Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Budapest records

  • Judy/Dick James
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
      I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just copied them
      from the certified copied of the birth.

      Judy

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
        wrote:
        > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
        copied them
        > from the certified copied of the birth.
        >
        > Judy

        kerületi = district
        állami = state, public
        anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
        szám = number

        Read magyar but don't speak it.
        Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
        For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

        Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
        So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
        Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
        Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
        equipment for making copies of microfilms.

        For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
        in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

        The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
        Archives in the 1960s.

        Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
        Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

        For example, Budapest

        Római Katólikus Egyház
        Evangélikus Egyház
        Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
        Református Egyház
        etc

        Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
        Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
        Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

        Hungarian English
        rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
        ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
        izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

        For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
        records, which is what your title looks like ?

        Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
        have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
        Budapest.

        Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
        to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

        birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
        marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
        death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

        In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

        Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

        Nem. No. See above.