[S-R] Re: Ujdandhaza, Ujdaisdaza, Ujdavidhaza / Mitricska

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , May 4, 2010
      >>> Ujdandhaza, Ujdaisdaza, Ujdavidhaza <<<

      There is an important lesson to be learned here. The above are TRANSCRIPTIONS of the village name on the Ellis Island manifests. DON'T use the transcriptions without looking at the manifest.

      On the manifest, in each case, the village name is quite clearly Ujdavidhaza.

      If your Mitricskas were headed for Carteret, NJ, then this is your clan.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 4, 2010
        Hi All,

        It would be nice to see the Ellis Island datbase "cleaned up" with
        corrections such as these. We've discussed this for years. They do
        solicit corrections. However, given the complexity and expense of such a
        task, I doubt we will see it happen for a long time.

        Bill

        On Tue, May 4, 2010 8:01 am, John wrote:

        > There is an important lesson to be learned here. The above are
        > TRANSCRIPTIONS of the village name on the Ellis Island manifests. DON'T
        > use the transcriptions without looking at the manifest.
        >
        > On the manifest, in each case, the village name is quite clearly
        > Ujdavidhaza.
        >
        > If your Mitricskas were headed for Carteret, NJ, then this is your clan.

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
      • JOHN MITRICSKA
        Message 3 of 11 , May 4, 2010
          Hi John Q,
           This is great info. I know basically nothing about the country or language. I also see Bereg as last res. for some who could be relatives. Now, that makes a lot of sense and, puts some people together.

          I was guessing Ujdavidhazaz meant the city of david. Pretty close guess for me.

          I've been looking for Mitricska, Rofar and, Kenderes. All family and friends, living near each other in the US. This is supposedly how Mitricska married Kenderes after the death of Rofar in the mid 20's

          Manifests, cesus for 10,20,30, nat. papers, all a little different. Some Czech, Austria, Ujdavidhaza, Slovenia, Slovakia, All speaking Slovak.

          This is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without the picture and people like you sure to clear things up.

          Thank you,
          John M

        • JOHN MITRICSKA
          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2010
            Hi John Q,

            Grandfather was heading for PA but, had a sister in Carteret NJ. Dad thinks also another sister in NY.  I think a brother also near Carteret in 20's. Family eventually in Carteret by 31. Dad born Perth Amboy. His younger brother born Braddock PA 29.

            Thanks for all your help and advise,
            John M