Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Budapest records

  • Andrea Vangor
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
      My impression is that you can find church records for specific places, like
      Budapest, but I don't know if the coverage of the country is as complete as
      it is for Slovakia (with the exception of the south-central records located
      at Banska' Bystrica, because they are still being copied).

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
        Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth registration
        which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
        6163 szam 1900
        Birth date: October 24, 1900
        Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
        that I now have?

        Any information would be appreciated.
        Judy

      • sabinov@webtv.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
          Thanks Andrea,

          I went to that page, most of which dealt with finding a place of origin
          using US records but some of the links went to some Budapest sites.
          Unfortunately my email to the director of the Budapest City Archives
          came back "user unknown"......

          I had previously written to the archives on Leonardo DaVinci street, I
          think that was the state archives.

          But I think my best bet is to buckle down and try once again to write to
          the Silhavy's still living in Budapest. I'll need to find someone to
          translate that into Hungarian. I am starting to get involved in the
          Sister City organization here in Mobile, as we are sister cities with
          Kosice, so maybe someone at one of the meetings will speak Hungarian.

          Helpful Hints for Successful Searching
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        • Andrea Vangor
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 30, 2000
            I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean Catholic?

            > Can anyone tell me which of the LDS films would contain a birth
            registration
            > which has a title of Budapesti VIII. keruleti allami anyakonyvvezetoseg
            > 6163 szam 1900
            > Birth date: October 24, 1900
            > Would there be any additional information to what is on the official copy
            > that I now have?
            >
            > Any information would be appreciated.
            > Judy

          • Judy/Dick James
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
              I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just copied them
              from the certified copied of the birth.

              Judy

              > I'd go browse the collection and look for it -- does keruleti mean
              Catholic?

            • Frank Kurchina
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2000
                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Judy/Dick James" <jajames@c...>
                wrote:
                > I'm sorry, but I don't know what any of the words mean. I just
                copied them
                > from the certified copied of the birth.
                >
                > Judy

                kerületi = district
                állami = state, public
                anyakönyv+vezeto"ség = vital records registry + management
                szám = number

                Read magyar but don't speak it.
                Without accent marks you can often get different word meanings.
                For example, török = Turkish , while torok = throat

                Before WW I, Slovakia was part of Upper Hungary (Felvidék)
                So the Hungarian records that the Mormons filmed were for
                Upper-Hungary, or the Highlands were for Slovakia.
                Think that none of the regional Slovakia State Archives have
                equipment for making copies of microfilms.

                For Hungary you could write the Hungarian National Archives
                in Budapest. But need to write in Hungarian.

                The LDS also filmed the records that were in the Hungarian National
                Archives in the 1960s.

                Look in FH Library catalog under Hungary (not Slovakia)
                Microfilms are listed by place name and by religion.

                For example, Budapest

                Római Katólikus Egyház
                Evangélikus Egyház
                Görögkeleti Magyar Egyház
                Református Egyház
                etc

                Read 55 entries just under Budapest.
                Buda and Pest used to be separate towns.
                Some early records may be listed under only one name or the other.

                Hungarian English
                rk.-RK. római katholikus Roman Catholic
                ag. AG. ágostai Evangelical (Lutheran)
                izr. IZR. izraelita Israelite (Jewish)

                For Budapest (city) you need the district name or address to locate
                records, which is what your title looks like ?

                Also the appropriate megye (county) provincial archives may
                have records (probably the more recent records) if outside of
                Budapest.

                Research in Hungary is regulated by privacy law and records have
                to be a certain age before they can be accessed.

                birth records : before 1910 (last 90 years N/A)
                marriage records : before 1940 (last 60 years N/A)
                death records : before 1970 (last 30 years N/A)

                In Hungarian the parish church records are titled anyakönyvek.

                Halottak Anyakönyve = Death Records

                Nem. No. See above.