Re: [S-R] translation languages Mahren and family experiences

  • helene cincebeaux
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 29, 2010
      hi Linda -

      Mahren is an old term for Moravia - think it has Germanic roots

      Moravia goes back to the Great Moravian Empire which covered the eastern part of the Czech republic and western part of Slovakia in the 800 and 900s. St Syril and Method were there converting people to Christianity. Later it was the Margravate of Moravia.

      Bohemians came  from Bohemia which was a Kingdom and is now the western part of the Czech Republic.

      Do you have any old records or documents that show where your family came from?

      Not sure Bohemian is a language, likely it is a dialect of the Czech language as is Moravian. Does anyone know this for a fact?

      Bohunks - sort of an alliteration of Bohemian and Hungarian and meant anyone foreign from the Austro-Hungarian dynasty.

      When my mother was 15 and graduating 2 years early from high school they told her to get rid of her "Hunky" earrings (for pierced ears) or she would never get a job. She worked for the entity that became the US Air Corps in Washington DC during W II and helped swear in Clark Gable.

      She should have been the high school valedictorian but was called in and told the principal made a mistake and she got 3rd place and it was too late as the info was already published. She was afraid to go home not being #1 but my grandfather - ever a practical man - said they have to make speeches but you are getting $10!

      He was such a smart man - could fix anything - he had to leave school at age 13 to work in the sugar beet factory; how thrilled he was when i went to college - the first in my family.

      Bears repeating - we live today like the kings and queens and lords our ancestors slaved for - we owe our very good lives to their determination, bravery, and hard work for little pay. So nice to learn about our ancestors - pays honor to them.

      helene

      Message 42 of 42 , May 17, 2010
        Our group is not part of google. You must be logged on to yahoogroups
        with a yahoo i'd.

        Bill