1946.

      Joseph was born in Plymouth,Pa Feb.16,1923. He had been recently
      discharged from the 8th.Army Air Corp.the previous year

      where he served as a 1st.Lt as a Bombardier. I am hoping to confirm
      parts of the story and hope to also confirm his parents names.

      Thanks,Dennis
    • Lanik,Donna M
      Message 2 of 8 , May 26, 2010
        I am from Akron, OH. I will look for an article or obit in the Akron Beacon Journal. The Beacon Journal archive is not online. I will go to the library and look up the microfilm.

        Donna Lanik

        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2010
          That would be great Donna! I think you have enough info but if you need
          more E-mail me OK?

          Thanks,Dennis

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Lanik,Donna M" <dmlanik@...>
          wrote:

          > I am from Akron, OH. I will look for an article or obit in the Akron
          Beacon Journal. The Beacon Journal archive is not online. I will go to
          the library and look up the microfilm.

          > Donna Lanik

        • J.B. Bulharowski
          Message 4 of 8 , May 26, 2010
            Dennis/Donna:

            Sweet/sad story. What a great gesture on your part Donna to go look in the Library for the information Dennis seeks, bless you.

            Dennis' whole story made me think of my dad's younger brother who fought all the way through WWII on a Navy warship. Shortly after the war was over and he came home, he died in a bootleg mining accident. Absurd tragedies!

            Hope Donna find some info for you. Let us know what you learn.

            Best,
            JB

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , May 26, 2010
              Dennis,

              I think this might be his death certificate.  I found it on:
              http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203983263666#alivePlaceLoc1=Ohio%2C%20United%20States&p=recordResults&surname=Chorey&givenName=Joseph&searchType=close&placeId=43

              His father's name was John, his mother's name was Mary.

              Jody
              Old genealogists never die, they just lose their census!

              Message 6 of 8 , May 26, 2010
                Hello
                I'm from nearby in Cleveland, Ohio

                Rich

                Ganoman1@...

                ________________________________

              • PHILBAER@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , May 26, 2010
                  Dennis,

                  I sent you some information that I found for your relatives and sent it directly to you:

                  Death certificate - that confirmed he was a milkman and died from an accident
                  1920 census for Joseph's Father, John Chorey and Mary + 4 childfren born before Joseph
                  WWI & WWII draft registrations for John Chorey. The WWI draft registration listed his DOB (1 April 1887) and his place of birth as ? Reviena? Austria

                  Philip Baer

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 26, 2010
                    The clipping is great! Everything is more than I had. The village is
                    Remenye or today known as Remeniny and John was his father.

                    The poor guy never had a chance to have a family.

                    I can not thank you enough for your time. Do you live next door to the
                    library?

                    Everyone here at Slovak-Roots are the best there is! #1 group in my
                    book......

                    Dennis