Re: [S-R] LDS RECORDS RELEASE

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
      Thanks for the note. Not sure there is anything there this group
      didn't know about already via the labs. Perhaps repackaged. I'll
      look more later.

      Bill

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
        I spent a little time looking over this. The title is a bit misleading.
        Indeed, the FHL is putting more and more images online weekly. However,
        they did not release 300M records. They released 300M NAMES on their new
        indexing system. Here is the official release: http://tinyurl.com/23d4bq5

        The indexing project is not new, it's been active for about a year now.

        FHL indexing project is open to the general public.
        http://indexing.fsbeta.familysearch.org/ They ask the public (you and me)
        to sign up to help on a particular active "project". A project is a set
        of records, such as birth records for a certain country, city, archive or
        state. You can "vote" on which projects they should start next. Right
        now, there is one project for the Czech Republic and dozens for the USA,
        and many more for other parts of the world.

        You are then assigned a batch of records and asked to type ("transcribe")
        selected fields (first name, last name, dates, parents, etc.) into the FHL
        database. There is a second person entering all the same records, and
        then they have an "arbitration" process to identify the "correct" name.
        The arbitrator is a third person.

        They have about 50,000 volunteers right now. That's about 6,000 names per
        person, so there are some really dedicated folks on this effort!

        After arbitration, the data are final and then made available on the web.
        That allows you and me to search these indexed entries. If a match is
        found, it links us to the online document. 300 million names seems like a
        lot, but in reality, it's a spit in the bucket of time. 300 million
        people in the US, 6.8 Billion alive in the US today. Multiply that by a
        birth, marriage, death and 2.5 offspring per generation and you've got a
        lot of folk!

        You might want to consider getting involved by indexing some records
        yourself if you have the time.
        http://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf

        Regards,
        Bill

        On Fri, April 30, 2010 6:59 am, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
        > Thanks for the note. Not sure there is anything there this group
        > didn't know about already via the labs. Perhaps repackaged. I'll
        > look more later.
        >

        > Bill
        >

        > On Apr 29, 2010, at 11:03 PM, "Julie & Kevin" <kajbene@...>
        > wrote:
        >

        >> Some new records from LDS
        >> Happy hunting ,
        >> Julie B in nC
        >>

        >> LDS RECORDS RELEASE
        >>
        >> From another list ,
        >>

        >> LDS released records today; 300 MILLION of them!
        >>
        >> They have been placed on a new server.
        >>
        >> For list of collections:
        >> http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/s/collection/list
        >>
        >> To immediately search: http://beta.familysearch.org

        >> ! Groups Links

        Bill Tarkulich
        http://www.iabsi.com
      • gklodzen@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1 6:20 AM
          Thanks for the information, Bill (and to the volunteers on the project).
          Like others have reported I did find a few new things about my maternal
          grandparents and great-grandparents, and about a cousin of whom I knew nothing.

          Always something to learn,
          Eugene Klodzen

          Message 4 of 15 , May 1 6:25 AM
            What country collection were those from?

            Bill

          • gklodzen@aol.com
            Message 5 of 15 , May 3 4:37 AM
              Bill, you asked 'What country were these records from' and the answer is
              the USA, specifically Washington, DC. This information regarding my Irish
              maternal ancestors was posted on the LDS Beta site. No document images,
              rather the information they contained. There was nothing on the Beta site
              regarding village VINNE and my Slovak ancestors, though I must admit the surname
              KLADZAN is not a common one.

              Eugene Klodzen

              Message 6 of 15 , May 3 5:35 AM
                Thanks Eugene,
                Important information, as it gives an indication which country collections
                are being updated. Since you have posted it on a Slovak site, I wondered if
                it might bear some relevance to the group.

                Of course there are dozens of US-records projects underway. There are no
                Slovakia index projects underway or planned.

                Bill

                Message 7 of 15 , May 3 9:11 AM
                  Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

                  My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

                  Linda
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3 10:48 AM
                    There are many records, but not too many are online. The current FHL Pilot
                    project is bringing many Czech Republic records online as we speak, but
                    you'll need to check regularly. This is a brand new-project - very few
                    Czech Republic records were available before this project began. Expect it
                    to take several years, as they all do.
                    http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=1&p=allCollections

                    The remainder would need to be extracted by someone for hire to hit the
                    streets of the Archives directly for you, for a fee most likely.

                    The FHL has a limited number on microfilm.

                    Bill

                    Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

                    My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

                    Linda

                  • helene cincebeaux
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3 1:25 PM
                       hi Linda - do you know about the CGSI - the Czechoslovak Genealolgy and Cultural Society - they have done many data bases and have a huge library and you can arrange a search of records - www.cgsi.org

                      if you might like to explore having someone do research i have a friend who does it tho it's gotten harder as have to reserve way in advance to go to an archive there and use the books, also fees for this.

                      Really important to have 3 things - the person's first and last name, the exact birth date, the place of birth there.

                      i have another friend also in Prague who writes letters to village mayors and people with similar surnames in the phone book.

                      helene
                      helenezx@...

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 3 1:47 PM
                        Thanks for the feedback. What I have is a land document in Kansas that
                        gives last residence as Pecinov Bohemia.

                        I have a newspaper clipping that shows Georg Pitner visited with his
                        brother James (Wenzel) Pittner .

                        Georg was born in Praha.

                        All three immigrated to Rawlins County, Kansas. There was also a
                        mention of Charles and Michael.
                        For Michael, it says Hungary. I don't know who they were.

                        All ship manifests for Wenzel, Antoin and George show Kingdom of
                        Bohemia. No Town.

                        I plan a trip to Rawlins County to look through old church records,
                        library, court house & museum.
                        Somewhere there must be an ancestral village listed.

                        G-Grandma was Josepha Soukup Pitner. Other Soukup's settles in the area
                        but again only Bohemia.

                        Linda