SZELESZTO, SELESZTO (BEREG) AUSTRIA HUNGARY

  • genmom4
    Message 1 of 6 , May 4 7:27 PM
      Can anyone tell me if the present day name for this town is Kol'chyno?

      If not would you be able to give me the present day name? I am having difficulty placing it.

      I could not locate any films on the FHC site for this town.
      Can someone tell me where I can find Greek Catholic records for this town?

      According to the Hungarian Gazetteer, there was a Greek Catholic Church in this town.
      If films are not available, is there another source that can be contacted for records?
      This is in the present day Ukraine. Would that suggest that this does not belong on the Slovak Roots site? Immigrants from this area identified themselves as coming from Czechoslovakia at one point.

      Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thank you.

      Barbara
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4 7:54 PM
        http://wikimapia.org/10314329/Kol-chyno There is a Kol'chyno in the Ukraine. The link to a map shows it is in a very crowded neighborhood of villages.

        http://www.travelcalc.com/cities/view/id/1651788/city/Kol%27chyno A link to a graphic map.

        A large chuck of territory that was once a part of Czechoslovakia as reparation after WW II was given to the Ukraine. Kol'chyno was in that area.

        The history of the Slovakia lands is it was controlled the longest by Hungary, then in 1862 it was part of the the Austria-Hungarian Empire. After WW II it was incorporated into Czechoslovakia. Then in 1993 Slovakia became an independent country. Depending on when your relatives stated their nationality they could have been Hungarian, Austrian, Czechoslovak or Slovak.

        The inquiry is very legitimate for Slovak-Roots.

        There are not many villages in the Ukraine that have had their records photographed. The only option is to hire a genealogist there. http://ukrainepostalexpress.com/genealogical-research-russia-ukraine/ here is one.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 5 3:59 AM
          Michael,
          I do know where Kol'chyno is in the Ukraine. What I do NOT know is whether it would be the same town as Szelezsto/Seleszto.
          I examined a topographical map, comparing the 1910 Hungarian map of the area with a present day google map. I followed the river to where there was a fork in it according to the 1910 map and attempted to find the same fork in the present day map.

          At that spot is the town of Kol'chyno. However, I have no way of proving that it is, indeed the exact same town as Szeleszto. I am looking for confirmation of that, or a source that shows me that over time, the name changed to Kol'chyno.

          I appreciate your advice regarding how to find records. You have verified my belief that the records do not exist for viewing via Family History Centers.

          Barbara

          > http://wikimapia.org/10314329/Kol-chyno There is a Kol'chyno in the Ukraine. The link to a map shows it is in a very crowded neighborhood of villages.
          >
          > http://www.travelcalc.com/cities/view/id/1651788/city/Kol%27chyno A link to a graphic map.
          >
          > A large chuck of territory that was once a part of Czechoslovakia as reparation after WW II was given to the Ukraine. Kol'chyno was in that area.
          >
          > The history of the Slovakia lands is it was controlled the longest by Hungary, then in 1862 it was part of the the Austria-Hungarian Empire. After WW II it was incorporated into Czechoslovakia. Then in 1993 Slovakia became an independent country. Depending on when your relatives stated their nationality they could have been Hungarian, Austrian, Czechoslovak or Slovak.
          >
          > The inquiry is very legitimate for Slovak-Roots.
          >
          > There are not many villages in the Ukraine that have had their records photographed. The only option is to hire a genealogist there. http://ukrainepostalexpress.com/genealogical-research-russia-ukraine/ here is one.

        • Janet Kozlay
          Message 4 of 6 , May 5 5:00 AM
            According to Radix (http://www.radixforum.com/places/kol'chyne_[shelestovo]/
            <http://www.radixforum.com/places/kol'chyne_%5bshelestovo%5d/> ), it is the
            same town.

            Janet

            Message 5 of 6 , May 5 5:07 AM
              According to
              "Magyar helységnév-azonosító szótár", György Lelkes, Talma Publishers, 1998
              The appear to be different, but nearby, perhaps even administratively
              consolidated. It's hard to tell. I copied it verbatim below, I can't
              really figure out what is being said, I've run out of time for the day.

              http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/bereg.jpg
              illustrates both villages, due north from MUNKACS
              There are other, older castradal maps that may be worth examining.

              Hope this helps.
              Bill

              SZELESTO Bereg vm. Latorcai j. (szekhely: Oroszveg)
              Pop. 636.
              Szelesto
              Sleszto, Sleszto (1939), Selesztova.
              Slovak: Selestow,
              Selestowo, combined Kolcseny - Kolcsino (present-day Selesztove, Ukraine)

              KOLCSENY Bereg, vm Latorcai
              Pop 536
              Kolcsen, Kolcsino, Slovak: Kolcin
              Ukrainian: Kolcsino, Kolcsi, Kolcsine,
              Combined Frigyesfalva-Klenovci Kendereske - Konoplivci Seleszto (Szelesto)
              - Selesztove Ujklenoc (Nyarasdomb) - Klenovec.
              Presen-day KOLCSINO, UKRAINE)

              Bill

              I do know where Kol'chyno is in the Ukraine. What I do NOT know is whether
              it would be the same town as Szelezsto/Seleszto.
              I examined a topographical map, comparing the 1910 Hungarian map of the area
              with a present day google map. I followed the river to where there was a
              fork in it according to the 1910 map and attempted to find the same fork in
              the present day map.

              At that spot is the town of Kol'chyno. However, I have no way of proving
              that it is, indeed the exact same town as Szeleszto. I am looking for
              confirmation of that, or a source that shows me that over time, the name
              changed to Kol'chyno.

              I appreciate your advice regarding how to find records. You have verified
              my belief that the records do not exist for viewing via Family History
              Centers.

              Barbara

              > http://wikimapia.org/10314329/Kol-chyno There is a Kol'chyno in the
              Ukraine. The link to a map shows it is in a very crowded neighborhood of
              villages.

              > http://www.travelcalc.com/cities/view/id/1651788/city/Kol%27chyno A link
              to a graphic map.

              > A large chuck of territory that was once a part of Czechoslovakia as
              reparation after WW II was given to the Ukraine. Kol'chyno was in that area.

              > The history of the Slovakia lands is it was controlled the longest by
              Hungary, then in 1862 it was part of the the Austria-Hungarian Empire. After
              WW II it was incorporated into Czechoslovakia. Then in 1993 Slovakia became
              an independent country. Depending on when your relatives stated their
              nationality they could have been Hungarian, Austrian, Czechoslovak or
              Slovak.

              > The inquiry is very legitimate for Slovak-Roots.
              >
              > There are not many villages in the Ukraine that have had their records
              photographed. The only option is to hire a genealogist there.
              http://ukrainepostalexpress.com/genealogical-research-russia-ukraine/ here
              is one.

            • genmom4
              Message 6 of 6 , May 5 7:12 AM
                Thanks to Janet & Bill for their help in identifying this. I need to remember to use this Radix site more diligently!
                Barbara