Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] OKULAS, LACHKOVICS and KREPCIK my "new" family surnames:

  • qt41059@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2000
      I knew of a Melissa Lackovitch who lived in Lake Station, IN 46405 who would
      be about 42-43 yrs. old now. I believed she married a man with the last name
      of Sarkisian. Hope this helps.
      Kate
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "RJMRAZIK" <RJMRAZIK@m...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        > I recently made contact with a distant cousin who provided some
        additional
        > direct line family surnames of our JURACSICS Family. Our research so
        far, of
        > our JURACSICS surname, seems to come from Mast, Slovakia.
        > I thought I'd post these "new" surnames OKULAS, LACHKOVICS and
        KREPCIK to
        > the list and see if anyone else is researching these surnames.
        >
        > Peggy Mrazik

        Don't know your surnames.
        However...

        Juracsics is a Hungarian spelling, so you really want the surname
        Jurac^ic^.

        Mást is located 9 miles NNW of Bratislava and at Stupava, Slovakia.

        R.C. matriky exist for Mást (1670-1896)

        The LDS-Mormons have not filmed the Bratislava Archives.

        You would need to write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného mesta
        Bratislavy) to research your surname records.
        The parish church records are there.
        It is just that the LDS hasn't filmed them as yet.

        The Slovakia telephone directory lists 15 surname Jurac^ic^ under
        Bratislava and Marianka.

        Same thing with the surname Lachkovics.
        The Slovakia telephone directory alsonlists 66 surname Lackovic^ under
        Bratislava and vicinity.

        Surname Krepcik is O.K.
        Expect that Okulas is a wrong spelling for a Slovak surname.
        In Hungarian Okulás means edification, i.e. to instruct or improve
        spiritually.
      • pkrepcik@povn.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 1, 2001
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "RJMRAZIK" <RJMRAZIK@m...> wrote:
          > Hello,
          > I recently made contact with a distant cousin who provided some
          additional
          > direct line family surnames of our JURACSICS Family. Our research
          so far, of
          > our JURACSICS surname, seems to come from Mast, Slovakia.
          > I thought I'd post these "new" surnames OKULAS, LACHKOVICS and
          KREPCIK to
          > the list and see if anyone else is researching these surnames.
          >
          > Peggy Mrazik

          I've been trying to research the KREPCIK family and have been told by
          our family that there is just the one blood line. I've found
          KREPCIKS in Austria, Australia, Germany and the U.S. and have
          information on quite a few of them but am having trouble finding
          info. on ancestors beyond grandparents. I'm new to the Yahoo Groups
          and geneology so ANY information you can give me concerning facts of
          the KREPCIK family or how to go about locating more information would
          be greatly appreciated. I found some info. thru the Ellis Island
          passenger list but need to go back farther in time. Help!!
        • frankur@att.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., pkrepcik@p... wrote:
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "RJMRAZIK" <RJMRAZIK@m...> wrote:
            > > Hello,
            > > I recently made contact with a distant cousin who provided some
            > additional
            > > direct line family surnames of our JURACSICS Family. Our research
            > so far, of
            > > our JURACSICS surname, seems to come from Mast, Slovakia.
            > > I thought I'd post these "new" surnames OKULAS, LACHKOVICS and
            > KREPCIK to
            > > the list and see if anyone else is researching these surnames.
            > >
            > > Peggy Mrazik
            >

            > I've been trying to research the KREPCIK family and have been told
            by
            > our family that there is just the one blood line. I've found
            > KREPCIKS in Austria, Australia, Germany and the U.S. and have
            > information on quite a few of them but am having trouble finding
            > info. on ancestors beyond grandparents. I'm new to the Yahoo Groups
            > and geneology so ANY information you can give me concerning facts of
            > the KREPCIK family or how to go about locating more information
            would
            > be greatly appreciated. I found some info. thru the Ellis Island
            > passenger list but need to go back farther in time. Help!!

            Don't know your surnames.

            You wrote two of your surnames in Hungarian and not Slovak.
            For all practical purposes your surname Juracsics is Jurac^ic^ and
            the surname Lachkovics is Lackovic^.
            The Hungarian letter 'cs' pron. ch was discontinued in 1910.

            Slovak diacritic letter c^ = ch.

            Mast is located 9 miles NNW of Bratislava.

            The Slovakia telephone directory lists 9 surname Jurac^ic^ under
            Bratislava.
            The Slovakia telephone directory lists 50 surname Lackovic^ under
            Bratislava.

            The LDS has not filmed the records in the Bratislava Archives as yet.
            You can write the Main Archives (Archív hlavného mesta Bratislavy)
            to research your surname records.
            Their narrative research report will be written in Slovak, not
            English.
            If you don't know Slovak you would need to get their research report
            translated.

            There are three different rates.
            Clerical, the cheapest, the basic research, and the most difficult,
            the more expensive.
            They will do research you request then send you a bill which you must
            pay before they send the information.

            Slovak State Archives URLs

            http://www.netway.at/ihff/c.htm

            http://www.slovak.com/genealogy/adresy_na_slovensku.html
          • frankur@att.net
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., pkrepcik@p... wrote:
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@y..., "RJMRAZIK" <RJMRAZIK@m...> wrote:

              > I've been trying to research the KREPCIK family and have been told
              by
              > our family that there is just the one blood line. I've found
              > KREPCIKS in Austria, Australia, Germany and the U.S. and have
              > information on quite a few of them but am having trouble finding
              > info. on ancestors beyond grandparents. I'm new to the Yahoo Groups
              > and geneology so ANY information you can give me concerning facts of
              > the KREPCIK family or how to go about locating more information
              would
              > be greatly appreciated. I found some info. thru the Ellis Island
              > passenger list but need to go back farther in time. Help!!

              You are correct that there is not much to go on.

              All 7 surname Krepcik listed in the Ellis Island database were from
              the same place in Czech-Bohemia, not from Slovakia.
              In Passenger Records letter S was often mistaken for letter L.

              Siegfeld (in German) was called Vite^zov in Czech and is located
              30 miles east of Prague (Praha) and 4 miles WNW of Kolín.
              Small settlement with no church.
              Nearest churches are located at Velim.

              The Czech telephone directory lists a Eva Krepciková under Praha.
              Krepciková is the feminine version of her family name Krepcik.

              Frank Kurcina
            • rpmrazik@msn.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 2, 2001
                Well, it is quite a surprise & pretty neat to see my posting
                OKULAS, LACHKOVICS and KREPCIK my "new" family surnames
                from several months ago on the list again! Please note this e-mail address
                for me (shown below) RJMRAZIK@... is no longer correct. It has been
                changed to rpmrazik@... or you can contact me at digngen@...
                I would be happy to share the information I have for these surnames! If you
                are interested contact me directly at rpmrazik@... or you can contact me
                at digngen@...
                I look forward to hearing from you
                Peggy Mrazik