Films in POZSONY

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2010
      I just wanted to mention that there have definitely been some new films released for towns in Pozsony.
      I have been waiting for films to be available from Trnava and its surrounding towns, and last week, when I checked, I was surprised to see quite a few films.
      They have a disclaimer mentioning that they are posted for quick release in bright red at the top of the page when you hit the film notes.

      I have a friend in Salt Lake this week, and she so generously looked at a couple of films for me from this newly released collection, and they appear to be a goldmine for my research. This is wonderful news for my genealogy, and I wanted to share my find with this board, since I don't recall seeing a posting regarding new film releases. (That does not mean that one was not posted and that I might have just missed it.)

      I was under the impression that with the new family search website and record transfer to online searches that no new films were going to be released, so this find is rather exciting and I can't wait to delve into my dad's line. I'm leaving for my Slovakia trip next week, so it was great to have my friend send me digital images of my grandfather's birth as it gave information that I was definitely lacking.
      You know I'll be ordering films when I get back.

      Barbara
    • Elaine
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2010
        Barbara, thanks for the news on new films. I'll take a look in my
        areas too.

        Have a great trip!

        Elaine

        Sent from my iPhone

        On May 7, 2010, at 11:56 AM, "genmom4" <geismom@...> wrote:

        > I just wanted to mention that there have definitely been some new
        > films released for towns in Pozsony.
        > I have been waiting for films to be available from Trnava and its
        > surrounding towns, and last week, when I checked, I was surprised to
        > see quite a few films.
        > They have a disclaimer mentioning that they are posted for quick
        > release in bright red at the top of the page when you hit the film
        > notes.
        >
        > I have a friend in Salt Lake this week, and she so generously looked
        > at a couple of films for me from this newly released collection, and
        > they appear to be a goldmine for my research. This is wonderful news
        > for my genealogy, and I wanted to share my find with this board,
        > since I don't recall seeing a posting regarding new film releases.
        > (That does not mean that one was not posted and that I might have
        > just missed it.)
        >
        > I was under the impression that with the new family search website
        > and record transfer to online searches that no new films were going
        > to be released, so this find is rather exciting and I can't wait to
        > delve into my dad's line. I'm leaving for my Slovakia trip next
        > week, so it was great to have my friend send me digital images of my
        > grandfather's birth as it gave information that I was definitely
        > lacking.
        > You know I'll be ordering films when I get back.
        >
        > Barbara

      • billski
        Message 3 of 11 , May 16, 2010
          Hi Barbara,
          This is most interesting. Do you know if there is a digital image of your village on the Pilot site? http://pilot.familysearch.org

          I've dropped a note to the FHL cataloger for Slovakia to inquire as to the state of new microfilms. While I understand that west Slovakia is the last region to be recorded and published, I too am surprised. It may be because they were all filmed some time ago (real microfilm filming) that they decided to go forth.
          I'll let you know what I learn. Thanks for the tip. I've updated my web notes to indicate there are exceptions to the general rule.

          Bill

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "genmom4" <geismom@...> wrote:

          > I just wanted to mention that there have definitely been some new films released for towns in Pozsony.
          > I have been waiting for films to be available from Trnava and its surrounding towns, and last week, when I checked, I was surprised to see quite a few films.
          > They have a disclaimer mentioning that they are posted for quick release in bright red at the top of the page when you hit the film notes.
          >
          > I have a friend in Salt Lake this week, and she so generously looked at a couple of films for me from this newly released collection, and they appear to be a goldmine for my research. This is wonderful news for my genealogy, and I wanted to share my find with this board, since I don't recall seeing a posting regarding new film releases. (That does not mean that one was not posted and that I might have just missed it.)
          >
          > I was under the impression that with the new family search website and record transfer to online searches that no new films were going to be released, so this find is rather exciting and I can't wait to delve into my dad's line. I'm leaving for my Slovakia trip next week, so it was great to have my friend send me digital images of my grandfather's birth as it gave information that I was definitely lacking.
          > You know I'll be ordering films when I get back.
          >
          > Barbara

        • billski
          Message 4 of 11 , May 17, 2010
            Hi Barbara,

            The FHL sent me a note today that indicates there have been no new microfilm releases for that (or any) region. All the work is digital. Which specific villages are you referring to? I'm wondering if the catalog might have been re-indexed.

            Bill

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "genmom4" <geismom@...> wrote:

            > I just wanted to mention that there have definitely been some new films released for towns in Pozsony.
            > I have been waiting for films to be available from Trnava and its surrounding towns, and last week, when I checked, I was surprised to see quite a few films.
            > They have a disclaimer mentioning that they are posted for quick release in bright red at the top of the page when you hit the film notes.
            >
            > I have a friend in Salt Lake this week, and she so generously looked at a couple of films for me from this newly released collection, and they appear to be a goldmine for my research. This is wonderful news for my genealogy, and I wanted to share my find with this board, since I don't recall seeing a posting regarding new film releases. (That does not mean that one was not posted and that I might have just missed it.)
            >
            > I was under the impression that with the new family search website and record transfer to online searches that no new films were going to be released, so this find is rather exciting and I can't wait to delve into my dad's line. I'm leaving for my Slovakia trip next week, so it was great to have my friend send me digital images of my grandfather's birth as it gave information that I was definitely lacking.
            > You know I'll be ordering films when I get back.
            >
            > Barbara

          • Jenet Kozlay
            Message 5 of 11 , May 17, 2010
              Bill, I too noted that at last the films for a village I have been waiting for are listed. It is Verbó in old Nyitra megye. It's hard to figure why your FHL correspondent wasn't aware of this and was so adamant about no new releases.

              Janet

              Message 6 of 11 , May 17, 2010
                Hi Janet,

                The correspondent is the head cataloger for Slovakia. He wrote me later
                today to say that all microfilming has been completed and that the films
                have been released. However, not every film has a catalog entry or an
                accurate catalog entry.

                There is a heavy FHL effort to review and update the catalog for greater
                accuracy. It's also possible that the catalog entry was not "released"
                for public viewing. This is generating new "appearances".

                Because of the heavy updating (even for minor things), I have not been
                able to get a "difference report" that is worth reading. It appears that
                most entries have been updated. The best advice is to keep checking.

                The net effect is the same for you and I. It appears to be a new film for
                us. So keep watching!

                Bill

                On Mon, May 17, 2010 1:59 pm, Jenet Kozlay wrote:
                > Bill, I too noted that at last the films for a village I have been waiting
                > for are listed. It is Verbó in old Nyitra megye. It's hard to figure why
                > your FHL correspondent wasn't aware of this and was so adamant about no
                > new releases.
                >
                > Janet

                Bill Tarkulich
                http://www.iabsi.com
              • genmom4
                Message 7 of 11 , May 30, 2010
                  Dear Bill,

                  Sorry for the delay in responding, but I have not been online since you responded to this message. I was actually in Slovakia for a week, but am returning today.
                  I will address this when I get home.
                  Curious as to why they would say that there were no new films, because the films are high in number, indicating that they are newer, and there is a disclaimer regarding accuracy so that they can get the film released quicker.

                  These are not on the FHL pilot site.

                  Barbara
                  PS. Did find the grave for my gr.grandfather, Jozef Mrena, in a cemetery in Zavar. Very exciting for me and the little old lady in the cemetery who was able to help me find it, even with my very poor Slovak language skills! Zavar is one of the new films that I mentioned.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2010
                    Barbara - Welcome back. They are making a distinction between films and
                    releases. Most likely the film was completed some time ago, but not
                    released to the catalog for distribution. We must treat our relationship
                    with FHL carefully. After all they are doing us all a huge favor at no cost
                    to us.

                    What type of grave marker did you find? Did it appear to be from the time
                    period of death? And what year would that be? The reason I ask is that my
                    villages were the poorest of poor and grave markers were wooden, rotted away
                    and eventually were not replaced. I have nothing but a field of weeds and
                    hay to look at.

                    Regards,

                  • genmom4
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 1, 2010
                      Dear Bill,
                      Regarding the films. I am overjoyed that they are finally released, if that is the case. I can't wait to really dig into them now that I am home.

                      Regarding the grave...we were so lucky regarding my gr. grandfather's marker. It is in excellent condition: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636953934/in/set-72157624131547596/

                      One can actually read the inscription. The flowers on the grave indicate that someone is still caring for it.

                      Now, believe me, this was the most fortunate find regarding cemeteries.
                      I can relate to your situation regarding my Hancsak and Stofan relatives, buried in Kecerovce and Cervenica. In Cervenica, the cemetery is very old, on a hill, and it is obvious that most of the markers have rotten away. The town is very small, and I honestly believe that there is no one left of the surname to care for the grave.
                      In Kecerovce, I managed to find only one Hancsak. There should have been several. Again, I am presuming that it was an old marker that rotted away as well.

                      In Slanske Nove Mesto, we had this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4630199180/in/set-72157623990179243/

                      Give me a name, but no information. Also found his wife, buried no where near him. I was fortunate enough to have a family member drive in to town and pick up an older woman who knew where every Takac in my family line was buried. Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any of the pertinent information that I was looking for.

                      I was told that had I been able to visit the town municipal office, they would have helped me look through the records that I was seeking. But the office closed on Friday at noon, and our trip was not set up to accommodate that timing.

                      The priest in Kecerovce let me look through the actual church registry from 1895 to 1908, although he was not happy with me for being there. He kept pointing to his watch and yelling "TIME!! TIME!" I tried to be patient with him, and even though I left empty handed, I gave him 5 Euro for his time. He softened up at that gesture. I truly was appreciative of his taking his time, and allowing me to actually scan the pages for information.

                      All in all, the trip was wonderful. We searched for my husband's relatives in a small town in Austria, and there were no grave markers in that church cemetery for his family, or anyone prior to 1895, for that matter. I was told that if there was no family to upkeep the grave marker, because space in cemeteries was limited, that bodies were placed on top of those that were neglected, and a new marker was placed over the old one. Since my husband's gr. grandfather was the last of his line with no surviving siblings who married, we can only presume that was the case for him.

                      One thing is for certain, I came home with a lot more knowledge of the area then before I went, and we'd go back in a minute if the opportunity arose again. And, we'd even drive again!

                    • genmom4
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                        Dear Bill,

                        Regarding the films. I am overjoyed that they are finally released, if that is
                        the case. I can't wait to really dig into them now that I am home.

                        Regarding your question: "What type of grave marker did you find? Did it appear to be from the time period of death? And what year would that be? "

                        ..we were so lucky regarding my gr. grandfather's marker. He died in 1903. The marker is in surprisingly excellent condition:
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4636953934/in/set-72157624131547596/

                        One can actually read the inscription. The flowers on the grave indicate that
                        someone is still caring for it. Now, believe me, this was the most fortunate find regarding cemeteries.

                        To respond to your comment:
                        "The reason I ask is that my villages were the poorest of poor and grave markers were wooden, rotted away and eventually were not replaced. I have nothing but a field of weeds and hay to look at."

                        I can relate to your situation regarding my Hancsak and Stofan relatives, buried
                        in Kecerovce and Cervenica. In Cervenica, the cemetery is very old, on a hill,
                        and it is obvious that most of the markers have rotten away. The town is very
                        small, and I honestly believe that there is no one left of the surname to care
                        for the grave.
                        In Kecerovce, I managed to find only one Hancsak. There should have been
                        several. Again, I am presuming that it was an old marker that rotted away as
                        well.

                        Both of these towns are very small, and I would venture to guess would be poorer villages as you have noted. The priests do live in very nice houses, however. I found that to be very interesting considering how small the villages are. Kecerovce is surrounded by Gypsy camps which were quite unpleasant to say the least.

                        In Slanske Nove Mesto, we had this:
                        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jrcrazy/4630199180/in/set-72157623990179243/

                        Here I have a name, but no information. Also found his wife, buried no where near
                        him. I was fortunate enough to have a family member drive in to town and pick
                        up an older woman who knew where every Takac in my family line was buried.
                        Unfortunately, no one seemed to know any of the pertinent information that I was
                        looking for. There were several Takac families living in that town and I have not been able to discern which are mine. The records for that area are not the best, and no 1869 census has been released for that area.

                        I was told that had I would have been able to visit the town municipal office, and that they would have helped me look through the records that I was seeking. But the office
                        closed on Friday at noon, and our trip was not set up to accommodate that
                        timing. However, these people do not speak English. I would have needed a translator as my Slovak skills are just in the primary stages. Enough to get me some necessary help, but not enough to get what I would need in this case.

[...]

                        before I went, met some fascinating people, ate some out-of-this-world haluski made with sheep cheese, drank some wonderful Slovak wine and I can't speak more highly of my trip.
                        We'd go back in a minute if the opportunity arose again.
                        And, we'd even drive again!

                        I might post some of my adventures on Slovak World if anyone might be interested.
                        Barbara
                      • haluska
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 3, 2010
                          I sure am interested. I plan to visit my villages in the future...

                          Dennis