Re: [S-R] Re: Family secrets

  • M Jenner
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 30, 2010
      My grandmother made my uncle lie in her obituary. She said, don't put in the paper that I was born in Czechoslovakia, they will think I am a communist. She really believed that. Now if anyone reads her obituary in years to come, they will never know she was born in Slovakia. I have a third cousin I communicate with in Slovakia and sometimes when I ask a question that maybe he doesn't think he wants to answer, he just ignores it and doesn't respond. They seem to be much more private people than we are as Americans but we haven't lived though what they lived through. His grandfather's property was taken from him, his great-uncle refused to turn over his property and was thrown in prison. The great uncle son fled to the US to avoid being put in prison. There were stories the cousin had come back to see his parents and was taken by the Russians. They were so fearful. I solved that mystery for them. I found the cousins Social Security application and his
      Social Security Death notification. It turn out he was here the whole time. He died in Schenectady, NY. I contacted the library there but they couldn't find an obituary. I would really like to know what his profession was and if he had any family here, but don't have much to go on. I think he died in 1994. I don't know if I could get a copy of his death certificate since I am not a descendant. I was thinking maybe he went there to work for GE. It has been several years, but maybe I should write to the library and see if there are any city directories from the time he lived there that I could find out where he lived or worked. These Slovak people really knew how to hide their lives. I don't know if he didn't have any family to write an obituary or if he was still afraid someone would find him after all of those years. He came to New Jersey first according to his application in 1953. So he was here for forty years.

      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 30, 2010
        I could be speaking out of line, but my experience for PA has been that I indicate within my request for a death cert that I am doing genealogy and the person is somehow related to me....but, I've never requested for uncle, aunt, cousin,etc. only for grandparents and great grandparents.
        Marge