Re: Budapest records

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
      wrote:
      > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
      copied them
      > from the certified copied of the birth.
      >
      > Judy

      kerületi = district
      állami = state, public
      anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
      szám = number

      Read magyar but don't speak it.
      Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
      For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

      Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
      So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
      Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
      Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
      equipment for making copies of microfilms.

      For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
      in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

      The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
      Archives in the 1960s.

      Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
      Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

      For example, Budapest

      Római Katólikus Egyház
      Evangélikus Egyház
      Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
      Református Egyház
      etc

      Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
      Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
      Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

      Hungarian English
      rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
      ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
      izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

      For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
      records, which is what your title looks like ?

      Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
      have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
      Budapest.

      Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
      to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

      birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
      marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
      death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

      In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

      Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

      Nem. No. See above.