Book on Pila

  • tabaileyx2
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
      I am searching for a book entitled something along the lines of "History of Pila." My family is from that small village which is just north west of Zarnovica. (There are two Pila's currently in Slovakia). My Great Aunt told me about a book that tells about the history of this village. But, I can not find it on Amazon and don't know here else to look.

      She said it was written by those who fled Pila and landed in Germany and America. The first half was written in German and the second half appeared to be the same information written in English. It was published in Germany maybe 20 years ago, the purpose was to have the author(s)' descendants know about their roots.

      Can any help me find this book?

      Teresa
    • Nancy Hayes
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
        Hi Teresa,

        Try this site: www.harvestbooks.com 1-800-563-1222

        Supposed to be the best source for out-of-print books, no charge for the
        search, if a copy is available, you'll know immediately, if the book isn't
        quite what you expected, you can return it. If they can't find your book,
        they'll continue to search for up to six months; if one is found, they'll
        let you know the condition and price of the book.

        When you can't find a book on Amazon, then try the used book sellers on
        Amazon; (not sure if they're called Amazon Marketplace or not); that's how I
        found a book I'd been looking for months for and Amazon could never find it,
        but one of their used book sellers had it as a brand new copy.

        You can also look on www.eBay.com, www.halfpricebooks.com

        Good luck! Let us know where you do find the book!

        Nancy

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
          Pila is a very, very small village. It's not likely the book is going to
          show up on an international bookseller's page. I have one from the village
          of Ulic - it is invaluable, but only about 25 pages in length and published
          about 20 years ago. Your best bet is to contact a bookseller in a Slovakia
          large city who would be willing to hunt for you.

          Another valuable resource I use regularly is Dan Kisha who runs an import
          business in the US, who has a partner in Slovakia and between the two of the
          has managed to find pretty much everything I ever needed, at a very, very
          low price. In one case, he found me a book that was available only in a
          library, his partner took a camera and photographed the pages for me.
          http://www.slovakic.com/ daniel.kisha@... or call: 410-273-1149

          For used/out of print books, I have had much success with
          http://www.abebooks.com/ and http://www.alibris.com/

          Good Luck!

          Bill

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
            Teresa,

            Maday, J., et al. Hochwies-Paulisch, Das Siedlungsgebiet um den Reichberg.
            The Family History Library has a copy. This one is in German only.

            Thomas

            ---- Nancy Hayes <viewcards@...> wrote:
            > Hi Teresa,
            >

            > Try this site: www.harvestbooks.com 1-800-563-1222
            >
            > Supposed to be the best source for out-of-print books, no charge for the
            > search, if a copy is available, you'll know immediately, if the book isn't
            > quite what you expected, you can return it. If they can't find your book,
            > they'll continue to search for up to six months; if one is found, they'll
            > let you know the condition and price of the book.
            >

            > When you can't find a book on Amazon, then try the used book sellers on
            > Amazon; (not sure if they're called Amazon Marketplace or not); that's how I
            > found a book I'd been looking for months for and Amazon could never find it,
            > but one of their used book sellers had it as a brand new copy.
            >

            > You can also look on www.eBay.com, www.halfpricebooks.com
            >

            > Good luck! Let us know where you do find the book!
            >

            > Nancy

          • Ron
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
              Teresa,

              Go to Google Books and search for all the variations you can think of, Pila Slovakia, Pila Czechoslovakia, and even the old Hungarian name for the town (I am away from my gazeteer at the moment). Change the results list for m 10 results to 30, 50 or whatever you wish, and you will get lots of results. These may or may not include the book you hope for, but there are a heck of a lot of references in the short experiment I just ran, so you will have a lot to read from many sources.

              When you arelooking at GOogle BOoks they will often give you a "Limited View", so you can examine this and if you find an area cut off that has critical information, make a not of the book title and pages, back out and clear your cookies and then search out the book again and go straight to the pages of interest. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but it is worth trying.

              This should be good for many places in Slovakia, so it is a good general tool.

              And of course, once you have identified a book on Google Books you can try to locate it for purchase.

              Ron

              --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tabaileyx2" <tabaileyx2@...> wrote:

              > I am searching for a book entitled something along the lines of "History of Pila." My family is from that small village which is just north west of Zarnovica. (There are two Pila's currently in Slovakia). My Great Aunt told me about a book that tells about the history of this village. But, I can not find it on Amazon and don't know here else to look.
              >
              > She said it was written by those who fled Pila and landed in Germany and America. The first half was written in German and the second half appeared to be the same information written in English. It was published in Germany maybe 20 years ago, the purpose was to have the author(s)' descendants know about their roots.
              >
              > Can any help me find this book?
              >
              > Teresa

            • CurtB
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
                Teresa,
                Tom Reimer has sent you title of the German book. I don't know why you thought it was partly in English. Perhaps because the description of it on Bill Tarkulich's site is in English someone assumed it was partly in English.

                As you can see by the title the village was mostly known by the name Paulisch, its German name, or Pilla in Hungarian.

                Another short book on the history of Pila was written in Slovak in 2006 and published in the village. Simply titled Pila, and by Vladimir Wolf. Perhaps it is available yet if you write to the village. There is only one known copy in the U.S. - and that at Harvard Univ Library not available except by consultation there.

                Pila, as most villages in Slovakia now, has its own website which you may want to explore at

                www.obecpila.sk

                The mayor's office e-mail address is there. I am sure an inquiry about the Wolf book, would produce an answer.

                Best,
                Curt B.

                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tabaileyx2" <tabaileyx2@...> wrote:

                > I am searching for a book entitled something along the lines of "History of Pila." My family is from that small village which is just north west of Zarnovica. (There are two Pila's currently in Slovakia). My Great Aunt told me about a book that tells about the history of this village. But, I can not find it on Amazon and don't know here else to look.
                >
                > She said it was written by those who fled Pila and landed in Germany and America. The first half was written in German and the second half appeared to be the same information written in English. It was published in Germany maybe 20 years ago, the purpose was to have the author(s)' descendants know about their roots.
                >
                > Can any help me find this book?
                >
                > Teresa

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 26, 2010
                  Teresa,
                  I just sent you a note about Pila web site and referred to the wrong Pila. The one you are looking for is at

                  http://www.e-obce.sk/obec/pilazc/pila.html

                  Sorry about that
                  Curt B.
                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "tabaileyx2" <tabaileyx2@...> wrote:

                  > I am searching for a book entitled something along the lines of "History of Pila." My family is from that small village which is just north west of Zarnovica. (There are two Pila's currently in Slovakia). My Great Aunt told me about a book that tells about the history of this village. But, I can not find it on Amazon and don't know here else to look.
                  >
                  > She said it was written by those who fled Pila and landed in Germany and America. The first half was written in German and the second half appeared to be the same information written in English. It was published in Germany maybe 20 years ago, the purpose was to have the author(s)' descendants know about their roots.
                  >
                  > Can any help me find this book?
                  >
                  > Teresa

                • tabaileyx2
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 27, 2010
                    Thanks for the tip, but I'm confused. This book is about "A Settlement around the Reichberg (mountain)" by Hochwies-Paulisch. My Pila is just North West of Zarnovica in Slovakia. From what I could figure out, the Reichberg mountain is in Southern Germany between Munich and Stuttgart. But, I am unfamiliar with the book area of Bill's website, maybe he links this book to the Pila area.

                    I believe the book is written in English and German because I was told by my Great Aunt, who had a copy of this book at one point, that it was done that way so the descendants that moved to America and Germany could understand it.

                    Could we be talking about two different books?

                    Teresa

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, <treimer@...> wrote:

                    > Teresa,
                    >
                    > Maday, J., et al. Hochwies-Paulisch, Das Siedlungsgebiet um den Reichberg.
                    > The Family History Library has a copy. This one is in German only.
                    >
                    > Thomas
                    >
                    > ---- Nancy Hayes <viewcards@...> wrote:
                    > > Hi Teresa,
                    > >

                    > > Try this site: www.harvestbooks.com 1-800-563-1222 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              1-800-563-1222      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
                    > >
                    > > Supposed to be the best source for out-of-print books, no charge for the
                    > > search, if a copy is available, you'll know immediately, if the book isn't
                    > > quite what you expected, you can return it. If they can't find your book,
                    > > they'll continue to search for up to six months; if one is found, they'll
                    > > let you know the condition and price of the book.
                    > >

                    > > When you can't find a book on Amazon, then try the used book sellers on
                    > > Amazon; (not sure if they're called Amazon Marketplace or not); that's how I
                    > > found a book I'd been looking for months for and Amazon could never find it,
                    > > but one of their used book sellers had it as a brand new copy.
                    > >

                    > > You can also look on www.eBay.com, www.halfpricebooks.com
                    > >

                    > > Good luck! Let us know where you do find the book!
                    > >

                    > > Nancy

                  • CurtB
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 27, 2010
                      Teresa,
                      Hochwies and Paulisch is not the name of an author. These are the German names of villages in Slovakia. Paulisch is the German name for Pila which is just northwest of Zarnovica. Exactly what you are looking for. It is possible, however, that there is a third book that your Great Aunt had seen but no one else knows about or has seen since. Is it possible that it was an umnpublished typescript? I'll poke about in the online catalogs of some German archival libraries by subject and see what I can find, if anything. I'll let you know if anything turns up.

                      Curt B.