LDS RECORDS RELEASE

  • Julie & Kevin
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29, 2010
      Trying again , hopefully it won't lose the URL

      Sorry about that
      Julie B in NC

      LDS RECORDS RELEASE

      From another list ,

      LDS released records today; 300 MILLION of them!

      They have been placed on a new server.

      For list of collections: http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/s/collection/list

      To immediately search: http://beta.familysearch.org

      ------------------------------------
    • JOHN MITRICSKA
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29, 2010
        I tried the beta site and, jackpot, a whole bunch of information i'd looked for before.  Y'all are great.

        Thanks again,
        John

        Trying again , hopefully it won't lose the URL

        Sorry about that
        Julie B in NC

        LDS RECORDS RELEASE

        From another list ,

        LDS released records today; 300 MILLION of them!

        They have been placed on a new server.

        For list of collections: http://fsbeta. familysearch. org/s/collection /list

        To immediately search: http://beta. familysearch. org

        ------------ --------- --------- ------

      • Ron
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 29, 2010
          Wow!

          About three clicks and a lucky guess on spelling at the time and the grandparents wedding date is now know!

          Thanks.

          Ron

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
            Thanks for the note. Not sure there is anything there this group
            didn't know about already via the labs. Perhaps repackaged. I'll
            look more later.

            Bill

            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 30, 2010
              I spent a little time looking over this. The title is a bit misleading.
              Indeed, the FHL is putting more and more images online weekly. However,
              they did not release 300M records. They released 300M NAMES on their new
              indexing system. Here is the official release: http://tinyurl.com/23d4bq5

              The indexing project is not new, it's been active for about a year now.

              FHL indexing project is open to the general public.
              http://indexing.fsbeta.familysearch.org/ They ask the public (you and me)
              to sign up to help on a particular active "project". A project is a set
              of records, such as birth records for a certain country, city, archive or
              state. You can "vote" on which projects they should start next. Right
              now, there is one project for the Czech Republic and dozens for the USA,
              and many more for other parts of the world.

              You are then assigned a batch of records and asked to type ("transcribe")
              selected fields (first name, last name, dates, parents, etc.) into the FHL
              database. There is a second person entering all the same records, and
              then they have an "arbitration" process to identify the "correct" name.
              The arbitrator is a third person.

              They have about 50,000 volunteers right now. That's about 6,000 names per
              person, so there are some really dedicated folks on this effort!

              After arbitration, the data are final and then made available on the web.
              That allows you and me to search these indexed entries. If a match is
              found, it links us to the online document. 300 million names seems like a
              lot, but in reality, it's a spit in the bucket of time. 300 million
              people in the US, 6.8 Billion alive in the US today. Multiply that by a
              birth, marriage, death and 2.5 offspring per generation and you've got a
              lot of folk!

              You might want to consider getting involved by indexing some records
              yourself if you have the time.
              http://indexing.familysearch.org/newuser/nuhome.jsf

              Regards,
              Bill

              On Fri, April 30, 2010 6:59 am, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
              > Thanks for the note. Not sure there is anything there this group
              > didn't know about already via the labs. Perhaps repackaged. I'll
              > look more later.
              >

              > Bill
              >

              > On Apr 29, 2010, at 11:03 PM, "Julie & Kevin" <kajbene@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              >> Some new records from LDS
              >> Happy hunting ,
              >> Julie B in nC
              >>

              >> LDS RECORDS RELEASE
              >>
              >> From another list ,
              >>

              >> LDS released records today; 300 MILLION of them!
              >>
              >> They have been placed on a new server.
              >>
              >> For list of collections:
              >> http://fsbeta.familysearch.org/s/collection/list
              >>
              >> To immediately search: http://beta.familysearch.org

              >> ! Groups Links

              Bill Tarkulich
              http://www.iabsi.com
            • gklodzen@aol.com
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                Thanks for the information, Bill (and to the volunteers on the project).
                Like others have reported I did find a few new things about my maternal
                grandparents and great-grandparents, and about a cousin of whom I knew nothing.

                Always something to learn,
                Eugene Klodzen

                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2010
                  What country collection were those from?

                  Bill

                • gklodzen@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                    Bill, you asked 'What country were these records from' and the answer is
                    the USA, specifically Washington, DC. This information regarding my Irish
                    maternal ancestors was posted on the LDS Beta site. No document images,
                    rather the information they contained. There was nothing on the Beta site
                    regarding village VINNE and my Slovak ancestors, though I must admit the surname
                    KLADZAN is not a common one.

                    Eugene Klodzen

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                      Thanks Eugene,
                      Important information, as it gives an indication which country collections
                      are being updated. Since you have posted it on a Slovak site, I wondered if
                      it might bear some relevance to the group.

                      Of course there are dozens of US-records projects underway. There are no
                      Slovakia index projects underway or planned.

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                        Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

                        My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

                        Linda
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                          There are many records, but not too many are online. The current FHL Pilot
                          project is bringing many Czech Republic records online as we speak, but
                          you'll need to check regularly. This is a brand new-project - very few
                          Czech Republic records were available before this project began. Expect it
                          to take several years, as they all do.
                          http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#r=1&p=allCollections

                          The remainder would need to be extracted by someone for hire to hit the
                          streets of the Archives directly for you, for a fee most likely.

                          The FHL has a limited number on microfilm.

                          Bill

                          Are there any records, church, civil, census for abt 1850 in Praha?

                          My Pittner and Soukup ancestry leads me to this area.

                          Linda

                        • helene cincebeaux
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                             hi Linda - do you know about the CGSI - the Czechoslovak Genealolgy and Cultural Society - they have done many data bases and have a huge library and you can arrange a search of records - www.cgsi.org

                            if you might like to explore having someone do research i have a friend who does it tho it's gotten harder as have to reserve way in advance to go to an archive there and use the books, also fees for this.

                            Really important to have 3 things - the person's first and last name, the exact birth date, the place of birth there.

                            i have another friend also in Prague who writes letters to village mayors and people with similar surnames in the phone book.

                            helene
                            helenezx@...

                            ________________________________
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 3, 2010
                              Thanks for the feedback. What I have is a land document in Kansas that
                              gives last residence as Pecinov Bohemia.

                              I have a newspaper clipping that shows Georg Pitner visited with his
                              brother James (Wenzel) Pittner .

                              Georg was born in Praha.

                              All three immigrated to Rawlins County, Kansas. There was also a
                              mention of Charles and Michael.
                              For Michael, it says Hungary. I don't know who they were.

                              All ship manifests for Wenzel, Antoin and George show Kingdom of
                              Bohemia. No Town.

                              I plan a trip to Rawlins County to look through old church records,
                              library, court house & museum.
                              Somewhere there must be an ancestral village listed.

                              G-Grandma was Josepha Soukup Pitner. Other Soukup's settles in the area
                              but again only Bohemia.

                              Linda