Re: [S-R] LDS RECORDS RELEASE - It's Names

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
      I spent a little time looking over this. The title is a bit misleading.
      Indeed, the FHL is putting more and more images online weekly. However,
      they did not release 300M records. They released 300M NAMES on their new
      indexing system. Here is the official release: http://tinyurl.com/23d4bq5

      The indexing project is not new, it's been active for about a year now.

      FHL indexing project is open to the general public.
      http://indexing.fsbeta.familysearch.org/ They ask the public (you and me)
      to sign up to help on a particular active "project". A project is a set
      of records, such as birth records for a certain country, city, archive or
      state. You can "vote" on which projects they should start next. Right
      now, there is one project for the Czech Republic and dozens for the USA,
      and many more for other parts of the world.

      You are then assigned a batch of records and asked to type ("transcribe")
      selected fields (first name, last name, dates, parents, etc.) into the FHL
      database. There is a second person entering all the same records, and
      then they have an "arbitration" process to identify the "correct" name.
      The arbitrator is a third person.

      They have about 50,000 volunteers right now. That's about 6,000 names per
      person, so there are some really dedicated folks on this effort!

      After arbitration, the data are final and then made available on the web.
      That allows you and me to search these indexed entries. If a match is
      found, it links us to the online document. 300 million names seems like a
      lot, but in reality, it's a spit in the bucket of time. 300 million
      people in the US, 6.8 Billion alive in the US today. Multiply that by a
      birth, marriage, death and 2.5 offspring per generation and you've got a
      lot of folk!

      You might want to consider getting involved by indexing some records
      yourself if you have the time.
      http://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf

      Regards,
      Bill

      On Fri, April 30, 2010 6:59 am, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
      > Thanks for the note. Not sure there is anything there this group
      > didn't know about already via the labs. Perhaps repackaged. I'll
      > look more later.
      >

      > Bill
      >

      > On Apr 29, 2010, at 11:03 PM, "Julie & Kevin" <kajbene@...>
      > wrote:
      >

      >> Some new records from LDS
      >> Happy hunting ,
      >> Julie B in nC
      >>

      >> LDS RECORDS RELEASE
      >>
      >> From another list ,
      >>

      >> LDS released records today; 300 MILLION of them!
      >>
      >> They have been placed on a new server.
      >>
      >> For list of collections:
      >> http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/s/collection/list
      >>
      >> To immediately search: http://beta.familysearch.org

      >> ! Groups Links

      Bill Tarkulich
      http://www.iabsi.com
    • gklodzen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2010
        Thanks for the information, Bill (and to the volunteers on the project).
        Like others have reported I did find a few new things about my maternal
        grandparents and great-grandparents, and about a cousin of whom I knew nothing.

        Always something to learn,
        Eugene Klodzen

        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2010
          What country collection were those from?

          Bill

        • gklodzen@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , May 3, 2010
            Bill, you asked 'What country were these records from' and the answer is
            the USA, specifically Washington, DC. This information regarding my Irish
            maternal ancestors was posted on the LDS Beta site. No document images,
            rather the information they contained. There was nothing on the Beta site
            regarding village VINNE and my Slovak ancestors, though I must admit the surname
            KLADZAN is not a common one.

            Eugene Klodzen

            Message 5 of 15 , May 3, 2010
              Thanks Eugene,
              Important information, as it gives an indication which country collections
              are being updated. Since you have posted it on a Slovak site, I wondered if
              it might bear some relevance to the group.

              Of course there are dozens of US-records projects underway. There are no
              Slovakia index projects underway or planned.

              Bill

              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

                My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

                Linda
                Message 7 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                  There are many records, but not too many are online. The current FHL Pilot
                  project is bringing many Czech Republic records online as we speak, but
                  you'll need to check regularly. This is a brand new-project - very few
                  Czech Republic records were available before this project began. Expect it
                  to take several years, as they all do.
                  http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=1&p=allCollections

                  The remainder would need to be extracted by someone for hire to hit the
                  streets of the Archives directly for you, for a fee most likely.

                  The FHL has a limited number on microfilm.

                  Bill

                  Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

                  My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

                  Linda

                • helene cincebeaux
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                     hi Linda - do you know about the CGSI - the Czechoslovak Genealolgy and Cultural Society - they have done many data bases and have a huge library and you can arrange a search of records - www.cgsi.org

                    if you might like to explore having someone do research i have a friend who does it tho it's gotten harder as have to reserve way in advance to go to an archive there and use the books, also fees for this.

                    Really important to have 3 things - the person's first and last name, the exact birth date, the place of birth there.

                    i have another friend also in Prague who writes letters to village mayors and people with similar surnames in the phone book.

                    helene
                    helenezx@...

                    ________________________________
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                      Thanks for the feedback. What I have is a land document in Kansas that
                      gives last residence as Pecinov Bohemia.

                      I have a newspaper clipping that shows Georg Pitner visited with his
                      brother James (Wenzel) Pittner .

                      Georg was born in Praha.

                      All three immigrated to Rawlins County, Kansas. There was also a
                      mention of Charles and Michael.
                      For Michael, it says Hungary. I don't know who they were.

                      All ship manifests for Wenzel, Antoin and George show Kingdom of
                      Bohemia. No Town.

                      I plan a trip to Rawlins County to look through old church records,
                      library, court house & museum.
                      Somewhere there must be an ancestral village listed.

                      G-Grandma was Josepha Soukup Pitner. Other Soukup's settles in the area
                      but again only Bohemia.

                      Linda