RE: [S-R] Family secrets

  • Nancy Hayes
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 29, 2010
      I don't know if my dad ever asked his parents any family history-related
      questions when he was growing up, but my mom always told me that whenever
      she would even think of asking any such thing or much of anything else, her
      parents told her, "children are to be seen, not heard", or another one was
      "speak only when you're spoken to"; so she and her sister learned very fast
      that asking questions wouldn't get them any answers.

      When I was growing up, my parents would answer my family history questions
      if they had the answers; and of course mom didn't have much to tell me; just
      a small bit about her dad and a half-sister; otherwise I'd hear, "I don't
      know" which they really didn't know. That really exasperated me to no end,
      so I decided to become the detective in the family. My parents would go
      with me to the different libraries to do research when my kids were in grade
      school; they were excited I think that someone was doing family history
      research, but this was something that neither one of them would ever do
      themselves. Some of the relatives on both family sides would tell me what
      they wanted me to know like the basic birth, marriage and death dates and a
      few would absolutely think I was nuts for wanting to 'live in the past'; one
      relative actually told me, "the past is the past, just leave it there".
      Well that made me dig even more into my research as her attitude seemed like
      she didn't want certain things brought to light; I never found any skeletons
      in her or anyone else's closet and about a year before she died, she mailed
      me her completed family history sheet that I had given her years ago. So
      this proves 'don't give up' even when a relative seems to be totally
      uncaring in your research project. You might get a surprise of information
      in your mailbox some day like I did.

      Nancy

      .

      Message 37 of 37 , Apr 30, 2010
        I could be speaking out of line, but my experience for PA has been that I indicate within my request for a death cert that I am doing genealogy and the person is somehow related to me....but, I've never requested for uncle, aunt, cousin,etc. only for grandparents and great grandparents.
        Marge