Re: [S-R] HRABOVCSIK Greek Catholic records for RAKOCZ

    Message 1 of 21 , May 1 5:23 AM
      Hi Martha,
      This is commonplace. It could be any reason at all. The priest might
      have died. Most churches have these same problems with no consistency
      at all. Try neighboring parishes. Look at local history for events
      during this era. Every village is different.
      Regards,

      Bill

      Message 2 of 21 , May 1 5:42 AM
        Sometimes we find the church records in the village offices. 99% of
        the time it takes a personal visit to the village to read them.
        Villages very very rarely reply to written requests from foreigners.

        Bill

        On May 1, 2010, at 4:48 AM, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

        > Hi Everyone!
        >
        > I am looking through the G C records on the Pilot search for the
        > baptism of my great grandmother, Anna KUNDRAT. Birth date is
        > January 1873 in Rakocz. I have found several other KUNDRAT familiy
        > members in House #7 and House #8, one of these homes is the correct
        > home. However, my BIG problem is that the records begin with 1870
        > through 1872 and SKIP 1873 & 1874 and pick-up again with 1875. I've
        > looked at all 82 pages of the records and everything else seems to
        > be in the correct order (with a duplicate page here and there) but I
        > am used to that. My question is - does anyone know what might have
        > happened to these two missing years of records? Are they lost or
        > could they be in with some other village by mistake?
        >
        > Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
        >
        > Martha

        > ! Groups Links

      • John
        Message 3 of 21 , May 1 6:16 AM
          >>> My question is - does anyone know what might have happened to these two missing years of records? <<<

          If they weren't loose pages stuffed into the front or back of the book, then your option is Druhopisy -- the bishop's copy. Mick Sura has researched 20 years of missing Dubravka GC records for me. They are located in Satorjaujhelly, Hungary. A copy of your missing pages may be there too. Of course, professional research comes at a cost.
        • gklodzen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , May 1 6:33 AM
            I know just what you mean. Several years ago I found that two years worth
            of 1880s marriage information were missing from the Catholic church records
            of the village of Vinne, Slovakia and haven't found them elsewhere since.
            As Bill has indicated, for a variety of reasons sometimes the records we
            seek just are not there.

            Good luck to you,
            Eugene Klodzen

            .

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 21 , May 1 7:17 AM
              After looking at the Druhopisty as suggested, go back and look for your village under the RC records. I swear there are duplicate images on some of the GC & RC records for Sulin.

              Presuming you are saving the images to disc, I suggest noting the year in the name & also, if there are two images of the same page, which is 'bad' or 'duplicate see #123' to save searching the duplicate again. I also add the first initial of interesting last names to ease going back.

              It seems the site was down for a while and saving does not automatically generate a unique image number. That is a shame, it would be handy to coordinate the work between two people searching the same village.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 21 , May 1 8:39 AM
                Good idea for all villages in zemplin county

                Bill

                Message 7 of 21 , May 1 8:40 AM
                  Great idea. Leave no stone unturned!

                  Bill

                  On May 1, 2010, at 10:17 AM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                  > After looking at the Druhopisty as suggested, go back and look for
                  > your village under the RC records. I swear there are duplicate
                  > images on some of the GC & RC records for Sulin.
                  >
                  > Presuming you are saving the images to disc, I suggest noting the
                  > year in the name & also, if there are two images of the same page,
                  > which is 'bad' or 'duplicate see #123' to save searching the
                  > duplicate again. I also add the first initial of interesting last
                  > names to ease going back.
                  >
                  > It seems the site was down for a while and saving does not
                  > automatically generate a unique image number. That is a shame, it
                  > would be handy to coordinate the work between two people searching
                  > the same village.
                  >
                  > Ron
                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...>
                  > wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Hi Everyone!
                  >>
                  >> I am looking through the G C records on the Pilot search for the
                  >> baptism of my great grandmother, Anna KUNDRAT. Birth date is
                  >> January 1873 in Rakocz. I have found several other KUNDRAT familiy
                  >> members in House #7 and House #8, one of these homes is the correct
                  >> home. However, my BIG problem is that the records begin with 1870
                  >> through 1872 and SKIP 1873 & 1874 and pick-up again with 1875.
                  >> I've looked at all 82 pages of the records and everything else
                  >> seems to be in the correct order (with a duplicate page here and
                  >> there) but I am used to that. My question is - does anyone know
                  >> what might have happened to these two missing years of records?
                  >> Are they lost or could they be in with some other village by mistake?
                  >>
                  >> Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
                  >>
                  >> Martha

                  > ! Groups Links

                • Julie & Kevin
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 1 9:03 AM
                    In looking for a marriage of my gr. gr. great grandparents , I found it
                    in the village of HER birth, even though they married in HIS village!

                    Julie B in NC

                    Message 9 of 21 , May 1 10:49 AM
                      That was not cool! Read on

                      p. 219

                      “…A daughter-in-law’s position was easier if she got married in
                      her hometown. Villagers said that she usually wanted to be close to
                      her mother. For this and other reasons, local endogamy of wedding was
                      preferred, not because the daughter-in-law’s family had to solve her
                      problems, but the daughter could run home, eat and cry out her
                      sorrows. … According to public opinion, only a girl who did not
                      have any better choice got married outside her native village. A
                      young man should find a girl “close to his church”. “

                      http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/traditions.htm
                      Bill

                      On May 1, 2010, at 12:03 PM, "Julie & Kevin" <kajbene@...>
                      wrote:

                      > In looking for a marriage of my gr. gr. great grandparents , I
                      > found it
                      > in the village of HER birth, even though they married in HIS village!
                      >
                      > Julie B in NC

                    • Linda
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 1 11:02 AM
                        My Grandfather had to travel to Grandma's home town to marry her.
                        It was an arranged marriage and it was not considered appropriate for
                        the young bride to be alone with the man before marriage. Therefore,
                        the groom travel to the bride's town.

                        Also, some great uncles from Moravia had arranged marriages. They had a
                        matchmaker in Moravia pick out suitable rides and send them to America.
                        The brides lived with another family until the marriage.
                      • Jim M
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 1 3:53 PM

                          >Great idea. Leave no stone unturned!
                          >

                          >Bill
                          >

                          >On May 1, 2010, at 10:17 AM, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:
                          >
                          >> After looking at the Druhopisty as suggested, go back and look for
                          >> your village under the RC records. I swear there are duplicate
                          >> images on some of the GC & RC records for Sulin.
                          >>
                          >> Presuming you are saving the images to disc, I suggest noting the
                          >> year in the name & also, if there are two images of the same page,
                          >> which is 'bad' or 'duplicate see #123' to save searching the
                          >> duplicate again. I also add the first initial of interesting last
                          >> names to ease going back.
                          >>
                          >> It seems the site was down for a while and saving does not
                          >> automatically generate a unique image number. That is a shame, it
                          >> would be handy to coordinate the work between two people searching
                          >> the same village.
                          >>
                          >> Ron
                          >> --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...>
                          >> wrote:
                          >>>
                          >>> Hi Everyone!
                          >>>
                          >>> I am looking through the G C records on the Pilot search for the
                          >>> baptism of my great grandmother, Anna KUNDRAT. Birth date is
                          >>> January 1873 in Rakocz. I have found several other KUNDRAT familiy
                          >>> members in House #7 and House #8, one of these homes is the correct
                          >>> home. However, my BIG problem is that the records begin with 1870
                          >>> through 1872 and SKIP 1873 & 1874 and pick-up again with 1875.
                          >>> I've looked at all 82 pages of the records and everything else
                          >>> seems to be in the correct order (with a duplicate page here and
                          >>> there) but I am used to that. My question is - does anyone know
                          >>> what might have happened to these two missing years of records?
                          >>> Are they lost or could they be in with some other village by mistake?
                          >>>
                          >>> Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
                          >>>
                          >>> Martha

                          >> ! Groups Links

                        • Julie & Kevin
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 1 4:21 PM
                            Hi Bill,

                            This gr gr grand mom of mine was an orphan , her mom died when she was very young & her dad some time before her marriage to my gr gr grand DAD. Now I know why the marriage was in ABAUJVAR . Thank you.

                            Julie B. in NC

                            On May 1, 2010, at 12:03 PM, "Julie & Kevin" <kajbene@... <mailto:kajbene%40bellsouth.net> >
                            wrote:

                            > In looking for a marriage of my gr. gr. great grandparents , I
                            > found it
                            > in the village of HER birth, even though they married in HIS village!
                            >
                            > Julie B in NC

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 1 6:09 PM
                              >>> This gr gr grand mom of mine was an orphan , her mom died when she was very young & her dad some time before her marriage to my gr gr grand DAD. Now I know why the marriage was in ABAUJVAR . <<<

                              1) I think that you are hijacking a thread.
                              2) [ABAUJVAR] Abaújvár is a village in Hungary, next to the Slovakian border. It lies 72 km (45 mi) northeast of Miskolc.
                            • John
                              Message 14 of 21 , May 1 6:14 PM
                                LDS has Abaujvar church records 1744-1895
                              • Julie & Kevin
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 2 1:40 PM
                                  Thank you !! I have it.

                                  LDS has Abaujvar church records 1744-1895

                                • linda bishop
                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 3 8:56 AM
                                    To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: bill.tarkulich@...
                                    Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 08:42:54 -0400
                                    Subject: Re: [S-R] HRABOVCSIK Greek Catholic records for RAKOCZ

                                    Sometimes we find the church records in the village offices. 99% of
                                    the time it takes a personal visit to the village to read them.
                                    Villages very very rarely reply to written requests from foreigners.

                                    Bill

                                    On May 1, 2010, at 4:48 AM, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi Everyone!
                                    >
                                    > I am looking through the G C records on the Pilot search for the
                                    > baptism of my great grandmother, Anna KUNDRAT. Birth date is
                                    > January 1873 in Rakocz. I have found several other KUNDRAT familiy
                                    > members in House #7 and House #8, one of these homes is the correct
                                    > home. However, my BIG problem is that the records begin with 1870
                                    > through 1872 and SKIP 1873 & 1874 and pick-up again with 1875. I've
                                    > looked at all 82 pages of the records and everything else seems to
                                    > be in the correct order (with a duplicate page here and there) but I
                                    > am used to that. My question is - does anyone know what might have
                                    > happened to these two missing years of records? Are they lost or
                                    > could they be in with some other village by mistake?
                                    >
                                    > Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
                                    >
                                    > Martha

                                    > ! Groups Links

                                  • martha.andras
                                    Message 17 of 21 , May 11 4:53 PM
                                      Hi Ron, Bill & All,

                                      I am about half way through the RC records but so far, no luck. I am not sure where to find the Druhopisty. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

                                      Thanks!

                                      Martha

                                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@...> wrote:

                                      > After looking at the Druhopisty as suggested, go back and look for your village under the RC records. I swear there are duplicate images on some of the GC & RC records for Sulin.
                                      >
                                      > Presuming you are saving the images to disc, I suggest noting the year in the name & also, if there are two images of the same page, which is 'bad' or 'duplicate see #123' to save searching the duplicate again. I also add the first initial of interesting last names to ease going back.
                                      >
                                      > It seems the site was down for a while and saving does not automatically generate a unique image number. That is a shame, it would be handy to coordinate the work between two people searching the same village.
                                      >
                                      > Ron
                                      > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Hi Everyone!
                                      > >
                                      > > I am looking through the G C records on the Pilot search for the baptism of my great grandmother, Anna KUNDRAT. Birth date is January 1873 in Rakocz. I have found several other KUNDRAT familiy members in House #7 and House #8, one of these homes is the correct home. However, my BIG problem is that the records begin with 1870 through 1872 and SKIP 1873 & 1874 and pick-up again with 1875. I've looked at all 82 pages of the records and everything else seems to be in the correct order (with a duplicate page here and there) but I am used to that. My question is - does anyone know what might have happened to these two missing years of records? Are they lost or could they be in with some other village by mistake?
                                      > >
                                      > > Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
                                      > >
                                      > > Martha

                                    • Ron
                                      Message 18 of 21 , May 11 5:38 PM
                                        Martha,

                                        Most of the records I looked at on line had a designation for faith and year, I beleive, while one had no designation. That one seemed to contain some scattered records and some duplicates that were published in the 'organized' sections I looked at first. I take those, or a part of those, to be Drugopisty. If they are not there then you will have to go to the LDS office near you, tell them what you found so far, and ask if they have other records on microfilm.

                                        I am in Watson Lake, Yukon, about 1/4 of my way down the Alaska Highway to a Slovak course in Pittsburgh, so I won't be near y personal references for some months unless I uploaded them to my netbook.

                                        I hope someone else can offer more solid advice.
                                        Ron

                                        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

                                        > Hi Ron, Bill & All,
                                        >
                                        > I am about half way through the RC records but so far, no luck. I am not sure where to find the Druhopisty. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?
                                        >
                                        > Thanks!
                                        >
                                        > Martha
                                        >
                                        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Ron" <amiak27@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > After looking at the Druhopisty as suggested, go back and look for your village under the RC records. I swear there are duplicate images on some of the GC & RC records for Sulin.
                                        > >
                                        > > Presuming you are saving the images to disc, I suggest noting the year in the name & also, if there are two images of the same page, which is 'bad' or 'duplicate see #123' to save searching the duplicate again. I also add the first initial of interesting last names to ease going back.
                                        > >
                                        > > It seems the site was down for a while and saving does not automatically generate a unique image number. That is a shame, it would be handy to coordinate the work between two people searching the same village.
                                        > >
                                        > > Ron
                                        > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Hi Everyone!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > I am looking through the G C records on the Pilot search for the baptism of my great grandmother, Anna KUNDRAT. Birth date is January 1873 in Rakocz. I have found several other KUNDRAT familiy members in House #7 and House #8, one of these homes is the correct home. However, my BIG problem is that the records begin with 1870 through 1872 and SKIP 1873 & 1874 and pick-up again with 1875. I've looked at all 82 pages of the records and everything else seems to be in the correct order (with a duplicate page here and there) but I am used to that. My question is - does anyone know what might have happened to these two missing years of records? Are they lost or could they be in with some other village by mistake?
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Any suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!
                                        > > >
                                        > > > Martha

                                      • John
                                        Message 19 of 21 , May 11 6:28 PM
                                          >>> I am about half way through the RC records but so far, no luck. I am not sure where to find the Druhopisty. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? <<<

                                          Are you looking for RC or GC? Your message indicates BOTH. Here is the GC reference.

                                          Inv. č. 973 Druhopisy krstov, uzavreté manželstvá, úmrtí 1882-1895
                                        • martha.andras
                                          Message 20 of 21 , May 14 5:33 PM
                                            Hi John (Bill & Ron),

                                            The family was GC but the years I needed are missing. At Ron's suggestion I am checking the RC records for the smae village.

                                            The link you sent me for Druhopisty seems to have come through all garbled. (see below) I don't know how to access it. DO you mind resending the information?

                                            Thanks!

                                            Martha