N. Polac, Zemplen, Bereg, Mystery to Me

  • jjmcbm
    Message 1 of 8 , May 9, 2010
      I have 3 ancestors I have been gathering info on for family. I was told they were all friends but, I don't know if they new each other in the old country. My Grandfather has on manifest, last place of res. M.Polac and other, born Ujdavidhaza, Austria. My Grandmother on census has Czechoslovakia, as does, her 1st husband. On other documents she has Austria and, also Bereg. 1st husband, on other docs., claims born Austria, Hungary & Malcice, Zemplen, Austria. As, does his brother. Are they all talking about the same area? I've been looking at Wikipedia etc. but, things change so much on thier documents and, places and, names in country, It's kind of confusing to me. could a lot of it be just how someone else wrote thier info. Did US officials vary info on changes in the old country? As i've said before, for me, this is like trying to build a jigsaw puzzle without the box top. Hope someone can help.

      Thanks,
      John M.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9, 2010
        To understand why your two villages have so many different references you have to understand the history of the the area. What is present day Slovakia / Slovak Republic did not come into being until 1993. From 1918 to 1993 it was part of Czechoslovakia. This artificial country was formed with the defreat of the Austria-Hungarian Empire in WW II. From 1862 to 1918 Austria and Hungary formed an alliance, during this period Slovaks often said they were from Austria, rather than Hungary. Before 1862 what was often called Northern Hungary is what we now call Slovakia. Depending on the time you could have been in the same village but rightfully said you were Hungarian, Austrian, Czechoslovak or Slovak.

        Your Malcice in Zemplin County is now the Slovak town of Malcice in Michalovce County, Slovakia. The nearest large city is Trebisov. It is east of Trebisov on Highway 554 between the cities of Bracovce and Oborin.
        1382 Malcice MI/KI zemplín. 1967 pricl. o. Hradistská Molva (1949 vycl. z o. Zemplínske Hradiste).
        1773 Macza, Malczicze, 1786 Macza, Malcza, 1808 Malcza, Malcice, 1863-1913 Málca, 1920- Malcice

        http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/malcice/malcice.html Link to information page on Malcice. On it is a link to the village website, all in Slovak.

        http://www.indexmundi.com/z/?lat=48.5833333&lon=21.85&t=p&r=2420&p=malcice&cc=lo&c=slovakia Link to satellite view of Malcice.

        From the 1995 Census, partial list of surnames in Malcice -
        V obci MALCICE (okr. MICHALOVCE) sa v roku 1995 nachádzali najcastejsie tieto priezviská: MAKULA 96×; MAKULOVÁ 84×; TANCOS 62×; TANCOSOVÁ 61×; KINÁCOVÁ 21×; SINCÁK 21×; TOMKOVÁ 21×; TOMKO 19×; KINÁC 18×; HRINDA 18×; SAMUDOVSKÝ 17×; SINCÁKOVÁ 15×; SAMUDOVSKÁ 13×; HRINDOVÁ 13×; PIVARNÍK 9×; ZAJAC 9×; ANDREJOVÁ 8×; SINCAKOVÁ 8×; SABO 8×; BALÁZOVÁ 8×; TKÁC 8×; BALÁZ 8×; VASILOVÁ 8×; DUBRAVCÁKOVÁ 7×; STEFANIK 7×; JANÍK 7×; JANÍKOVÁ 7×; ZAJACOVÁ 7×; LUKÁC 7×; CIZMÁR 7×; BALOG 6×; JENCO 6×; PETRUSANSKÝ 6×; KOLOZI 6×; SAFFOVÁ 6×; ADAM 6×; BALOGOVÁ 6×; PIVARNÍKOVÁ 6×; ANDREJOV 6×; PIVARNIKOVÁ 6×; DUBRAVCÁK 6×; MATI 6×; KOZÁK 6×; SZABÓ 6×; SABOVÁ 6×; JACKOVÁ 6×; RODOM 6×; BEHUNOVÁ 5×; BAKOVÁ 5×; VASIL 5×; KOLOZIOVÁ 5×; ADAMOVÁ 5×; FEDOR 5×; PIVARNIK 5×; KMETONYOVÁ 5×; SZABOVÁ 5×; PÓCIOVÁ 5×; POCIOVÁ 5×; TIRPÁK 5×; MATIOVÁ 5×; DURASOVÁ 5×; FEDOROVÁ 5×; DUDA 4×; TKÁCOVÁ 4×; IHNATKO 4×; JENCOVÁ 4×; BRUDZ 4×; BAK 4×; PÓCI 4×; MILENKY 4×; KANCIOVÁ 4×; ZEMÁNEK 4×; KESELOVÁ 4×; MATINA 4×; KALHOUS 4×; KURANKO 4×; KOZÁKOVÁ 4×; GOST 4×; DUDÍKOVÁ 4×; FÉNYESOVÁ 4×; MORAVSKÝ 3×; BODNÁR 3×; CIZMÁROVÁ 3×; KMETONY 3×; MISKOVÁ 3×; KMECOVÁ 3×; TOMÁSOVÁ 3×; FERENCIOVÁ 3×; HAMAR 3×; JANIC 3×; BENDÍK 3×; KMEC 3×; PETRUSANSKÁ 3×; CEKLOVSKÁ 3×; SZÉLESOVÁ 3×; FULAJTÁROVÁ 3×; CEHLÁR 3×; ZITRICKÁ 3×; ZITRICKÝ 3×; KNEZO 3×, ...

        The Roman Catholic Records for Malcice are online to view.

        From an earlier posting on Slovak-Roots:
        "This is a Magyar "Hungarian" name.
        There is only one village name that even comes close:
        UJDAVIDHAZA. It was in Bereg county, Munkacsi district.
        It is now NOVO DAVIDKOVO, UKRAINE."

        "You can do a Word search for (partial) village names on Bill T's site.
        http://iabsi. com/
        Your possibilities would include the following.

        O-Davidhaza, BEREG MEGYE (now Ukraine)
        Uj-Davidhaza, BEREG MEGYE (now Ukraine)
        Davidhaza, VAS MEGYE (now Hungary)"

        Ujdavidhaza see Nove Davidkovo Towns in the Encyclopedia of Jewish Life.
        http://www.shtetlinks.jewishgen.org/Nove_Davydkovo/ Link to information page on Nove Davydkovo (as it is known in Ukrainian).

        Message 3 of 8 , May 9, 2010
          Hi John,

          If you would list out each of these citations with the year they were
          written, it would become quite apparent how the names progressed. By just
          giving us citations without putting them into context, it becomes hard to
          help. Michael has given you some broad brushes, but there are exceptions to
          every rule.

          The upper half of old zemplen county is in Slovakia today. Old Bereg county
          is n Ukraine today.

          Ujdavidhaza is Magyar (Hungarian). It is in Bereg county, which is
          present-day Ukraine. It was in the Kingdom of Hungary, which was a part of
          the austro-Hungary Empire.

          And must have been cited before 1920.

          Malcice

          Where did you get the spelling for this? It Might be MALCICE, in ZEMPLIN
          county. Called KISBOROVE from 1863 to 1920

          Did we not go over Ujdavidhaza last week? Did you do it yourself from a
          handwritten document?

          Bereg and Zemplen county were adjacent to each other. I will let you look
          at the map, the villages may have been quite close. See for youself.

          http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/vmlista.htm scroll the tobottom to see
          how they fit together.

          Bill

          Message 4 of 8 , May 9, 2010
            Thanks for all the great info. The 3 I'm working on immigrated 1905, 06, 10.It's really great to have such knowlegable people in this group.

            Thanks again,
            John M

            Message 5 of 8 , May 9, 2010
              Thanks Bill,
              Yes I looked into Ujdavidhaza on google maps. This is where my grandfather claims to be born on WW1 draft. Found a lot of good stuff from that. I also, checked out your web site. Lots of good stuff there too. Czechoslovakia comes from all 3 on 1920 census. Bereg & M. Polac from manifests as last res. 1905 - 1910. Hungary also on manifests. Zemplin as birth place on Rofar WW1 draft. Bereg on Nat. papers. Very confusing to me but, I'm still learning. I looked at the map you recommended and, I guess it's possible they all new each other before immigrating. I was told by Joseph Rofars daughter, about 8 years ago that they were all friends. This is how my Grandfather ended up marring my grandmother and caring for 4 children after Joes older brother Michael past away in the mid 20's. Glad I've got such good help.

              Message 6 of 8 , May 10, 2010
                Bereg county was a part of Hungary until 1920. It was then part of
                the first Czechoslovakia until 1939, called Transcarpathia. From 39
                to 45 it was annexed to axis Hungary. Since 1945 it has been part of
                Ukraine.

                I strongly urge you to read kirschbam's history of Slovakia,
                "struggle for survival". Your research makes it imperative.

                I am not near my references, but I think your "M Polec". Has been
                misread. Often an abbreviation "N" is seen in Magyar names, which
                means "Nagy"
                Good luck.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 8 , May 10, 2010
                  Read this
                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/kingdom_of_hungary.htm#terminology

                  http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/place_name_terminology.htm

                  Bill

                  On May 9, 2010, at 7:56 PM, JOHN MITRICSKA <jjmcbm@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks for all the great info. The 3 I'm working on immigrated 1905,
                  > 06, 10..It's really great to have such knowlegable people in this
                  > group.
                  >
                  > Thanks again,
                  > John M

                • JOHN MITRICSKA
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 10, 2010
                    Thank you,

                    I should really spend more time on your web site.

                    John M