Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Budapest records

  • Judy/Dick James
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
      Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth registration
      which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
      6163 szam 1900
      Birth date: October 24, 1900
      Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
      that I now have?

      Any information would be appreciated.
      Judy

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
        Thanks Andrea,

        I went to that page, most of which dealt with finding a place of origin
        using US records but some of the links went to some Budapest sites.
        Unfortunately my email to the director of the Budapest City Archives
        came back "user unknown"......

        I had previously written to the archives on Leonardo DaVinci street, I
        think that was the state archives.

        But I think my best bet is to buckle down and try once again to write to
        the Silhavy's still living in Budapest. I'll need to find someone to
        translate that into Hungarian. I am starting to get involved in the
        Sister City organization here in Mobile, as we are sister cities with
        Kosice, so maybe someone at one of the meetings will speak Hungarian.

        Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      • Andrea Vangor
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
          I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean Catholic?

          > Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth
          registration
          > which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
          > 6163 szam 1900
          > Birth date: October 24, 1900
          > Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
          > that I now have?
          >
          > Any information would be appreciated.
          > Judy

        • Judy/Dick James
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
            I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just copied them
            from the certified copied of the birth.

            Judy

            > I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean
            Catholic?

          • Frank Kurchina
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
              wrote:
              > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
              copied them
              > from the certified copied of the birth.
              >
              > Judy

              kerületi = district
              állami = state, public
              anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
              szám = number

              Read magyar but don't speak it.
              Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
              For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

              Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
              So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
              Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
              Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
              equipment for making copies of microfilms.

              For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
              in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

              The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
              Archives in the 1960s.

              Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
              Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

              For example, Budapest

              Római Katólikus Egyház
              Evangélikus Egyház
              Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
              Református Egyház
              etc

              Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
              Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
              Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

              Hungarian English
              rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
              ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
              izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

              For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
              records, which is what your title looks like ?

              Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
              have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
              Budapest.

              Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
              to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

              birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
              marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
              death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

              In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

              Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

              Nem. No. See above.