RE: [S-R] Re: LDS RECORDS RELEASE - It's Names

    Message 1 of 15 , May 3 5:35 AM
      Thanks Eugene,
      Important information, as it gives an indication which country collections
      are being updated. Since you have posted it on a Slovak site, I wondered if
      it might bear some relevance to the group.

      Of course there are dozens of US-records projects underway. There are no
      Slovakia index projects underway or planned.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 15 , May 3 9:11 AM
        Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

        My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

        Linda
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3 10:48 AM
          There are many records, but not too many are online. The current FHL Pilot
          project is bringing many Czech Republic records online as we speak, but
          you'll need to check regularly. This is a brand new-project - very few
          Czech Republic records were available before this project began. Expect it
          to take several years, as they all do.
          http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=1&p=allCollections

          The remainder would need to be extracted by someone for hire to hit the
          streets of the Archives directly for you, for a fee most likely.

          The FHL has a limited number on microfilm.

          Bill

          Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

          My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

          Linda

        • helene cincebeaux
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3 1:25 PM
             hi Linda - do you know about the CGSI - the Czechoslovak Genealolgy and Cultural Society - they have done many data bases and have a huge library and you can arrange a search of records - www.cgsi.org

            if you might like to explore having someone do research i have a friend who does it tho it's gotten harder as have to reserve way in advance to go to an archive there and use the books, also fees for this.

            Really important to have 3 things - the person's first and last name, the exact birth date, the place of birth there.

            i have another friend also in Prague who writes letters to village mayors and people with similar surnames in the phone book.

            helene
            helenezx@...

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3 1:47 PM
              Thanks for the feedback. What I have is a land document in Kansas that
              gives last residence as Pecinov Bohemia.

              I have a newspaper clipping that shows Georg Pitner visited with his
              brother James (Wenzel) Pittner .

              Georg was born in Praha.

              All three immigrated to Rawlins County, Kansas. There was also a
              mention of Charles and Michael.
              For Michael, it says Hungary. I don't know who they were.

              All ship manifests for Wenzel, Antoin and George show Kingdom of
              Bohemia. No Town.

              I plan a trip to Rawlins County to look through old church records,
              library, court house & museum.
              Somewhere there must be an ancestral village listed.

              G-Grandma was Josepha Soukup Pitner. Other Soukup's settles in the area
              but again only Bohemia.

              Linda