Re: [S-R] Re: Ujdandhaza, Ujdaisdaza, Ujdavidhaza / Mitricska

  • JOHN MITRICSKA
    Message 1 of 11 , May 3, 2010
      Hi John,

      Yes, from Ellis & WW2 draft. I'll try the site you recommended.

      Thanks,
      John M

      Message 2 of 11 , May 3, 2010
        Hello JM
        I'm with JA on this one.
        This is a Magyar "Hungarian" name.
        There is only one village name that even comes close:
        UJDAVIDHAZA. It was in Bereg county, Munkacsi district.
        It is now NOVO DAVIDKOVO, UKRAINE.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 11 , May 3, 2010
          Thanks Bill,

          I need to get myself some maps & start marking locations. Also, learn a little more history and language. I posed the question once before that, my grandfathers WW1 draft said something like Davidlaz, Revelgard, Austria but, I don't think he wrote it. All the other versions came from this group and Ellis. I'll try looking for records in the place you suggested. Any clues where to start?

          Thanks Again,
          John

          Message 4 of 11 , May 4, 2010
            >>> I need to get myself some maps & start marking locations. <<<

            Google Earth will take you to NOVE DAVYDKOVO, UKRAINE

            Nove Davydkovo is a small farming village in the suburbs of Mukachevo (Munkács) in Transcarpathian Ukraine. It lies in a plain beneath Palanok Castle near the foothills of the Carpathian Mountains. Historically, it was part of the Kingdom of Hungary from the 11th century until 1918, when it was called Uj-Dávidháza, meaning "David's new home." It was located in Bereg megyé (county) and Munkácsi járás (district). It then became part of Czechoslovakia (1918-1938), when the region was referred to as Podkarpatská Rus (Sub-Carpathia), and the town was called Nové Davidkovo. The region reverted to Hungary during World War II, and then was annexed to the Soviet Union, in 1945, until Ukrainian independence in 1991. Today, it is part of Mukachevo Raion and the Zakarpattia Oblast of Ukraine.

            Other spellings/names for Nove Davydkovo are: Novoye Davydkovo, Nove Davydkove and Nowe Dawydkowo. In Yiddish, it was referred to as Greis Davidkif.

            Nove Davydkovo is located about 4 miles West of Mukacheve.
          • John
            Message 5 of 11 , May 4, 2010
              Today, Nove Davydkovo is a rather large village of about 4,006 inhabitants on the outskirts of Mukachevo.

              In 1877 had a population of 1,305. By 1941, a total of 2,653 people. Rusyns comprised the majority of the population, with a small Jewish and smaller Hungarian minority. The religious composition of the village in 1877. Of the total population of 1,304 people, 1,080 were adherents of the Greek Orthodox faith (typical among Rusyns), 159 were Jews, and the remainder were Roman Catholic (6) or Reformed (59), likely Hungarian.
            • John
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4, 2010
                >>> Ujdandhaza, Ujdaisdaza, Ujdavidhaza <<<

                There is an important lesson to be learned here. The above are TRANSCRIPTIONS of the village name on the Ellis Island manifests. DON'T use the transcriptions without looking at the manifest.

                On the manifest, in each case, the village name is quite clearly Ujdavidhaza.

                If your Mitricskas were headed for Carteret, NJ, then this is your clan.
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4, 2010
                  Hi All,

                  It would be nice to see the Ellis Island datbase "cleaned up" with
                  corrections such as these. We've discussed this for years. They do
                  solicit corrections. However, given the complexity and expense of such a
                  task, I doubt we will see it happen for a long time.

                  Bill

                  On Tue, May 4, 2010 8:01 am, John wrote:

                  > There is an important lesson to be learned here. The above are
                  > TRANSCRIPTIONS of the village name on the Ellis Island manifests. DON'T
                  > use the transcriptions without looking at the manifest.
                  >
                  > On the manifest, in each case, the village name is quite clearly
                  > Ujdavidhaza.
                  >
                  > If your Mitricskas were headed for Carteret, NJ, then this is your clan.

                  Bill Tarkulich
                  http://www.iabsi.com
                • JOHN MITRICSKA
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4, 2010
                    Hi John Q,
                     This is great info. I know basically nothing about the country or language. I also see Bereg as last res. for some who could be relatives. Now, that makes a lot of sense and, puts some people together.

                    I was guessing Ujdavidhazaz meant the city of david. Pretty close guess for me.

                    I've been looking for Mitricska, Rofar and, Kenderes. All family and friends, living near each other in the US. This is supposedly how Mitricska married Kenderes after the death of Rofar in the mid 20's

                    Manifests, cesus for 10,20,30, nat. papers, all a little different. Some Czech, Austria, Ujdavidhaza, Slovenia, Slovakia, All speaking Slovak.

                    This is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle without the picture and people like you sure to clear things up.

                    Thank you,
                    John M

                  • JOHN MITRICSKA
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4, 2010
                      Hi John Q,

                      Grandfather was heading for PA but, had a sister in Carteret NJ. Dad thinks also another sister in NY.  I think a brother also near Carteret in 20's. Family eventually in Carteret by 31. Dad born Perth Amboy. His younger brother born Braddock PA 29.

                      Thanks for all your help and advise,
                      John M