help with translation please

  • gail c
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2010
      help with translation please............ I have found my great great grandparents marriage certificate Andras Bugyis to Suzanna Varsa October 23, 1871 in

      Pavlovce nad Uhom Slovakia. I would please like a translation of his occupation I believe *in looking at the longhand on the document* it reads

      sorznebeli kozlegeny.............I google translated PRIVATE but private what! lol
      thank you in advance

      Gail Lombardo-Caminiti
    • Janet Kozlay
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 29, 2010
        Private in the army.

        Janet

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2010
          Oh Janet thank you so much!!! I really appreciate it!
          Gail Lombardo-Caminiti
        • Marilyn Hertenstein
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 16 12:43 PM
            Gail,
            I just saw this post, please excuse my delay. My research on my family
            goes back to the 1700 and the family name is VARSA. They all came from in
            and around Teplicska, near Markusovce, near Spisska Nova Ves. Can you
            tell me, is Pavlovce nad Uhom near there?

            Thanks,
            Marilyn

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 16 1:11 PM
              Marilyn,
              Pavlovce nad Uhom is in very far east Slovakia. It is only about 15 miles from Uzhord in the Ukraine. It is just above the city of Velke Kapusany.
              http://en.e-obce.sk/obec/pavlovcenaduhom/pavlovce-nad-uhom.html Link to a information webpage on the village.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavlovce_nad_Uhom Wikipedia article.
              http://www.maplandia.com/slovakia/kosice/michalovce/pavlovce-nad-uhom/ A map to locate it.

              Priezvisko VARSA sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 61×, celkový pocet lokalít: 21, najcastejsie výskyty v lokalitách:
              SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES, okr. SPISSKÁ NOVÁ VES - 13×;
              The above is from the 1995 Slovak Census. 13 Varsa were living in Spisska Nova Ves.
              Some were in the District of Trebisov, which is south of Pavlovce nad Uhom -
              VELKÉ OZOROVCE, okr. TREBISOV - 6×;
              ZEMPLÍNSKA TEPLICA, okr. TREBISOV - 3×
              HRIADKY, okr. TREBISOV - 2×

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 16 1:51 PM
                >>> They all came from in and around Teplicska, near Markusovce, near Spisska Nova Ves. Can you tell me, is Pavlovce nad Uhom near there? <<<

                Pavlovce nad Uhom is south of Michalovce and nowhere near Markusovce. It's a very colorful village and is now overrun with Cigany/Roma/Gypsies.
              • Tom Geiss
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 16 1:57 PM
                  Marilyn,
                  i looked up PAVLOVCE NAN UHOM on the map, and actually it is a bit southeast of MICHALOVCE, nowhere near MARKUSOVCE,
                  And, by the way, I am currently viewing film nos. 1739643 and 1739644 of MARKUSOVCE.
                  I did see three VARSA deaths. One Maria Varsa, in 1853 (Teplikska), Also Stephen Varsa, in 1853. Also George Varsa , in 1854.
                  I will keep my eyes peeled for more.

                  Markusovce is (sort of, I think ?) a suburb of Spisska Nova Ves?
                  Tom

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 17 6:37 AM
                    Thanks Tom. It is most unfortunate that our ancestors were not a little
                    more creative in their naming. I probably have a few dozen Maria Varsas,
                    and even with the year of birth, it is extremely hard, if not impossible to
                    accurately connect or verify them. I will make note of those you found,
                    thanks.

                    Maybe one of my ancestors left Teplicska for Pavloce nam Uhom in search of
                    work or some other reason. Or.maybe they all came from there to Teplicska.
                    Gee I wish I had a magic crystal ball, or the ability to go back in time if
                    only for an hour.

                    Happy hunting my friend,