[PBS] Lubovnianske Kupele, slovakia

  • Jenny Brichta
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
      Andrea,

      I copied this from another list (can't remember which one). This will let
      you look up the location of the records for a particular town in Slovakia.
      Jenny

      Slovakia - Cross Index of towns.

      There is a microfische cross reference of all towns in Slovakia
      and the parish under which the data is recorded. The data is a
      book the has been put on both microfische and microfilm. Most FHCs have
      one or the other.
      If neither is available, you should order the microfiche since it then
      becomes part of the
      permanent records at the FHC>

      Relevant Data:

      Author: Jana Kalesna
      Title: Prehlad Matrik Na Slovensko Do Zostatnenia Matricnej.
      Library Refernce Number: 943.73 K23k

      Microfische #: 6000786
      Microfilm #: 1183541 Item 4.

      To use, you look up the name of the town/village at the back of the
      book.
      Villages and towns are listed Alphabetically. Along with the town will
      be a
      list of page numbers. Go to each of the page numbers and scan the page
      for
      your village name. The village name will be listed under the name of the
      town parish
      where the church data was recorded.

      Typical will be something like this.

      Looking up Hincovce, Spis province, Slovakia Reads:
      Hincovce, Okr SNV 286, 289, 308.

      Looking on pages 286 Shows a town listed as Bystrany
      and included under Bystrany are records for Bystrany, Hincovce & Trstany

      from 1779 - 1896, Roman Catholic. Now, use the computer
      to Look up Bystrany and you will find the microfilm numbers
      for the Church (Roman Catholic) and towns listed.

      Looking under Page 289 is the identifying data for the
      Evangelical Reformed Church where Hincovce data can be found.

      Looking at page 308 identifies the town under which Jewish
      records can be found.

      I hope this makes some sense
      Regards Andy V....

      > From: "Andrea Vangor" <drav@...>
      >Subject: Fw: [PBS] Lubovnianske Kupele, slovakia
      >
      >Can someone help this lady?

    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
        Bless you, that's just what I needed. I have it in my local FHC and have
        used it -- but I never remember where to find all the particulars.

        I want to share with all listers -- I just spent some time looking over a
        microfilm or two of probate records, in this case from Bridgeport c.
        1906-1908. I did not find what I was looking for, YET. It's hard to know
        which film in this case because I don't know precisely when this particular
        death occurred. However, I did find some information on other possible
        relatives, including the names of the widows and surviving children.

        I will add, that reading over the wills of the rich folks is positively
        sumptuous -- their jewels, laces, Brussels carpets, tea sets, etc. But the
        inventories of possessions of the common people are interesting too.