Re: LOVZIA

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, jajames@c... wrote:
      > My Grandfather stated in a public document that he was born in
      > Lovzia, Poland. When I try to search for this on the internet, I get
      > no results. Can anyone tell me where this town is located? Is it
      > close to the Slovak border? I don't think he knew my Grandmother
      > before she came to the United States from Ilava, Slovakia. But would
      > like to see these towns on a map.
      >
      > I know this isn't directly about Slovakia, but I hope it is alright
      > to ask.
      >
      > Thank you,
      > Judy

      Lovzia is not a Polish spelling.

      Polish doesn't use the letter v.
      It uses letter 'w' which is pron. like English 'v' in van.
      And the letter 'z' is pron. 's'.

      Somewhere surname researchers got the idea if they search the Web
      for a town or surname it will appear in some Internet listing.
      This is simply not true.

      Did GF speak Polish , too ?
      Zrobil~ dziadek mówiæ po polsku?

      What was the public document ?

      If he had been asked the question where he was born and he responded,
      the listener wrote down what he thought your GF said, not the actual
      spelling of the place name.
      Nobody checked.
      Precision in spelling is a modern day convention.

      On the otherhand,if you were looking for a reference to say, Spis in
      Slovakia, you would get 100s of hits, all from Polish sites because
      'spis' means list in Polish.
    • Judy/Dick James
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
        My Grandfather was giving an affidavit in county court regarding adoption of
        my grandmothers' son, who came from Slovakia with her. They each had to
        state their names and where they were born.
        As far as I know, I only spoke German. But on the affidavit, his birth place
        is listed as "Lovzia, Poland (Germany)". I assumed it was in Poland, but
        when Poland was part of the German Empire. I have a school document which
        also states my Grandfather Stuve's birthplace, but it is in handwriting and
        I have trouble with some of the letters. It looks like Lovzia, but could
        also be Sovzia.
        the document heading begins with a handwritten, long word that I can't
        translate. the next word is part of the printed form and says Volkshule zu
        which I thought meant pubic school in" then there is a blank filled in with
        "Lovzia", then the form word "kries" and another handwritten word that
        resembles "university".

        If it is not against the rules for this site to introduce other than
        Slovakian documents, I could scan it and put it on for viewing. It isn't too
        bad except where it had been folded for so many years and the paper broke.
        Apparently my grandfather carried it with him for a long time.

        I am also going to the university today in hopes of finding some historical
        maps.

        Thanks to all who responded with helpful suggestions.

        Judy

        > > My Grandfather stated in a public document that he was born in
        > > Lovzia, Poland. When I try to search for this on the internet, I get
        > > no results. Can anyone tell me where this town is located? Is it
        > > close to the Slovak border? I don't think he knew my Grandmother
        > > before she came to the United States from Ilava, Slovakia. But would
        > > like to see these towns on a map.
        > >
        > > I know this isn't directly about Slovakia, but I hope it is alright
        > > to ask.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > > Judy
        >
        > Lovzia is not a Polish spelling.
        >
        > Polish doesn't use the letter v.
        > It uses letter 'w' which is pron. like English 'v' in van.
        > And the letter 'z' is pron. 's'.
        >
        > Somewhere surname researchers got the idea if they search the Web
        > for a town or surname it will appear in some Internet listing.
        > This is simply not true.
        >
        > Did GF speak Polish , too ?
        > Zrobil~ dziadek mówiæ po polsku?
        >
        > What was the public document ?
        >
        > If he had been asked the question where he was born and he responded,
        > the listener wrote down what he thought your GF said, not the actual
        > spelling of the place name.
        > Nobody checked.
        > Precision in spelling is a modern day convention.
        >
        > On the otherhand,if you were looking for a reference to say, Spis in
        > Slovakia, you would get 100s of hits, all from Polish sites because
        > 'spis' means list in Polish.

      • Judy/Dick James
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 3, 2000
          Sorry for the typing error. It should have said that "he only spoke German"
          to the best of my knowledge. But he died the year I was born, so I really
          don't know if he spoke Polish too.