Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Budapest records

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
      I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean Catholic?

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
        I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just copied them
        from the certified copied of the birth.

        Judy

        > I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean
        Catholic?

      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
          wrote:
          > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
          copied them
          > from the certified copied of the birth.
          >
          > Judy

          kerületi = district
          állami = state, public
          anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
          szám = number

          Read magyar but don't speak it.
          Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
          For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

          Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
          So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
          Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
          Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
          equipment for making copies of microfilms.

          For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
          in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

          The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
          Archives in the 1960s.

          Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
          Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

          For example, Budapest

          Római Katólikus Egyház
          Evangélikus Egyház
          Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
          Református Egyház
          etc

          Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
          Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
          Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

          Hungarian English
          rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
          ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
          izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

          For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
          records, which is what your title looks like ?

          Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
          have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
          Budapest.

          Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
          to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

          birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
          marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
          death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

          In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

          Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

          Nem. No. See above.